Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do you prefer solo rides to group rides, and why?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 02-28-21, 03:57 PM
kirbyx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 12 Posts

Does anyone out there prefer solo rides, and avoids group rides. Why do you have that preference?
Likes For kirbyx:
Old 02-28-21, 04:00 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,942 Times in 1,905 Posts
solo. If my equipment fails, I don't inconvenient the group, even though, all the groups I've ever known will help to the extreme level even if you tell them to keep rollin.
Old 02-28-21, 04:09 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 2,226 Posts
I ride from Home.
No other roadies live here.
Besides the last 1.75mi and 450 vertical feet can be a muscle builder, with vintage gearing.

Or maybe me and a close friend have no personality

Last edited by Wildwood; 02-28-21 at 04:28 PM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 02-28-21, 04:22 PM
KenCT

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105 (2021) Cannondale Cujo 2 (2018) Cannondale Quick Carbon 1 (2017) Giant Sedona (2006) Cannondale R1000 (2001)

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 105 Posts
Typically I do one group ride and 3 or 4 solos a week. Both offer something different; the group ride is more of a social activity and a shorter ride compared to solo where I can push myself in distance and climbing and not worry about waiting for others to catch up or them waiting for me.
Likes For KenCT:
Old 02-28-21, 04:25 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I wouldn't say that I avoid group rides, but almost all of my riding is solo, for many reasons. I can ride on my own terms, at my own pace (slow), choose my route, and largely avoid disrupting traffic. Also, I'm a sociable person, but riding gives me a chance to be by myself and clear my mind of thoughts.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 02-28-21, 04:31 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6173 Post(s)
Liked 4,791 Times in 3,305 Posts
Solo for the most part or just a very few that ride at about the same level as I do. But groups are nice for the social. However when the group has too many mismatched abilities and desires then it's hard to keep from not feeling like it was a less than great ride my solo's almost always are.

Big difference might be whether you are asking about groups that are a big disorganized group or a group that rides as a rotation, pulling turns on the front to achieve a certain fast speed for a particular route. Then members by default will have to be more matched in ability.
Old 02-28-21, 04:32 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4789 Post(s)
Liked 3,915 Times in 2,546 Posts
I prefer solo for a number of reasons. I ride from home. (Exceptions - I love Cycle Oregon - where the vast majority of the time I can ride solo in places that are magic - and usually a ride a year for a cause; often a century.)

Riding in groups means: perhaps not getting the stretching and warmup my body and especially my knees need, a real risk of touching wheels and yet another concussion - I have "loose brain syndrome" from a TBI. I also love the silence of solo riding, seeing nature and the sky; not just the butt in front of me. It is a part of, at times the whole of my spiritual journey. That happens far less in groups.

That said, I am a sucker for riding with women who are strong and good riders. My strongest summer as a racer (back in a distant millennium) I rode about a 1000 miles of training with a woman. She was a joy to ride with. Never became more than a riding partner but sweet memories of those rides. Funny, I was riding to her house to meet up with her boyfriend to do a crazy group ride when I had my TBI.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 02-28-21, 04:34 PM
WonderMonkey

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 36 Posts
75/25 solo versus group. Like others, my group rides are social rides, with the wife and another couple on our way to get a cold beverage. On my solo rides I don't slow anybody down, nor do I have to chit-chat, and can think about whatever it is I want to think about. I enjoy them both.
Likes For WonderMonkey:
Old 02-28-21, 04:35 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
My favourite rides are on my Single Speeds and Solo. I ride where I want and at whatever pace that allows me to enjoy the "scenery".....
Likes For Speedway2:
Old 02-28-21, 04:38 PM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
solo or small groups. the larger the group is, the more chance there is of getting held back by someone with a mechanical failure or someone setting the pace too fast or straggling because they are too slow. large groups get annoying fast.
Old 02-28-21, 04:46 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
99% solo. That way I ride when I want, where i want and as fast as I want.

1% group for the social interaction. i'm a bit fast for a "B" ride and a bit slow for a "A". So i go on "B" rides and hang in the back to help sweep and take my turn at the front doing pulls.

BTW, there's not many people that are willing to ride when it's 20* outside.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 02-28-21, 04:53 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked 2,300 Times in 1,111 Posts
I've never done a group ride in my life. And I'm old so I've had plenty of opportunity. But I don't know that I would enjoy it. I've had profound hearing loss for over 40 years. That combined with the wind noise, freewheels/hubs, tires, etc. would make it almost impossible to be a good enough listener to be any enjoyment to another. In fact my wife explains that my lack of hearing sometimes makes it appear to people that I'm not interested in what they have to say. I do enjoy riding by myself though so I don't know that I have a lot of interest in riding with a group.

I do run in a group though that trains with delinquent and at risk youth to complete half marathons. The hearing is not as much of an issue because I typically am able to pair with a youth that I can hear their pitch well enough and running doesn't have all the other noises that cycling does. I don't enjoy running alone though so I get some solace in knowing I'm just not any more antisocial than my hearing impairment makes me.

I have considered though after this half marathon season is over to put out a call on facebook for friends that enjoy cycling to begin meeting up Saturday mornings for a loosely organized group ride where they make the came call on their facebook pages. I think that arranging for these rides to end near a coffee shop, small restaurant for brunch or the local craft brewery may lead to some social interaction and renew interest in cycling in my town.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 02-28-21, 04:55 PM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Prelude, '91 Scott Sawtooth, '73 Raleigh "Grand 3"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 92 Posts
Group rides. I need the extra motivation to really push myself.
Likes For Ferrouscious:
Old 02-28-21, 05:10 PM
David in Maine

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 39 Posts
My favorite is a great group ride with people who really now how to paceline and keeps it smooth. Those are pretty rare since people tend to break up the group by attacking hills or Stava segments ( pet peeve!) or riding too long on the front and burning out. I really love solo rides and mellow rides with my wife as well. Damn, I just love riding my bike!

David
Likes For David in Maine:
Old 02-28-21, 05:12 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,849 Times in 6,066 Posts
Originally Posted by kirbyx
Does anyone out there prefer solo rides, and avoids group rides. Why do you have that preference?
Me. I prefer riding solo. I'm an introvert with low social needs, and I ride to be in my own space.

I've done enough group riding to appreciate how much fun it is, flying along in a peloton of strong riders, going WAY faster than I could on my own. But in the end, I prefer riding alone. I don't have to make small talk, I don't have to live up to anyone else's expectations, if I have a slow day I don't hold the group up.

Luckily there's room for all of us in cycling - the extroverts and introverts. Not sure there's room enough for the extroverts on the road, though - at least 4 times on today's ride, I had to swing WAY wide to pass groups of 3 rider strung out from the edge of the road to the middle, which on that particular road is a Bad Idea.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 02-28-21, 05:13 PM
PaulH

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
All my rides are utility or commuting, so the question never occurred to me. I've ridden with others a few times, but cycling has always seemed a solo activity.
Old 02-28-21, 05:28 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6173 Post(s)
Liked 4,791 Times in 3,305 Posts
Originally Posted by David in Maine
My favorite is a great group ride with people who really now how to paceline and keeps it smooth. Those are pretty rare since people tend to break up the group by attacking hills or Stava segments ( pet peeve!) or riding too long on the front and burning out. I really love solo rides and mellow rides with my wife as well. Damn, I just love riding my bike!

David
Paceline. That's the word I was trying to think of. I don't know why it keeps escaping me. Every time I want to use that term for a group of riders pulling turns on the front, I can't come up with that word. Even though I've known that term for many many many years!

Paceline, paceline, paceline, paceline, paceline.............
Old 02-28-21, 05:35 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
A group ride where everyone knows each other and are of comparable fitness/speed is the ideal. Solo otherwise. The problem is that it's hard to maintain the first circumstance.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 02-28-21, 05:36 PM
Ed Wiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 79 Posts
I guess I am the opposite I enjoy group rides. I enjoy spending time with others that have the same interest. I have been a ride captain in my club for 20 years. Enjoy teaching new riders how to become a better rider. I spend many days riding workouts everyday if the week. Indoors and out but always try to ride at least to group rides a week. I always learn something from other and enjoy meeting like minded riders. If you ride solo all the time you are really missing out on the whole rest of the hobby.
Old 02-28-21, 05:40 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3649 Post(s)
Liked 5,382 Times in 2,732 Posts
I enjoy both. When I'm solo I can choose my speed and route and I see more birds and varmints. With the group I have to ride faster so I get a better workout. Plus I enjoy chatting with my cycling friends. I try to avoid pacelines anymore. If I can't keep up riding a few feet off the back I'll pick another sub group or continue alone. I know that at my age my eyesight, reflexes and concentration have deteriorated, whether it's apparent to me or not. I anticipate getting my 2nd Covid shot in a couple of weeks and look forward to resuming a few group rides each week.
Old 02-28-21, 06:04 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
I don't mind training on my own but group rides and races are more fun. Best are cycling vacations with 5-10 good friends. Riding 4-5 hrs every day, stops for coffee or lunch along the way in some little European town, rolling back to base for drinks and dinner - great times.
Likes For gregf83:
Old 02-28-21, 06:13 PM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I use to go on group rides, but I have gotten stronger, (HIIT Training) and enjoy climbing. The group , now prefers MUP's , and are getting E-bike's, all not of interest for myself .KB
Old 02-28-21, 06:25 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,279 Times in 2,940 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
BTW, there's not many people that are willing to ride when it's 20* outside.
I think you'll find most people in the world are quite happy riding in 20° weather.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-28-21, 06:26 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I think you'll find most people in the world are quite happy riding in 20° weather.
20*C = 68*F

Yes then i agree.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 02-28-21, 06:27 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
99% of my rides are solo because most of my rides start from home and I have all the hills I need within 20 miles. It is just easier. My former riding partner got sick of my competitiveness and quit riding with me. Note: he was kicking my ass in the beginning but that changed over time as I learned how to climb.

I plan on participating in a couple gran fondos this year but that is more to get exposed to some areas I have yet to ride and less about being in around other riders.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.