Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for Good SS Wet Chain and Gear Lube?

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 02-22-21, 04:41 PM
5 mph

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 50 Posts

Anyone have recommendations for a good Wet Chain and Gear Lube? It rains out here very day outside of Seattle. It can rain really hard, too.
For a while I started using 90 W manual transmission gear oil that I found in my garage.
I think it did a good job, but the bottom half of my Bike looks like one of those old cars where the oil seals and gaskets have failed,
I still have two months to go ( and lots of 90W) I don't want to see the teeth on my White Industries Freewheel eroded?
Anybody got a suggestion for something just as good as gear oil but not as Dirty?
I'm at 3/32" on my Pista and I'm buying a nice Sugino Chain Ring soon also.
Old 02-22-21, 10:34 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...you are kidding right? This is a joke? Please tell me you didn't start another lube thread out of a million lube threads on this board. Pick some bike lube up at your bike shop and you will be fine. Seriously they are all probably pretty good if they are formulated for bike chains. Maybe one is so much better maybe, I like to think my ceramic wax lube is great but it could just be average and that average is doing the job for me so I stick with it.

Chain lube is good for the chain buy whatever your local shop sells, clean and lube with some regularity and just ride the damn thing. You will be fine.
Old 02-23-21, 12:04 AM
5 mph

Originally Posted by veganbikes
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...you are kidding right? This is a joke
HAHAHAHAHA
Yes I guess that was stupid. Maybe I should have asked what is the best air for a tire? Anyway thanks for the answer.
Old 02-23-21, 07:34 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Originally Posted by 5 mph
Yes I guess that was stupid. Maybe I should have asked what is the best air for a tire? Anyway thanks for the answer.
Hey no worries, sorry if I was overly harsh. We just see so many of those threads and for a while if you were doing a drinking game you would have had alcohol poisoning.
Old 02-23-21, 08:03 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Helium to save grams.

As for lube, I pretty much exclusively use T9 now. I can't remember if it's a wet or dry lube, and the bottle is all the way downstairs, but it goes on without the mess all over my floor (cough cough White Lightning) and stays clean pretty well compared to most other lubes I've used (cough cough White Lightning).
Likes For seau grateau:
Old 02-24-21, 01:14 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
T-9 is my current favorite, but Tri-Flow, Finish Line, whatever, all work fine. Anything's better than WD40. Wipe your chain, lube it, wipe it, ride it, repeat.
Old 02-24-21, 07:33 AM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 147 Posts
Rock n roll gold. Cleans and lubes. Have not noticed excessive chain wear using it. Got a giant bottle that will last years for 20 bucks. Chain L is good but smelly and expensive.
Old 02-24-21, 09:18 AM
franswa

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 105 Posts
Chain L is what I use and have found it to perform the best, so the price seems justified. Have not noticed any odd smell like mentioned above^
Old 02-24-21, 09:29 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Chain L is my choice.

Clean the chain then just Add One Drop to each Link

Old 02-24-21, 01:56 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
I've used plenty over the years and I always come to the same conclusion as several of the others that have posted here. They all work. They all may have certain features that make them advantageous for certain environments, but in my opinion, keeping the chain and the rest of the drive-train clean is equally important.
Old 02-24-21, 02:08 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,916 Times in 2,547 Posts
For Seattle where I used to live and commute 16 each way 3 days a week year round and Portland, I use FinishLine wet MTB lube for my two city/commute bikes. Works, stays on (even through very heavy rain or immersion, does pick up dust and grit. Good stuff, not magic. The dry/good bikes get TriFlo applied frequently and after every rain.
Old 02-24-21, 09:28 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
I have used Tri-Flow with decent results. I’ve switched to (Boeshield) T-9 and prefer it. It seems to attract slightly less dust and grit.

I’m a minimalist on chains: I wipe stuff off after a ride with a paper towel or use a chain cleaning brush. I reapply lube every few weeks. When I reach 1% stretch (spec for SS) I spend another $10 on a chain.

Otto
Old 02-24-21, 10:21 PM
5 mph

I'm finally to the end of my 90 weight transmission gear oil bottle. My socks are all covered with black stains and so are my legs.
I'm going to get the real stuff now. But I will say this . After degreasing my entire bike, the drivetrain looked in good shape.
Old 02-28-21, 05:46 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts
I'm finally to the end of my 90 weight transmission gear oil bottle. My socks are all covered with black stains and so are my legs.
I'm going to get the real stuff now. But I will say this . After degreasing my entire bike, the drivetrain looked in good shape.

I used to use T9 but now have converted to wax base lube which is so much cleaner. I use Squirt Lube

If you don’t want grease marks do some research on wax lube.
Old 02-28-21, 05:56 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by jay4usc
I used to use T9 but now have converted to wax base lube which is so much cleaner. I use Squirt Lube

If you don’t want grease marks do some research on wax lube.
That research will likely show that wax lube excels in dry conditions but performs poorly in very wet conditions, where the wax can't stay where it's needed. OP specified very wet conditions, which is why wet lubes are recommended. Yeah, they pick up dirt and leave tattoos, but they also stay on the chain when it's wet.
Old 03-05-21, 04:16 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 986 Times in 519 Posts
I live and ride in Cambodia where it can be dusty dry for 6 months and sloppy rainy for the other. I use ATF, it is very effective for my situation, stays on the chain, I spray or drip it on the chain, wipe off the excess and ride. Clean up is easy, take the chain off, dunk it in more ATF, hang it to drip, wipe off excess, reinstall chain, ride. In between heavy cleaning I wipe the chain with a clean rag, drip more ATF on, wipe off excess, ride. If it is rainy and I am road riding I just add a bit more ATF, on the dirt, it needs to be wiped just about every ride.
Old 03-06-21, 01:38 AM
Novalite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
2 years all weather riding with a motorcycle 3/16" chain and 1 year with a 1/4", using automotive oil as lubricant / rust protector.
Experiences:
- Every time I oil the chain, subsequent days I have to re-tension the chain.
- Every time I ride in rain, same.
- When dry weather for long periods, even months, never have to re-tension.
Conclusion/opinion/theory:
- Liquids drives dirt and wear particles out the joints, causing more room there, causing the chain to become longer under tension.
- Apparently, as long as wear products don't leave the place of the wear, the pin distance doesn't alter, at least not under the pressure exerted by the force of human legs.

So far I protected the chain from dirt from the wheels. The frame clearance doesn't allow a chain enclosure so I did that along covers mounted on the frame at the wheels. Plan is now to mount some cover agains rain too, idea is clamps on seat and lower tubes, and on the clamps some cutouts from fenders, goal to reduce the amount rain water on the chain, to see what it gives.