Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cleat Float

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Cleat Float

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-20, 02:26 PM
blinky

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Tuscany with Ultegra R-8000 components

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Cleat Float

This might be a dumb question but here goes anyway - Shimano SPD-SL cleats come in three colors , red, blue , & yellow with respective float of 0, 2 , & 6 degrees of float - since the cleats are attached firmly to the shoes , are the cleats themselves shaped differently so that they provide different degrees of float given that the pedals themselves are identically shaped ?
Old 11-04-20, 02:29 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
So how it was explained to me the cleats are the same size shape but where the cleat engages the pedal is "fuller" in material not allowing the floating feeling you get. If you take a red vs. yellow with a calipers you can measure the difference. I once broke a cleat, LBS only had a blue set, I use yellow. The mech took a grinder to them and put the float back in, enough anyways where it was like the yellow. I replaced it as soon as I could be yeah that is how I understand it.

I am sure somebody can give you a much better explanation.
Old 11-04-20, 02:39 PM
redcon1

Bikes: Focus Arriba, Specialized Roubaix Expert, Bianchi Impulso Allroad

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 53 Posts
https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/infor...t-for-you.html

Shimano's official explanation is that the pivot point is changed between the yellow and blue, I've never checked but there must be a small difference in the contact surface of the two models. I bought a set of blue once because no yellow (that I normally used) were available at the shop. I rode them just fine until they wore out and I changed back to my normal yellow. I do scribe the position of my cleat onto my shoe sole, to allow precise positioning when I replace the cleats.
Old 11-04-20, 02:41 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Originally Posted by sdmc530
So how it was explained to me the cleats are the same size shape but where the cleat engages the pedal is "fuller" in material not allowing the floating feeling you get. If you take a red vs. yellow with a calipers you can measure the difference. I once broke a cleat, LBS only had a blue set, I use yellow. The mech took a grinder to them and put the float back in, enough anyways where it was like the yellow. I replaced it as soon as I could be yeah that is how I understand it.

I am sure somebody can give you a much better explanation.
Thanks. I've never known where the float came from. I've been using LOOK cleats with the no-float black cleats since I have knees that must go no-float. Red cleats come with new pedals but they get tossed in a box. Never sat down to compare the two.
Old 11-04-20, 03:41 PM
blinky

Cleat Float

All great answers and very helpful for my understanding , thanks everyone for your time - I'd like to ask one additional question - what method do you use to mount new cleats on your shoes if they're the first cleats on the shoes and so don't have stenciled outline of your old cleats .
Old 11-04-20, 03:51 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
I put the cleats on. in the best guess I can make, tighten them, put my foot in the pedal and look. Is the ball of my foot right vs the pedal spindle? Distances of ball of foot and heel to crank right? If not, try again. Ride, take notes and tweak.

With some cleat systems, you can access the cleat bolts with the shoe on the pedal. I loosen the straps and step out of the cleated shoe, loosen the bolts a little, get back in and ride, Twist foot till it feels right. Stop, step out, tighten, then remove shoe from pedal.

Edit: typos
Old 11-04-20, 03:54 PM
blinky

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I put the cleats on. in the best guess I can make, tighten them, put my foot in the pedal and look. Is the ball of my foot right vs the pedal spindle? Distances of ball of foot and heel to crank right? If not, try again. Ride, take notes and tweak.

With some cleat systems, you can access the cleat bolts with the shoe on the pedal. I loosen the straps and step out of the cleated shoe, loosen the bolts a little, get back in and ride, Twist foot till it feels right. Stop, step out, tighten, then remove shoe from pedal.

Edit: typos
So it's some trial and error, sounds good , thanks for providing the tip and your method !!
Old 11-04-20, 04:01 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by blinky
So it's some trial and error, sounds good , thanks for providing the tip and your method !!
FYI... BOLD is not necessary.
Old 11-04-20, 05:10 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Hey OP - Watch this:
Old 11-04-20, 05:21 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
The nose of the SPD-SL cleats is slightly different to allow for the differences in float. You can see the differences clearly here: https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/infor...t-for-you.html
Old 11-05-20, 05:29 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I use a cleat placing type template made by ERGO, its pretty neat. Once you find your perfect placement you can mark it if on a new pair of shoes. But a getting it close and then just getting comfortable works great too.

https://www.amazon.com/Ergon-TP1-Shi.../dp/B0039TJYO2

I paid like $10 on ebay for mine.