Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

When is a road safe, or not?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

When is a road safe, or not?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-20, 02:28 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Pretty much. Not that I've polled everybody, but any Varia user that I've asked would replace their unit immediately if it was lost or broken.

that’s been my experience too. I’ve had every version since it was a Kickstarter project. It’s another great safety tool.
Old 11-01-20, 02:32 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
You should argue about a false sense of security after you've ridden with one.
I wasn't arguing anything. I was questioning if it was a smart choice. I don't happen to think so, but feel free to use it. It's legal, have at it.
Old 11-01-20, 02:34 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by CargoDane
I was questioning if it was a smart choice. I don't happen to think so...
That's only because you don't know what you're talking about.
Old 11-01-20, 02:36 PM
JohnJ80

Originally Posted by Robert A
I'm asking because I want to be a safer rider and know how this device adds to the equation. If all it'll do is signal when any car is approaching from behind, I don't see how it'll benefit me. OTOH, if the device can warn about cars that could pass too close, this would help greatly.
just like in a car, you need to continually scan your surroundings and mirror. The Varia Radar gives you 500’ of warning so that you can observe the car approaching and assure that your “taking the lane” has been observed. This is critical information if you plan to ride in traffic.

the Varia Radar allows you to interrupt your scan to deal with an approaching threat.

I ride in a rural area on roads with no shoulder and speed limits of 55mph. An approaching car 500’ away covers that distance in 5-6s. The warning to interrupt my scan and deal with that immediately is critical. I’m an aggressive “take the lane” guy and I ride in traffic as an equal with other vehicular traffic. This is one device if I forget it, I turn back and go get it.
Old 11-01-20, 02:39 PM
WhyFi

I'm asking because I want to be a safer rider and know how this device adds to the equation. If all it'll do is signal when any car is approaching from behind, I don't see how it'll benefit me. OTOH, if the device can warn about cars that could pass too close, this would help greatly.
You can read what's been said before in threads like this - https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...ar-v3-out.html
Old 11-01-20, 02:44 PM
Robert A

Bikes: 2019 CAAD12, 2015 Specialized Sirrus Comp

Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
just like in a car, you need to continually scan your surroundings and mirror. The Varia Radar gives you 500’ of warning so that you can observe the car approaching and assure that your “taking the lane” has been observed. This is critical information if you plan to ride in traffic.

the Varia Radar allows you to interrupt your scan to deal with an approaching threat.

I ride in a rural area on roads with no shoulder and speed limits of 55mph. An approaching car 500’ away covers that distance in 5-6s. The warning to interrupt my scan and deal with that immediately is critical. I’m an aggressive “take the lane” guy and I ride in traffic as an equal with other vehicular traffic. This is one device if I forget it, I turn back and go get it.
I'll check into it. I often ride on PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) with 45-50 mph traffic spanning two to three lanes. Traffic is always present and I'm wondering whether the device can discern what I truly need to know.
Old 11-01-20, 02:50 PM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 69 Posts
I ride in Los Angeles where cars are always overtaking cyclists. How does Varias help?
I don’t live in LA. How would I know?
Old 11-01-20, 02:51 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

That's only because you don't know what you're talking about.
Wow, I don't think I've ever met someone as hyper-aggressive as you.
Old 11-01-20, 02:55 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Originally Posted by yarbrough462
I don’t live in LA. How would I know?
You'd only need to have ridden it in a place where there are lots of cars on the road to answer the question.
Old 11-01-20, 02:59 PM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

What I find more worrying about such things is that many people will then rely on it and think that it's safe because they hadn't had a warning. People on road bikes around here are usually not looking behind them often enough as it is (too focused on aero, power output, and whatever else, I think).
Have you ever used a Varia? From your comments I doubt it...It is just an another tool. I am smart enough to look over my shoulder before I alter my line.
Old 11-01-20, 03:02 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Have you ever used a Varia? From your comments I doubt it...It is just an another tool. I am smart enough to look over my shoulder before I alter my line.
THere are lots of things I haven't tried, but still don't consider it a good idea: Parkour on the outside of high rise buildings, riding my bike at night without lights, and so on.

But it must be said that I'm quite surprised at how much being a Vario user seems to be tied to the very identity of both of you since you both react so aggressively to even normal questions. Which kind of proves my point.
With that I'm out of this thread.
Old 11-01-20, 03:03 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
I think the question is whether or not you have any advance warning of close passes? Or just that X number of cars are coming, how fast, and how far behind?
Old 11-01-20, 03:05 PM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

THere are lots of things I haven't tried, but still don't consider it a good idea: Parkour on the outside of high rise buildings, riding my bike at night without lights, and so on.

But it must be said that I'm quite surprised at how much being a Vario user seems to be tied to the very identity of both of you since you both react so aggressively to even normal questions. Which kind of proves my point.
With that I'm out of this thread.
Thank you...
Old 11-01-20, 03:06 PM
WhyFi

Wow, I don't think I've ever met someone as hyper-aggressive as you.
Because I've pointed out that you're casting aspersions from a position of ignorance?

I've ridden 10k+ miles with a Varia and have been passed by tens (hundreds?) of thousands of cars in that period of time. While I've had false negatives, I've never had it fail to signal a car - ever - so someone arguing that it'll potentially make one *more* unsafe, because it'll imbue a false sense of security, is a bit obnoxious.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 11-01-20, 03:08 PM
Robert A

Bikes: 2019 CAAD12, 2015 Specialized Sirrus Comp

Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
I think the question is whether or not you have any advance warning of close passes? Or just that X number of cars are coming, how fast, and how far behind?
My question as well. There seem to be a lot of fans for the product so it seems worth checking into.
Old 11-01-20, 03:18 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Because I've pointed out that you're casting aspersions from a position of ignorance?

I've ridden 10k+ miles with a Varia and have been passed by tens (hundreds?) of thousands of cars in that period of time. While I've had false negatives, I've never had it fail to signal a car - ever - so someone arguing that it'll potentially make one *more* unsafe, because it'll imbue a false sense of security, is a bit obnoxious.
Final post since you quoted me:

The reason I think it builds over-confidence/reliance is that not everyone rides solely on straight roads, and sometimes there's a cyclist behind you that will block the radar from noticing something further away.

Little did I know that saying something even slightly critical of a frigging bike radar would illicit such a cult-like response.
But yeah, I'm unsubscribing again.
Old 11-01-20, 03:26 PM
WhyFi

The reason I think it builds over-confidence/reliance is that not everyone rides solely on straight roads, and sometimes there's a cyclist behind you that will block the radar from noticing something further away.
Again, you only think that because you haven't used one and don't know what you're talking about. It's actually quite beneficial on curves and does just fine and dandy in group rides.
Old 11-01-20, 03:33 PM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Final post since you quoted me:

Little did I know that saying something even slightly critical of a frigging bike radar would illicit such a cult-like response.
But yeah, I'm unsubscribing again.
Dude...the cyclist behind you does not block the radar. I ride with my wife pretty much every time I go out. She is always in second position and the radar has never failed to pick up traffic behind us. If you had any experience with the product, you would know that. Giving an opinion on the functionality of a product you have no experience with is ridiculous...
Old 11-01-20, 04:05 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Sure, and it can also see around corners.

This thread was about how to tell if a road is safe, not whether or not vario radars was perfect, a do-everything panacea for looking over your shoulders.

Last edited by CargoDane; 11-01-20 at 04:10 PM.
Old 11-01-20, 04:06 PM
JohnJ80

Dude...the cyclist behind you does not block the radar. I ride with my wife pretty much every time I go out. She is always in second position and the radar has never failed to pick up traffic behind us. If you had any experience with the product, you would know that. Giving an opinion on the functionality of a product you have no experience with is ridiculous...
yes. You nailed it.
Old 11-01-20, 04:52 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I respect you greatly, Mr. @Carbonfiberboy, and have about a decade less road-riding experience but sorry ... you don't know how to take a lane.

I take a lane soon enough, and far left enough, that only the stupidest people are ever going to try to pass. I do it when I know there is insufficient visibility for a car to see if the road ahead will be clear long enough overtake me

A car putting two wheels into the opposing lane by three feet will duck back four feet when the driver suddenly sees a car coming head-on---and if the driver was not giving me three feet (which is why I would take a lane--when there is not enough room for a car to pass and leave me enough room to not get forced off the road) then when that driver got fully back into the travel lane, that driver would either hit me, or I would see it all happening and ride off the road---which I have been forced to do, and which is itself a total crap-shoot. I have no idea what might await me off the road, but a lot of times it might be a curb, a ditch, in one case a guard rail---only way not to get hit would have been to go over the rail and down a multi-foot drop.
<snip>
Thing is, standard lane width is 11'-12' and a standard large car is 6.5' wide.. If I were riding 6" inside the fog line, which is normal for me, a car could pass me in my lane and still leave me 2.5'. Trucks are mostly 8' wide, which only leaves me 1'. However IME trucks are more cautious about passing than are cars. I don't recall ever seeing a truck force an oncoming car off the road. If there's a lot of oncoming, I'll pull over to let the truck or bus by.

I have been passed, rarely, by cars which did not put a wheel in the opposing lane. A bit unsettling, but not dangerous. The First Commandment is hold your line. That said, there have been a few riders hit and in some cases killed by the trailer mirror on a pickup truck. However in the cases I've looked at, taking the lane was not an option.

An exception to my 2-lane bridge rule is the long bridge over the Columbia River in the town of Longview. It is well-known hereabouts as the Longview Bridge. It's 2 lane and has trucks, logging trucks. One cannot take the lane. I'd double dog dare you to do it. The lanes are fairly wide, enough that I was able to fix a flat on our tandem in the middle of the bridge, very carefully. On a fine Saturday in early July (STP), about 1,000 - 2,000 riders cross that bridge, all between the trucks and the bridge structure. On Sunday, when the main bunch of 9,000 riders come through, they shepherd then through in big bunches, taking the lane. I guess they figure we one-day riders are good enough to manage to not get killed on our own. So far, so good.

The issue with the law about cycling lane position is that the exception definitely applies to most 2-lane bridges or a traffic circle or roundabout and those sorts of places and does not apply to normal roadways. In those exception cases one must certainly take the lane, and early, However when I was in Paris, admittedly many years ago, bicycles were not allowed to take the lane in traffic circles or anywhere else. Drivers would simply force you over so you rode between the cars. Most bikes were flat bar with narrow bars. When they did the same thing to my BMW motorcycle, I parked it and took the Metro. I'd have like 6" on either side. Terrifying.

Too bad this thread was taken over by the Varia People.
Old 11-01-20, 06:14 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Too bad this thread was taken over by the Varia People.

Really, though - some dude that's never sniffed a Varia just couldn't shut up about what a Varia could or couldn't do and why using one is worse than not.

But yeah, let's get the thread back to a "taking the lane" pissing match - that'll go over well.
Old 11-02-20, 03:12 AM
Branko D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Basically, the more you get used to it, the more confidence you gain, and the more roads will become "safe" consequently. Roads which I considered worrisome when I started riding on the road are now a pleasure to ride on and nothing has been done to the roads. Hold your line and be predictable in traffic and you'll be fine, confidence simply comes with time and exposure.

Never bothered with a mirror myself (if I need to change lanes, etc, prefer to turn and look, instead). Anyway, it's more critical to scan ahead for danger; intersections, cars (or sometimes pedastrians) joining or backing into the road and so on are a much more typical way of crashing than being hit from behind, and aside from the odd prick in a BMW who thinks it's funny to buzz cyclists at 120 km/hr, the cause of just about all the dangerous traffic situations I've been in.
Likes For Branko D:
Old 11-02-20, 05:43 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Motorists are 98+% of traffic, and it only takes one distracted/irate gasaholic to ruin your day... potentially forever. To your reasonability, and economy, be as aware and safe as you can. Then accept whatever happens... you've done your best.

Expecting the 98% to clean up their acts, first, is reasonable... but they are not....
Old 11-02-20, 06:51 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 217 Posts
TortoiseAvenger - you may want to look at the "Level of Traffic Stress" scoring methodology that came out in California a few years ago and that is in use by my county's transportation planners. Look here to see an example of the levels and rationale they used in our local master plan. Definitely not a panacea, but gives you some ways to think how your personal definition of "safe" matches or doesn't match that of transportation planners.

They also built a web site for our county roads colored coded by stress - look here.

All that said, it is still a YMMV (Your Mental Model May Vary...) scenario. I routinely ride stress-free on many of the roads coded as high stress but not the coding key says "Inappropriate for children and most adults" - my wife and her cycling group would never ride on most of those roads.

Almost all bike paths are shown as either medium or low stress, but between poor maintenance and high level of walkers/dog walkers, etc, I'd rather ride on the shoulder of the high speed road next to it - my wife and her friends take the path.

Finally, there are roads that at age 63 I don't bike on any more that I routinely biked problem-free in my 20s and 30s - my personal definition of safe/low stress changed, not the roads. There are also roads that did change, added enough shoulder that I can now ride them and wouldn't back then.

Originally Posted by TortoiseAvenger
Hi there:

I've made bicycling my primary form of transport. Luckily the greenway nearest my house connects me to everything I need with minimal spurs off the trail onto roads.

I would like, however, to get more comfortable with riding on the roads. It would greatly expand the places I could go, which might keep me more motivated. I feel comfortable enough with downtown 25 mph situations, it's the 45 mph back roads that freak me out. With google street view I can check out a road before I go, but it's hard to know where to draw the line on what is safe and what isn't. To make matters worse, the data on safety (I'm a scientist by training, I'm comfortable dissecting it) is lacking.

Any suggestions? Where is your "line" in terms of what's safe and what isn't? What speed? Shoulder required?

Thanks for the help!
Likes For jpescatore:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.