Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Canyon Alert

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-21, 08:50 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I'm thinking the design is mostly about Canyon not wanting to keep a bunch of different handlebar widths in stock. Or am I missing something?
I don't think that you're missing anything - not having to manufacture and stock multiple sizes would be a good savings of time and money.

But, FWIW, the adjustable design doesn't seem to have anything to do with the failure, which happened below the lever clamping area, it seems; I would bet that the overlapping areas are reinforced more than they need to be (which is one of the reasons that it wouldn't appeal to me, but I digress).
Old 03-05-21, 09:27 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6971 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I don't think that you're missing anything - not having to manufacture and stock multiple sizes would be a good savings of time and money.

But, FWIW, the adjustable design doesn't seem to have anything to do with the failure, which happened below the lever clamping area, it seems; I would bet that the overlapping areas are reinforced more than they need to be (which is one of the reasons that it wouldn't appeal to me, but I digress).
Yes, true, it did break at a different point. But the handlebar itself seems rather stupid, at least from a consumer's perspective.
Old 03-05-21, 11:19 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Can't wait for Hambini to have a go at this one...
Old 03-05-21, 12:23 PM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Prelude, '91 Scott Sawtooth, '73 Raleigh "Grand 3"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
Any time a new product comes out, there's always a chance for design flaws to get past internal testing and QA. Not just in bikes, but cars, electronics, everything. That something broke during a cobbled pro race is not surprising in the least, regardless of whether a pre-race impact weakened it.
I would agree, if the only issue with the Aeroad was the broken handlebar. Stuff happens. Take the Specialized Roubaix's Future Shock top cap issue a couple years ago. I harped on that bike, but after several years and no additional complications, I no longer have a problem with it. But this is the second issue in a bike that's only a few months old. I wouldn't be surprised to see a fork failure or kinked hoses in the near future.
Old 03-05-21, 02:22 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,035 Times in 1,429 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Here's a handy rule on when to use bring and take when it involves movement of an object. When the movement of the object is away from you, take is used. When the movement is toward you, bring is used. I am at my house. CXWrench, bring your bike over to my house, and we'll adjust the derailleur. CXWrench, I am a horrible mechanic, so I'd recommend you take your bike the shop for repair.

When I moved into the NOLA area I realized how pervasive the misuse was. As I have tried to help people, some grasped it better this way. Point to where the object will go. If you are pointing away from where you are, use take.

There are some exceptions, but none that would ever make the above wrong.

Bring here. Take away.

https://www.lexico.com/grammar/bring-or-take
I’ll bet people really appreciate your impromptu grammar lessons. (If you actually teach English grammar for a living, I will remove the snarkiness from that comment.)

For every website showing that your interpretation is correct, I’ll bet I can find one showing that my interpretation is correct. Maybe two. Which is probably why, in common usage, “bring“ and “take“ are usually used interchangeably without any objections. Usually.
Breaking handlebars would be unpleasant, to say the least. But, let's get to the read bike-related content.

My favorite phrase to use at the bike shop is "I'll take it." In order to be grammatically correct, do I need to change to "I'll take this home" or "I'll bring it"? Neither has quite the same ring to it as "I'll take it."
Old 03-05-21, 02:30 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6971 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat
Breaking handlebars would be unpleasant, to say the least. But, let's get to the read bike-related content.

My favorite phrase to use at the bike shop is "I'll take it." In order to be grammatically correct, do I need to change to "I'll take this home" or "I'll bring it"? Neither has quite the same ring to it as "I'll take it."
As long as you’re getting out your credit card, I don’t think they’ll care about your phraseology.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-05-21, 05:25 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
If you bring the money, they'll take it.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 03-05-21, 07:59 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by Ferrouscious
I would agree, if the only issue with the Aeroad was the broken handlebar. Stuff happens. Take the Specialized Roubaix's Future Shock top cap issue a couple years ago. I harped on that bike, but after several years and no additional complications, I no longer have a problem with it. But this is the second issue in a bike that's only a few months old. I wouldn't be surprised to see a fork failure or kinked hoses in the near future.
Ehh, I know people on the Internet are apoplectic over the seatpost rubbing issue, but it seems to me to be pretty minor (affecting only those with a lot of exposed seatpost and getting dirt intruding down the tube) and not any different from cable rub wearing out a headtube, with the same workaround of putting some tape there. Neither of the road bikes I bought from LBSes had tape to protect from cable rub, while my Canyon did, so should I be up in arms about Giant and Specialized?
Old 03-05-21, 08:06 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Back (slightly) on-topic: what is the point of a handlebar with adjustable width? I mean, anyone who's been riding long enough to shell out for a pricey bike probably has a preferred handlebar width, right? And once the bar is wrapped, the width is not easily adjusted. So what is the appeal?

I'm thinking the design is mostly about Canyon not wanting to keep a bunch of different handlebar widths in stock. Or am I missing something?
I consistently warn people on BF to consider knowing exactly what they want before buying a Canyon, but in defense of that handlebar, there are numerous reasons I like what they tried to do (the non-standard shape that made it incompatible with Shimano lever clamps is not one of those). Integrated bars are notorious for making adjustments difficult or impossible. Being able to change bar width without knowing exactly what you need at ordering time makes a lot of sense if considering a Canyon online purchase. Adjusting the width is easy, I've read that people simply unwrap the factory tape and rewrap it. Breaking it apart also means traveling (and shipping) doesn't require recabling.
Old 03-05-21, 08:27 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Here's a handy rule on when to use bring and take when it involves movement of an object. When the movement of the object is away from you, take is used. When the movement is toward you, bring is used. I am at my house. CXWrench, bring your bike over to my house, and we'll adjust the derailleur. CXWrench, I am a horrible mechanic, so I'd recommend you take your bike the shop for repair.

When I moved into the NOLA area I realized how pervasive the misuse was. As I have tried to help people, some grasped it better this way. Point to where the object will go. If you are pointing away from where you are, use take.

There are some exceptions, but none that would ever make the above wrong.

Bring here. Take away.

https://www.lexico.com/grammar/bring-or-take
In life, some people bring it. Others simply take it easy.
Old 03-07-21, 03:25 PM
Dirk de Chablis

Bikes: A red one, a white one, a white and red one and a silver one

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
Can't wait for Hambini to have a go at this one...
Just remember all Hambini's own products fix everything, none of his tests are impartial
Likes For Dirk de Chablis:
Old 03-08-21, 01:14 AM
Danhedonia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
I just really concur with the opinion that his ignoring the collision with the car was ... foolish. I can't imagine MvdP having a gentle brush with the car; why would you not just swap it out prior to a race with a rough surface?

Koyote I agree that the adjustable bars are an attempt to simplify the manufacturing process ... making the bars incompatible with Shimano levers is just dumb.