Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Mavic stuff

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-21, 04:17 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 420 Posts
Mavic stuff

I'm debating converting my Ti Raleigh back to its Japanese-equipped roots. Therefore I'm probably going to part with Mavic stuff before it ends in a box.
-
  • Curious what the drivetrain (levers, crank, mechs) is realistically worth?
  • What about the Mavic-on-Mavic wheelset?
  • What about the rear SSC mech and misc parts?
  • The entire lot?

Thanks for your feedback. Drivetrain here, note the chip on the [replaceable] front mech :

Wheelset here:

Extra SSC mech with its adapter and some misc bits

Old 02-05-21, 09:44 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,214 Times in 1,103 Posts
Are those tubular rims (MA4?) and if so do the braking surfaces look like?
As you may know, the hubs are very nice and have sold for >$40 each and ususally much more.
Mavic Hub description, on Flickr
MavicManualPg1 on Flickr
MavicManualPg2 , on Flickr
Old 02-05-21, 01:09 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Originally Posted by SJX426
Are those tubular rims (MA4?) and if so do the braking surfaces look like?
As you may know, the hubs are very nice and have sold for >$40 each and ususally much more.
Mavic Open 4 CD clinchers laced w/DT Swiss spokes.
Very little wear on brake surfaces, worst pictured below.
Shimano skewers and Dura Ace MF-7400 fw 11-24 (IIRC) w/plenty of life.
Fairly new rubber, I hate white tires but it popped on the Ivory + black equipped bike sporting them, could easily toss on other rubber for an interested party.

Yes, the hubs are spendy, but worth every penny, they're light as hell and spin like butter. I know I've got $75-100 in the hubs, for a fully laced, trued, tubed & rubbered wheelset I'm thinkin $200-250 local sale. I'm not looking forward to selling, but I will if price dictates it. I'd love to net $400+ship for everything in this thread but I feel like my ability to read the market (and sometimes the crowd) is terrible these days.

Our of 25 wheelsets I have on-hand right now, this is probably in my top 3 favorites.

Old 02-22-21, 04:35 PM
panzerwagon 
Garage tetris expert

Bikes: A few. Ok, a lot

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 691 Times in 328 Posts
Has there ever been a good workaround for loosening those hub lock washers without that silly expensive 6-pin Mavic tool? I recall the modern plastic spanners not being up to the task, but perhaps something else has been found since.
Old 02-22-21, 08:53 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 630 Posts
What is the rear hub I'm wondering how you could get a Dura cassette on a Mavic/ Sachs hub which is threaded ?
Old 02-23-21, 08:16 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Originally Posted by zukahn1
What is the rear hub I'm wondering how you could get a Dura cassette on a Mavic/ Sachs hub which is threaded ?
MF-7400 freewheel is threaded. VeloBase.com - Component: Shimano MF-7400, Dura-Ace (7sp)

Note 2nd pic.

Old 02-28-21, 10:42 PM
celesteguy 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 54 Posts
I've got some Mavic skewers in the parts drawer if you're interested. I have no idea if they are worth anything or not. They are in okay shape, but far from pristine.
Old 03-02-21, 08:48 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 241 Posts
I put those same hubs/rims on my daughter's Raleigh Team Professional. They are beautiful hubs. The rest of her bike is all Campy Nuovo Record but instead of putting on Campy wheels I put these on because I like them better.

Originally Posted by francophile
Mavic Open 4 CD clinchers laced w/DT Swiss spokes.

Old 03-02-21, 08:49 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

I may be interested if they are available and not too pricey.

Originally Posted by celesteguy
I've got some Mavic skewers in the parts drawer if you're interested. I have no idea if they are worth anything or not. They are in okay shape, but far from pristine.
Old 03-03-21, 08:59 AM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Originally Posted by rjhammett
I put those same hubs/rims on my daughter's Raleigh Team Professional. They are beautiful hubs. The rest of her bike is all Campy Nuovo Record but instead of putting on Campy wheels I put these on because I like them better.
The more I dwell on it, the more I'm realizing I don't think I want to part with them. The rest of the stuff I really don't care as much about, but at ~450g and smooth sealed bearing performance it's really tough to let go. Only lighter hubsets I have are Dura Ace 7400 and some Hi-E hubs at the moment, the latter not-so-serviceable, and the former bearing-ball centric which I don't find as smooth or quiet.

Old 03-03-21, 10:25 AM
rjhammett

Smart move.

Originally Posted by francophile
The more I dwell on it, the more I'm realizing I don't think I want to part with them. The rest of the stuff I really don't care as much about, but at ~450g and smooth sealed bearing performance it's really tough to let go. Only lighter hubsets I have are Dura Ace 7400 and some Hi-E hubs at the moment, the latter not-so-serviceable, and the former bearing-ball centric which I don't find as smooth or quiet.