Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

plz help with frame id

Old 02-25-21, 12:58 AM
celesteguy 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 50 Posts
plz help with frame id

So I picked up this bike a while back. It had full Campy Record except for a Shimano 600 crankset. No decals. Bad paint, scuffs and chips all over, but looks original.
Italian threaded bb shell, 27.0 seatpost diameter (columbus SL?), Campagnolo rear drop outs, nice lugs, only markings on bb shell is "53" which I assume is the size. Measures 54cm c-c on both tubes. 27" wheels. Pretty light weight at about 4.5 lbs. The fork that came with it was a fully chromed Tange fork. Pretty sure that was not original, but dont know.

Any ideas on value? Not sure what to do with it. If it was my size, I'd build it, but it's way too small. Anyways heres pics:

Old 02-25-21, 02:10 AM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 207 Posts
Looks like a Viner Record. Brochure does not show slotted BB shell but that is also typical Viner (except Professional).

Last edited by Insidious C.; 02-25-21 at 02:13 AM.
Likes For Insidious C.:
Old 02-25-21, 04:01 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 420 Posts
I agree, tons screaming Viner on that. Clearly late 70s/early 80s based on the dropouts. You have the fork also, or no?

Old 02-25-21, 04:07 PM
celesteguy 

Thank you guys for the help!

The fork that came was a tange chrome fork. Looks just like the one that I see on those Viners, but no Campy drop out since its Tange. Looks great with the frame but not likely original. Not sure why, as there doesnt appear to be crash damage or anything, and it had a Campy record headset. I don't know.
Old 02-25-21, 04:54 PM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 207 Posts
Original fork would look like this. The stiffeners with slotted windows are tell tale.

Old 02-25-21, 05:43 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 414 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3783 Post(s)
Liked 3,287 Times in 2,147 Posts
-----

Viner marque a compound word made from founder's name - Vincenzo Nerozzi of Pistoia Italy

Importer for the cycle or frameset may have been Gus Betat of New Orleans

They were a Viner agent at this time

appears to be from the 1979-82 window

-----
Old 02-25-21, 06:43 PM
celesteguy 

Definitely not OG fork:

But not a horrible substitute.
Old 02-25-21, 07:25 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 420 Posts
Originally Posted by celesteguy
Definitely not OG fork:

But not a horrible substitute.
Had a similar case with a Spanish SLX-tubed Razesa I sold to another BF'er last year, if my memory is working correct (probably not)

If I also remember correctly, I assumed it was SLX fork because I felt helical ridges inside, but apparently the count was plus or minus one, as certain Tange had one count of ridges and SLX used another? I always need to look up stuff like that.

But anyway, obviously Covid has my brain not working because that was 2 years ago. And as you see if you click on the thread up there, the fork fits the bike rather nicely. But no frame damage indicating crash.

It's always wise to check for damage when the fork isn't original. I know ppl say "be wary" if you find it. But let's be honest: bikes saw a wild array of upgrades through the 90s and 00s to cut weight and modernize. Frames lost their forks, it happens...

Nothing more to add here from my side, though. I wholeheartedly suspect it's a Viner, the cutout and details are familiar. Some items to compare against, and note how close the "Riggio" is, minus the fork crown and slightly different cutout shape.

Slightly newer model, slight diff't cluster, same BB cutout: https://www.velosaloon.com/products/...olumbus-cromor

Another, again, lug cutout right, BB cutout right, yup: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...tic-viner.html

Riggio, lots of similarities but not quite same: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...gio-viner.html

I suspect this could be either a Viner, Riggio or ??/: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ike-viner.html

Old 02-25-21, 11:04 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 414 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3783 Post(s)
Liked 3,287 Times in 2,147 Posts
-----

IIRC (one jumbo caveat! ) our T-Mar hath writ that five ridges make a steerer a product from good old A.L. Colombo

---

there is a Riggio brochure from roughly this time archive here -

https://bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/riggio/

-----

Last edited by juvela; 02-25-21 at 11:13 PM. Reason: addition
Likes For juvela: