Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

MTB Pedal with road bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

MTB Pedal with road bike

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-20, 11:22 AM
nesdog

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by RGMN
Most people I know use the XC series rather than the MX. I have original ATACs, XC6, and XC8 and they all work well. I've had a couple of bails break on the original ATACs but other than a lost dust cap my XC pedals have been flawless, including one pair of XC8 that have 20,000+ miles on them.

IIRC SPD cleats have 4 degrees of float. ATAC have 10, 13 or 17 degrees, depending on which cleat and which direction you install them.
Inasmuch as this is for a road bike application rather than having to deal with dirt and debris, which of the XC series would you recommend?
Old 10-29-20, 12:00 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
I started using Eggbeaters for my commuter bike, they are easy to engage from a stoplight and the shoes/cleats allow you to walk into the office without looking goofy .... well, goofier.

After a while, I just standardized on Crank Bros on all bikes so I can ride any bike with any pair of shoes. I have Eggbeaters on my road bikes and gravel bike; the fatbike has MalletE; and a couple city bikes have platforms.

The way I use bikes, I have a hard time thinking of a reason for proper road pedals/shoes ... I roughly half my rides include a stop where walking around is required (shopping, restaurant, tap room, coffee shop ... )

+1 Very floaty. They get a knock for durability, but that's only an issue for full-tilt mtn biking.

I have them on 3 of 4 bikes.
Old 10-29-20, 12:27 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
+1 Very floaty. They get a knock for durability, but that's only an issue for full-tilt mtn biking.

I have them on 3 of 4 bikes.
I've heard durability issues from others, they have been durable for me. I've found that Eggbeater 1 and 2 aren't long lasting, but Eggbeater 3 are much better.

I don't MTB much, but I'm a gravel rider. For reference, this is one a many memorable gravel rides - 2018 Filthy 50

photo credit - https://markmanoutdoorphotography.com/
Old 10-29-20, 12:43 PM
rogerm3d

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 40 Posts
running time atac pedals on my road (and mountain) bikes, before that used spd pedals. I was interested in the single sided "gravel" pedals but who knows when they will be finally released (due to Time being bought by an Ebike company). For shoes I am using Vitoria 1976 shoes which are nice for road use but they do run on the skinny/tight side
Old 10-29-20, 12:57 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
I've heard durability issues from others, they have been durable for me. I've found that Eggbeater 1 and 2 aren't long lasting, but Eggbeater 3 are much better.

I don't MTB much, but I'm a gravel rider. For reference, this is one a many memorable gravel rides - 2018 Filthy 50

photo credit - https://markmanoutdoorphotography.com/

I also haven't had issues, aside from trouble with an end cap on an eggbeater 1.

Looks like that ride lived up to it's name!
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 10-29-20, 02:04 PM
RGMN

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by nesdog
Inasmuch as this is for a road bike application rather than having to deal with dirt and debris, which of the XC series would you recommend?
I usually avoid the low- and high-end stuff so I've been using mostly XC8 pedals, and have occasionally used XC6. I did have a pair of the titanium spindle XC12s but forgot to swap them off that bike when I sold it. I found out latter the new owner just tossed them out.
Originally Posted by rogerm3d
running time atac pedals on my road (and mountain) bikes, before that used spd pedals. I was interested in the single sided "gravel" pedals but who knows when they will be finally released (due to Time being bought by an Ebike company). For shoes I am using Vitoria 1976 shoes which are nice for road use but they do run on the skinny/tight side
The single-sided Cyclo pedals are out but in limited supply. I've seen them in the wild, and I tried a pair one of my riding friends picked up from Quality. They look nice, and seem to be very easy to flip and clip into. Can't say if the larger platform makes it more stable, my Bont shoes are so stiff they didn't feel any different the my XC8s. I tried to get a pair when I saw Quality had them in stock but when my LBS went to order them they were out of stock.
Old 10-29-20, 05:20 PM
nesdog

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Disc

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by RGMN
I usually avoid the low- and high-end stuff so I've been using mostly XC8 pedals, and have occasionally used XC6. I did have a pair of the titanium spindle XC12s but forgot to swap them off that bike when I sold it. I found out latter the new owner just tossed them out.
I notice the XC models have a smaller body than the MX ones. Wondering how that affects stability or power transfer. Although I note my Frogs have a pretty small engagement spot as well and I manage just fine.