Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Carbon Wheelset Question

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Carbon Wheelset Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-20, 03:15 PM
dimethi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Carbon Wheelset Question

Hi all,

Recently purchased a new carbon wheelset and I see there are a lot of pockets in the rim bed. Is this something that should be warrantied, or are they just cosmetic issues? Not sure if they only exist on the outermost layer or if it's likely voids exist in the middle layers; I won't be able to x-ray them until a few weeks later. I've included a link to the album as well as attached a picture inline.

Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks!

Album: https://imgur.com/a/0Rbduxf

Old 11-06-20, 03:51 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
I wouldn't be happy with that. What did the manufacturer say? Who is the manufacturer?
Old 11-06-20, 04:01 PM
dimethi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I wouldn't be happy with that. What did the manufacturer say? Who is the manufacturer?
It's definitely not what I expected either, I haven't seen anything like it on my other wheels. Manufacturer is Speeder Cycling, they provided the rims to Winspace for their Hyper lineup.
Old 11-07-20, 07:23 PM
BenBoozer

Bikes: 2020 Domane SL 5, 2016 Crossrip Comp

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 17 Posts
I have a carbon set from Light Bicycle and while they may not top end wheels, they have zero visible imperfections. Love em.
Old 11-07-20, 07:52 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
That is not good. Air pockets in carbon are bad and points of failure. Send them back.
Old 11-09-20, 03:03 PM
dimethi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Manufacturer response: "The small voids in the rim bed are normal, it won't affect the durability. Most of other factories will paint the rim bed to cover the voids but it will add the weights and improve nothing, so we prefer to keep the rim bed natural when it comes out from the mold. Our rim bed is shaped by filament wound processing, so it is much stronger than others. It exists on the top layer only where we pull out the mandrel."

I plan on having the wheels x-ray'd and will update if it turns out to be bogus.
Old 11-09-20, 05:29 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
The top layer is aesthetic anyway. I wouldn't worry about it since you'll never see it once the rim tape, tube, and tire go on.

The bit about it being a point of failure is hilariously ridiculous.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 11-09-20, 06:36 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Ask Hambini; he'll know.

Old 11-09-20, 08:48 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 1,010 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
The top layer is aesthetic anyway. I wouldn't worry about it since you'll never see it once the rim tape, tube, and tire go on.

The bit about it being a point of failure is hilariously ridiculous.
Go to the 1 min mark.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET1jRVynOBA

Old 11-09-20, 09:25 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
these wheels are using filament wound? That's a different construction technique then most carbon wheels on the market.
But I'm not implying one way or another that filament wound wheels naturally have these holes.
Having said that, voids in carbons are over stated IMO. You're not going to get a perfect carbon frame/wheels without any void., you just don't at the level of construction employed by the bicycle industry. I have/and still am riding a carbon tubular wheel that has a 1cm crack on the side of the brake track. I've have been riding it for over a year now and the crack has not grown one bit. I doubt that those small voids on a rim bed will come anywhere close the stress force that a 1cm crack on the brack track will see. On my MTB, I've als put a small crack on one of the carbon wheels right on the side of the rim at the brake track too (when i hit a rock hard), but I just JB Weldit it and still raling on that MTB today. Personally, I would not worry about the voids on your rim one bit.

Last edited by aclinjury; 11-09-20 at 09:28 PM.
Old 11-10-20, 04:38 AM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by jaxgtr
No.

Again. The top layer is cosmetic, not structural.
Old 11-10-20, 04:42 AM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by aclinjury
I have/and still am riding a carbon tubular wheel that has a 1cm crack on the side of the brake track. I've have been riding it for over a year now and the crack has not grown one bit.it.
Same. I have a front Zipp 404. Cracked at the top of the brake track from a pot hole and runs all through to the spoke hole. I can feel the spot when braking, but hasn't changed a bit in five years.