Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Paying it Forward -- Free Clyde Jerseys!

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 07-19-12, 04:14 PM
adrien

Bikes: Firefly custom Road, Ira Ryan custom road bike, Ira Ryan custom fixed gear

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

(mods -- this was ok'd by Tom via PM)

I am still a clyde, though now in the low 200s (201.4 this morning) after years in the 240s. I have purged the closet and have several used jerseys that I no longer, um, fill.

Free to forum clydes (via pm, please) are the following, lightly used and clean
- 4 performance / nashbar XL jerseys
- one long sleeved winter jersey
- one event jersey

All fit me quite well when I had a 39-40 waist. I am 6'3.

And finally, thanks to all in the community here.
Old 07-19-12, 04:20 PM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks for doing this, adrien. I think it's awesome that you're making this offer! And congrats on the weight loss.
Old 07-19-12, 05:36 PM
phread59

Bikes: Old Fuji road,Cirrus Sport

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd PM ya but I have only 30 posts. Well 31 now. If you can spare a jersey I'd give it a good home. PM if you can. It'd help me out.

Mark Shuman
Old 07-19-12, 05:58 PM
asindc

Bikes: 1993 Trek Antelope 850 mountain bike; 2002 LeMond Alpe d'Huez; 2005 Orbea Onix TDF; 2015 Bianchi Infinito.

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Adrien,

I live in Hyattsville, MD. I might be interested in one or more of your jerseys. Only 36 posts for me. Please PM.
Old 07-19-12, 06:03 PM
skilsaw

Bikes: Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm like you, always purging my posessions. I Live in a 700 sq ft apartment and have no storage locker.
What little space I have is taken up by one bike on a trainer, another bike, a Burley bike trailer, a bike rack for my car and misc items from my other outdoor pursuits.

Even if it doesn't "pay forward" I'm always glad to pass things on.
Old 07-19-12, 06:06 PM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by asindc
Adrien,

I live in Hyattsville, MD. I might be interested in one or more of your jerseys. Only 36 posts for me. Please PM.
Originally Posted by phread59
I'd PM ya but I have only 30 posts. Well 31 now. If you can spare a jersey I'd give it a good home. PM if you can. It'd help me out.

Mark Shuman
I'll happily serve as a relay, my email is tom(at)bikeforums(dot)net. If you're OK it, I can give adrien your direct email address as well, privately. Just let me know which you prefer, a relay via my email or I give adrien yours...I'm good with either.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 07-19-12, 07:02 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
I PM'd you. I think this is a great idea and as I continue to lose weight, would be glad to pass on any jerseys that no longer fit. Very cool of you to do this and I hope it becomes a trend here on the forum.
Old 07-19-12, 07:35 PM
adrien

Bikes: Firefly custom Road, Ira Ryan custom road bike, Ira Ryan custom fixed gear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the support guys. I now have two PMs and two interested-but-not-able-to-PMs. That's 4 folks for 6 jerseys.

Those who have raised their hands, please let me know if you'd like 1 or 2, where to send them, and whether you have a preference (one is long sleeve, one is sleeveless).

I will cover postage, no worries. Non-PMers, feel free to take up Tom on the pass-through offer.
Old 07-19-12, 08:36 PM
lenny866

Location: Foothills of the beautiful Adirondack Mountains, NY
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
very cool!! great idea!
Old 07-19-12, 08:50 PM
Bluish Green
Bicycle Commuter

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
May you be blessed with continual tailwinds.

If I ever get small enough to do the same, I will take your lead and do so. Nicely done!
Old 07-20-12, 07:40 AM
asindc

Bikes: 1993 Trek Antelope 850 mountain bike; 2002 LeMond Alpe d'Huez; 2005 Orbea Onix TDF; 2015 Bianchi Infinito.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe
I'll happily serve as a relay, my email is tom(at)bikeforums(dot)net. If you're OK it, I can give adrien your direct email address as well, privately. Just let me know which you prefer, a relay via my email or I give adrien yours...I'm good with either.
Originally Posted by adrien
Thanks for the support guys. I now have two PMs and two interested-but-not-able-to-PMs. That's 4 folks for 6 jerseys.

Those who have raised their hands, please let me know if you'd like 1 or 2, where to send them, and whether you have a preference (one is long sleeve, one is sleeveless).

I will cover postage, no worries. Non-PMers, feel free to take up Tom on the pass-through offer.
Adrien, I have emailed Tom with my contact info.
Old 07-20-12, 09:38 AM
DTSCDS
"Fred"--is that bad?

Bikes: Felt f85 (11); Trek 7.3 FX (07); Schwinn Super Sport (86); Specialized Rockhopper (87)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Deleted to I could check with the proper authorities before I posted.
Old 07-20-12, 10:00 AM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
And I think this is a good sticky thread. Terms are, you are passing it along for free. You can ask for shipping or mailing cost only. No "For Sale"

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 07-20-12, 10:35 AM
DTSCDS
"Fred"--is that bad?

Bikes: Felt f85 (11); Trek 7.3 FX (07); Schwinn Super Sport (86); Specialized Rockhopper (87)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay, not that I have permission. . .
I want to follow Adrien's lead.
I have a pair of Performance Bike Ultra bibs I will give to someone. (I will even cover the postage.) (U.S. shipping only)
I would prefer they go to someone who has never tried 'proper' bike shorts/bibs before. They are in almost new shape. I promise I have washed them and they are squeaky clean. They are 2X. I wear a 44 pant and they are a bit tight for me. I'm thinking 40/42 would be fine.
I hate them, never really liked them, shouldn't have bought them cuz even in the store I wasn't crazy about 'em. But, there are lots of very positive reviews of them out there so it's probably just me. The problem for me is the fabric. My "Beloved Nike Bibs" are an incredibly smooth, silky fabric--apparently they are made from the donated skin from baby angel bottoms. My second favorite bibs the fabric is nice and silky smooth. The Performance bibs feel like they are made from burlap. (I'm almost 100% sure they are NOT, in fact, made from burlap.)
Hit me up if you want them.
Old 07-20-12, 02:14 PM
adrien

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ok guys -- current status:

- info and addresses from myosmith and jackiechan; jerseys set aside
- emailed asindc as passed along by Tom
- pm to phred 59

I think this will cover what is available. I will drop sleeveless into other packets unless someone explicitly wants one (they for great as winter base layers, BTW)

Glad for the support -- I had no desire to start something, but I'll take it.

This community has been wonderful for me. I tend not to over-personalize, but the advice on things like wheels, frames, winter riding and other has been great. I try to give some of the advice back (after about 30000 miles, 5 bikes cumulating with a dream custom build, lots of events and the like). This is just about purging the closet to celebrate my new jerseys (Hincapie Large!!!) and to try to pass on some of the karma.

Great way to get outdoors and enjoy being alive, this wee sport of ours.

Last edited by adrien; 07-20-12 at 02:24 PM.
Old 07-22-12, 04:48 PM
asindc

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
ok guys -- current status:

- info and addresses from myosmith and jackiechan; jerseys set aside
- emailed asindc as passed along by Tom
- pm to phred 59

I think this will cover what is available. I will drop sleeveless into other packets unless someone explicitly wants one (they for great as winter base layers, BTW)

Glad for the support -- I had no desire to start something, but I'll take it.

This community has been wonderful for me. I tend not to over-personalize, but the advice on things like wheels, frames, winter riding and other has been great. I try to give some of the advice back (after about 30000 miles, 5 bikes cumulating with a dream custom build, lots of events and the like). This is just about purging the closet to celebrate my new jerseys (Hincapie Large!!!) and to try to pass on some of the karma.

Great way to get outdoors and enjoy being alive, this wee sport of ours.
Thanks again, Adrien. I will be sure to continue paying it forward myself.
Old 07-23-12, 12:53 AM
John California

Bikes: 2002 Kona Blast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DTSCDS
Okay, not that I have permission. . .
I want to follow Adrien's lead.
I have a pair of Performance Bike Ultra bibs I will give to someone. (I will even cover the postage.) (U.S. shipping only)
I would prefer they go to someone who has never tried 'proper' bike shorts/bibs before. They are in almost new shape. I promise I have washed them and they are squeaky clean. They are 2X. I wear a 44 pant and they are a bit tight for me. I'm thinking 40/42 would be fine.
I hate them, never really liked them, shouldn't have bought them cuz even in the store I wasn't crazy about 'em. But, there are lots of very positive reviews of them out there so it's probably just me. The problem for me is the fabric. My "Beloved Nike Bibs" are an incredibly smooth, silky fabric--apparently they are made from the donated skin from baby angel bottoms. My second favorite bibs the fabric is nice and silky smooth. The Performance bibs feel like they are made from burlap. (I'm almost 100% sure they are NOT, in fact, made from burlap.)
Hit me up if you want them.
Am i too late? Just recently got into cycling and it seems like every other day im dropping cash on bike parts. So It would be nice to get my first pair of bike shorts without dropping even more. I live in California, and i will more than happily cover shipping even though you said you would.
Pretty great community here and i hope to soon be a part of it.
Thanks a ton.
Sorry like i said just started an account, and while i have a few posts in mind, nowhere near the 50 mark needed to PM. My email address is Calligan777@gmail.com
Old 07-23-12, 06:17 AM
Guinnessmike

Bikes: Diamondback Cross Country Specialized Sirrus Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would love to send my old jerseys out to somebody but I got to looking at the old ones that were 4X and they have dry rotted and I wouldn't send these to anybody not really worth it. But I will keep this in mind when I go from 2x to just XL's
Old 07-23-12, 08:06 PM
Ridernthestorm

Bikes: 2010 Motobecane jubilee trail .......2012 cannondale quick 5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, great idea, me and my sons started riding a few months ago, managed to find a pair of shorts for each us, anything would be appreciated we range from large to double xx, we also will play it forward, everything I buy I need to get three fold, but love it, their twin fifteen year olds and have fallen in love with cycling and I have found it again after a twenty year absence , anyhow we go by team butterball(lol) and have logged 1500 miles and loss 74 pounds collectively

Last edited by Ridernthestorm; 07-23-12 at 08:12 PM.
Old 07-26-12, 09:46 AM
adrien

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ok guys. One jersey given away in-person at the weekend, and three packets on their way by USPS to the others who PM'd or emailed via Tom.

Happy, safe riding.
Old 07-26-12, 01:20 PM
jimcander

Bikes: Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a pair of lightly used Specialized bike shorts. Squeaky clean! Move from shorts to bib and will be passing the shorts along as I get the bib's. They are XXL's.

PM me!
Old 07-28-12, 12:58 PM
XringX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am in need of a long sleeve shirt...got one left?
Old 07-28-12, 08:39 PM
coney46

Bikes: 10 yo Giant mountain Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
(mods -- this was ok'd by Tom via PM)

I am still a clyde, though now in the low 200s (201.4 this morning) after years in the 240s. I have purged the closet and have several used jerseys that I no longer, um, fill.

Free to forum clydes (via pm, please) are the following, lightly used and clean
- 4 performance / nashbar XL jerseys
- one long sleeved winter jersey
- one event jersey

All fit me quite well when I had a 39-40 waist. I am 6'3.

And finally, thanks to all in the community here.
PM sent
Old 07-29-12, 09:09 AM
jpapa4

Bikes: Scott CR 1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Adrien - I am brand new to this forum and am very excited to be here. The first thread I jumped on was the clydesdale, lol.. Just what I was looking for. I'm also 6'3 and weighed 272 when I started cycling 4 months ago and am down to about 255. I'm looking for some good solid information on training advice for 50+ yr olds to lose excess weight. Any suggestions?

thank you!
Old 07-30-12, 06:36 AM
adrien

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All -- my jerseys are gone now; but do check back to see if others do giveaways.

Originally Posted by jpapa4
Hi Adrien - I am brand new to this forum and am very excited to be here. The first thread I jumped on was the clydesdale, lol.. Just what I was looking for. I'm also 6'3 and weighed 272 when I started cycling 4 months ago and am down to about 255. I'm looking for some good solid information on training advice for 50+ yr olds to lose excess weight. Any suggestions?

thank you!
Honestly, for me it was mostly volume of food. Exercise matters as does muscle tone (especially core), but the key was keeping it to 2500 or preferably 2000 calories a day. I lost steadily for over a year, and then stabilized at a good weight (205).

Also: limited fried food, masses of vegetables, fewer carbs and fruit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.