Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for long sleeve jerseys

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-20, 06:12 PM
Le0iscool

Bikes: 2021 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 1+ Compact

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi guys! New to this forum here

I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on shorter length long sleeve jerseys, primarily when it comes the length of the sleeves. I recently purchased a specialized RBX long sleeve jersey and have noticed that the sleeve length is too long by about 2 to 3 inches.

The few long sleeve jerseys I’ve purchased through amazon were also the same. Also I like the arms fitting pretty snug, as it bothers me when extra fabric flaps around while riding

I’m 5’2” @ 170 lbs and generally find large to be the best fit at the moment for the current short sleeve jerseys I own.

TIA

Last edited by Le0iscool; 11-04-20 at 07:25 PM.
Old 11-04-20, 08:45 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
Originally Posted by Le0iscool
Hi guys! New to this forum here

I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on shorter length long sleeve jerseys, primarily when it comes the length of the sleeves. I recently purchased a specialized RBX long sleeve jersey and have noticed that the sleeve length is too long by about 2 to 3 inches.

The few long sleeve jerseys I’ve purchased through amazon were also the same. Also I like the arms fitting pretty snug, as it bothers me when extra fabric flaps around while riding

I’m 5’2” @ 170 lbs and generally find large to be the best fit at the moment for the current short sleeve jerseys I own.

TIA
You have three options: grow 10 inches taller (so that size L will fit properly), lose 50 lbs (so that size S will fit properly), or find a seamstress to shorten the sleeves on your size L jerseys.
Old 11-04-20, 09:46 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,431 Times in 2,759 Posts
Yeah, probably no surprise to you that a jersey that fits your middle will be too long, body and sleeves. You can roll up the sleeves but you'll have to live with the pockets down around your butt. I know this from personal experience.
Old 11-04-20, 10:09 PM
jfh

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 4 Posts
I've found myself wearing my long sleeve jersey less and going short sleeves + arm warmers (often + vest) for more versatility; you might be able to find some in the appropriate size. Most of my rides have long-ish climbs so I'll pull them down if I get warm, and pull them back up for the descent. I also use them for my night-time soccer league; they are easy to discard as I heat up.
Old 11-05-20, 04:19 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Check AeroTech. They made cycling garments for real world cyclists, not just toothpicks on wheels. A looser fitting medium might be a better fit in the sleeve.
Old 11-05-20, 04:29 AM
gios

Bikes: 2021 Litespeed T5 105, 1990 Gios Compact Pro 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 182 Posts
Decades ago I got a long sleeve gray Pearl Izumi jersey that I wear on cold rides. An actual Made in the U.S. label.
Old 11-05-20, 12:51 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
Another option might be a "fall" rated thermal base layer underneath a regular short sleeve jersey. All my thermal base layers have significantly shorter sleeves, probably exactly to avoid bunching around the wrists. (I generally have the opposite problem though, of sleeves being too short.)
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Likes For sfrider:
Old 11-05-20, 03:18 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by canklecat
Check AeroTech. They made cycling garments for real world cyclists, not just toothpicks on wheels. A looser fitting medium might be a better fit in the sleeve.
That's actually a good call. They do have a few race-fit jerseys, but much of their stuff is a bit more comfort-oriented. Plus, it's made in Pittsburgh, and the Aerotech guys are super cool. They come out to support some of the big races -- they had the best sag stop on the Hilly Billy Roubaix the year I did it.
Old 11-05-20, 03:28 PM
drewtk

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 31 Posts
+1 to short sleeve jersey + arm sleeves. I have the same problems finding proper length long sleeve jerseys, and they all seem to be too loose as well. I have a set of thin “sun sleeves” and a thicker pair of arm sleeves, then I’ll layer on top of that if necessary.
Old 11-07-20, 01:33 AM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by drewtk
+1 to short sleeve jersey + arm sleeves. I have the same problems finding proper length long sleeve jerseys, and they all seem to be too loose as well.
Most long sleeve jerseys are club fit. Voler makes race fit long sleeve thermal jerseys, and Verge Sport has skin fit.

I have a set of thin “sun sleeves” and a thicker pair of arm sleeves, then I’ll layer on top of that if necessary.
Short sleeve jerseys don't have thermal fabric.

Most long sleeve jerseys are club fit. Voler makes race fit, and Verge Sport has skin fit.
Old 11-08-20, 08:10 AM
Koyote

OP has not been back since the day he started the thread. There seems to be a lot of this stuff lately. New poster wants advice or reassurance, starts a thread, gets a whole bunch of suggestions, and then never sees them.

Perhaps, in addition to requiring a minimum number of posts before putting up photos, there should be a minimum before starting a thread. Might cut down on the noise pollution around here.
Old 11-09-20, 10:18 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
OP has not been back since the day he started the thread. There seems to be a lot of this stuff lately. New poster wants advice or reassurance, starts a thread, gets a whole bunch of suggestions, and then never sees them.

Perhaps, in addition to requiring a minimum number of posts before putting up photos, there should be a minimum before starting a thread. Might cut down on the noise pollution around here.
I'm with you on that, but such a limitation will likely only give us more Zombie thread revivals.
Old 11-09-20, 07:37 PM
Le0iscool

Bikes: 2021 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 1+ Compact

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

No, I’ve just been busy with real life just like everyone else. Anyways, I’ve read through the suggestions and do find them very helpful. I actually had trouble finding a tailor with a “serger” sewing machine to try and shorten my sleeves so I ended up returning that piece to keep shopping around.

Last edited by Le0iscool; 11-09-20 at 07:40 PM.
Old 11-09-20, 10:07 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts

That's not unusual. I was a mod on a couple of niche hobbyist sites for more than a decade. Some members only checked in once a week, usually weekends. Often that leaves enough time for a few relevant suggestions and wrap-up from an OP.