Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

The 2014 Weight and Mileage Thread

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

The 2014 Weight and Mileage Thread

Old 05-29-13, 08:15 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The weather here is starting to make me look forward to when I get to leave. I love Colorado Springs, but the wind has just become too prevalent over the twenty years I have been here. Used to be you could set your watch to winds form the north until noon, from the south after noon. This week, it is all from the north or north-northwest and in the 20-40 mph range.

Ugh.

Last edited by RT; 05-29-13 at 08:20 AM. Reason: o
Old 05-29-13, 09:38 AM
Ooompa Loompa
Powered by pie

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RT
The weather here is starting to make me look forward to when I get to leave. I love Colorado Springs, but the wind has just become too prevalent over the twenty years I have been here. Used to be you could set your watch to winds form the north until noon, from the south after noon. This week, it is all from the north or north-northwest and in the 20-40 mph range.

Ugh.
I'm kind of in a similar boat. I've lived in the Springs around 20 years, and I like it here, and like my job, but I'm ready for a change. I've recently been sending out my resume to various places around the country. I don't know if I'll get any hits, but it can't hurt.
Old 05-29-13, 12:25 PM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ooompa Loompa
I'm kind of in a similar boat. I've lived in the Springs around 20 years, and I like it here, and like my job, but I'm ready for a change. I've recently been sending out my resume to various places around the country. I don't know if I'll get any hits, but it can't hurt.
I have to move back to California to take care of family things in about 5-7 years. I really need to HTFU and stop whining about weather when people like Ruby are off the bike until October at the earliest. Good luck on your search though. I like my job as well, so as time goes on, priorities may change.
Old 05-30-13, 12:32 PM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If you were at the corner of Garden of the Gods and Chestnut about an hour ago, that was me lying on the ground in the crosswalk. The wind literally blew me over. Having just sat through a red light, I was on my first revolution and a gust that had to be 50+ mph came out.of.nowhere. It must be what ants feel like when you spray them with canned air. Bike is ok (right side fall), elbow took a divot though. No broken bones, but my new white sun sleeves (to protect tattoos) are how spotted with red (brown after a wash) on the right sleeve.

And if you find a Nashbar All-Rounder pump, that's mine. In my flusterment, left it behind as it was ejected form my pocket. Three people stopped to ask if I was ok. This really did make me feel better.
Old 05-30-13, 01:43 PM
Ooompa Loompa
Powered by pie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RT
If you were at the corner of Garden of the Gods and Chestnut about an hour ago, that was me lying on the ground in the crosswalk. The wind literally blew me over. Having just sat through a red light, I was on my first revolution and a gust that had to be 50+ mph came out.of.nowhere. It must be what ants feel like when you spray them with canned air. Bike is ok (right side fall), elbow took a divot though. No broken bones, but my new white sun sleeves (to protect tattoos) are how spotted with red (brown after a wash) on the right sleeve.

And if you find a Nashbar All-Rounder pump, that's mine. In my flusterment, left it behind as it was ejected form my pocket. Three people stopped to ask if I was ok. This really did make me feel better.
Dang man that sucks. I just got back from lunch and yeah it is crazy windy out there.
Old 05-31-13, 04:17 AM
bobones

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by RT

That's scary! Glad you and bike are OK for the most part. I freaking hate the wind. Being an 11st weakling and living in the windiest country in Europe doesn't help either!
Old 05-31-13, 11:29 AM
crydee

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I stopped riding about 2.5 years ago or maybe closer to 3.. it was a gradual decline. Grad school than first job in South Florida (it's death to ride there). Gained 50 pounds from my peak shape. I got a new job in Orlando and live a little bit outside so plenty of great riding (but flat) and finally started getting serious about getting in shape again. Since May 8th rode about 200 miles and dropped 15 pounds already.

My bike isn't very comfortable when you're 40 pounds heavier from your last set up! My sellle italia slr (I think it's been awhile since I built this bike and kept up like I used too) leaves me a bit sore but I think it will go away once I'm used to riding again.
Old 06-01-13, 09:07 AM
Ooompa Loompa
Powered by pie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This sucks. I have only ridden once this week, and it is a beautiful day out today and I really want to ride. But I have this nagging persistent cough that is bugging me and I don't really think I should ride with it.
Old 06-01-13, 01:58 PM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ooompa Loompa
This sucks. I have only ridden once this week, and it is a beautiful day out today and I really want to ride. But I have this nagging persistent cough that is bugging me and I don't really think I should ride with it.
I was out from 7:00-8:30 or so for 20 miles and caught the north headwind on the trip back. Brutal. Stay indoors to ride tomorrow.
Old 06-01-13, 06:40 PM
Ooompa Loompa
Powered by pie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RT
I was out from 7:00-8:30 or so for 20 miles and caught the north headwind on the trip back. Brutal. Stay indoors to ride tomorrow.
The wind died down quite a bit around 3, so I decided to risk it. https://app.strava.com/activities/57599067 Not a bad ride, but I never really felt like my legs got loose.
Old 06-05-13, 02:20 PM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Finally listing the green Motobecane on CL this week. Despite the lever upgrade and dialing it in, it is just too small.

To replace it, I have ordered the Moto Mirage SL. Semi-relaxed, specced better, better color (Titan Grey), carbon fork. Should have it by Friday evening. May swap wheels and crank, definitely stem and brake pads. She's gonna be a bit heavier than I am used to, but that's cool. I've recently discovered that I am the consummate anti-weight weenie. After years of riding lighter and lighter bikes, there ends up being no discernible benefit in my world.

Not bad for $449.

Last edited by RT; 06-05-13 at 02:31 PM.
Old 06-05-13, 03:11 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by RT

Hey! I know where Garden of the Gods is! Was there less than six months ago.

I am between computers at the moment, and haven't updated my log yet. So I will have to post two weeks in a row this coming Sunday. Hope that's OK. FWIW, with Machka and I not working right now, we are getting out on the bikes almost everyday this week.
Old 06-05-13, 04:23 PM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
Hey! I know where Garden of the Gods is! Was there less than six months ago.

I am between computers at the moment, and haven't updated my log yet. So I will have to post two weeks in a row this coming Sunday. Hope that's OK. FWIW, with Machka and I not working right now, we are getting out on the bikes almost everyday this week.
And you were on my list of people I wanted to pass! NP on the reporting - ride safe you two!
Old 06-05-13, 07:42 PM
Ooompa Loompa
Powered by pie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good start to the week with over 80 miles already.

https://app.strava.com/activities/58061999
https://app.strava.com/activities/58289093
https://app.strava.com/activities/58504244
Old 06-07-13, 07:09 PM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
Just fattened myself up considerably with a great dinner, lamb, gazpacho, shrimp on grit cake yummm. Anticipating an early night, I only have 40 miles this week so far due to rain but tomorrow is my MS Ride, shooting for 100 miles tomorrow and 75 on Sunday. Not worried about tomorrow but have never done any riding the day after such a long one. We shall see but that should help drop a couple of water pounds and help the weekly stats Plus raised over $2k for a great cause! wish me well
Old 06-10-13, 06:10 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hope it went well, Robby. Cycling for a cause always makes a ride better.

Looks like we are falling off as far as reporting. Not trying to guilt anyone - pretty much everyone who comments in this thread is sending stats, but the average suffers from it. I have not yet found the time to employ the COUNT function to make weekly stats more accurately reflect who reported.

Think what I may do is strip out those who have not reported in over four weeks and bank those miles. Hopefully this will make the rest of the year a closer representation of our weekly effort.

Picking up the new bike today. I have had very good experiences with Bikes Direct in the past, so this should be a fun new ride. I know the new Sora was rolled out this year, and this bike comes with Claris, which I am guessing is the new 2300. It will feel good to go back to 8 speed - tight cassettes (a topic on which there are seemingly endless threads) around these parts are not really necessary, having learned from the experience of unnecessary upgrade-itis.

Secure in his Fredhood,

RT

Last edited by RT; 06-10-13 at 07:13 AM.
Old 06-10-13, 07:01 AM
robbyville

Thanks RT it went very well other than some confusion on my part.
Good luck with the new bike, can't wait to see it!
Old 06-10-13, 01:09 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Originally Posted by RT
Hope it went well, Robby. Cycling for a cause always makes a ride better.

Looks like we are falling off as far as reporting. Not trying to guilt anyone - pretty much everyone who comments in this thread is sending stats, but the average suffers from it. I have not yet found the time to employ the COUNT function to make weekly stats more accurately reflect who reported.

Think what I may do is strip out those who have not reported in over four weeks and bank those miles. Hopefully this will make the rest of the year a closer representation of our weekly effort.

Picking up the new bike today. I have had very good experiences with Bikes Direct in the past, so this should be a fun new ride. I know the new Sora was rolled out this year, and this bike comes with Claris, which I am guessing is the new 2300. It will feel good to go back to 8 speed - tight cassettes (a topic on which there are seemingly endless threads) around these parts are not really necessary, having learned from the experience of unnecessary upgrade-itis.

Secure in his Fredhood,

RT
RT, did you get my June 9 info?

Old 06-10-13, 03:17 PM
Diegomayra
Too Fat for This Sport

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Supersix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Started ramping up my cycling in November/December 2012 and then the beginning of the year happened; hit by truck in January, cold in February, and the flu in the beginning of March.

Finally got my fitness up in April and things have taken off.
2013 January 9th Weight: 174lbs.
2013 June 10th Weight: 147lbs.

Mileage as of an hour ago (June 10th): 2078mi.
Trip timer: 132h 46m

First season racing.
Old 06-11-13, 07:34 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
10W, got yours.

Diego, well done on the weight loss. That's more than many of the weight-obsessed racers can say. How tall are you? I am 6'1" and stuck at 195-200. Goal is 175-180, but when you're comfortable at a weight that is not really overweight, it's hard to motivate.

As promised, here are pics after the inaugural ride of the new Titan Moto. Sweet geometry - reminds me a bunch of the slightly relaxed titanium frames you see out there. Not sure how I feel about the red wheels, but they roll well and at 32 spokes each are bomb-proof. I noticed in my climbing this morning that the 8 speed was a nice relief from the 10 speed I have been riding most of the time. A LOT less lever work, but the Claris levers remind me a lot of the 5600/4500. In addition to the stock bars being awfully reachy, the levers sit out so much further forward than my 9 speed Microshift or 5700.

All in all, great purcahase. Will be swapping out parts from the Moto that is too small to make this a primary ride.

Old 06-11-13, 08:03 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Week ending 2 June:

0km = 0 miles
93.2kg = 205.4lb

Week ending 9 June:
118.41km = 74 miles
93.2kg = 205.4lb
Old 06-11-13, 11:36 AM
Diegomayra
Too Fat for This Sport

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Supersix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RT
10W, got yours.
Diego, well done on the weight loss. That's more than many of the weight-obsessed racers can say. How tall are you? I am 6'1" and stuck at 195-200. Goal is 175-180, but when you're comfortable at a weight that is not really overweight, it's hard to motivate.
Thanks and nice bike by the way. I am 5'8" and I have a bad habit of taking the winter off. I took off 1/2 a year of serious cycling and rebounded from 140 to 174 over the course of 7 months. Last time I made a serious attempt at weight loss I managed to drop from 200lbs to 140lbs and I still made strength gains all the way down, so I am really confused as to where to draw the line. My strong suit is definitely climbing.

My current frame of mind is to drop to 140lbs and up my caloric intake and stay there until late October. I have abdominal fat and love handles, even at 140, so I'm puzzled as to what to do? I've heard targeting specific areas for weight loss is fruitless, rather your body natural loses fat in specific ways that are unique to each individual. I lose it around my limbs and face/neck first. Any help is welcomed.
Old 06-11-13, 04:32 PM
robbyville

Originally Posted by RT
10W, got yours.

As promised, here are pics after the inaugural ride of the new Titan Moto. Sweet geometry - reminds me a bunch of the slightly relaxed titanium frames you see out there. Not sure how I feel about the red wheels, but they roll well and at 32 spokes each are bomb-proof. I noticed in my climbing this morning that the 8 speed was a nice relief from the 10 speed I have been riding most of the time. A LOT less lever work, but the Claris levers remind me a lot of the 5600/4500. In addition to the stock bars being awfully reachy, the levers sit out so much further forward than my 9 speed Microshift or 5700.

All in all, great purcahase. Will be swapping out parts from the Moto that is too small to make this a primary ride.

RT, bike looks great, congrats! "Reachy" seems like an understatement
Old 06-12-13, 07:55 AM
Vlaam4ever

Bikes: 2008 Giant TCR Advanced

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vlaam4ever
So new to this thead but want to give you guys some mileage I've been riding.

Apr22 - Apr28: 125 miles
Apr29 - May5: 102 miles
May6 - May12: 89 miles
May13 - May 14: 113 miles

I dont track my commuting miles but log between 10-25 riding back and from work and not included in the above numbers. Commuting miles depend on away from hom travel time and after work dinners. I have none scheduled this week so should be able to log close 200 miles this week. Let see if I can deliver on it.

Wt check 179 (goal 170)
Just quick update. The past few weeks have gone well

May 20 - may 26: 126 miles + 3 days of commuting
May 26 - Jun 2: 126 miles + 3 days of commuting
Jun 3 - June 9: 180 miles + 5 days of commuting

Wt check 176 (goal 170)

I think I tipped the 200 miles last week taking into account bar hopping and commuting duty. The extra miles in the past few weeks have made a significant change in the ability to stay onto the A group. Riding has become much easier. I recover from strong efforts so much quicker during rides. I have no problem going for sprints or KOM several time per ride( I dont compete, but still put in the effort for 5th or 6th place). I dont fall of the back when the pace picks up. I'm approaching a level of fitness I've never had before even when I was racing mtn bikes 15 years ago. This is addictive.
Old 06-17-13, 09:57 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Vlaam4ever
Just quick update. The past few weeks have gone well

May 20 - may 26: 126 miles + 3 days of commuting
May 26 - Jun 2: 126 miles + 3 days of commuting
Jun 3 - June 9: 180 miles + 5 days of commuting

Wt check 176 (goal 170)

I think I tipped the 200 miles last week taking into account bar hopping and commuting duty. The extra miles in the past few weeks have made a significant change in the ability to stay onto the A group. Riding has become much easier. I recover from strong efforts so much quicker during rides. I have no problem going for sprints or KOM several time per ride( I dont compete, but still put in the effort for 5th or 6th place). I dont fall of the back when the pace picks up. I'm approaching a level of fitness I've never had before even when I was racing mtn bikes 15 years ago. This is addictive.
I may have missed it, but you are doing these miles on road then? It is very addictive. I try to commute 5 days a week, and three of those ride home at lunch just to feed the cat and to get in miles.

Passed 1,000 miles this week and have three solid bikes now, making the choice of which one to ride very difficult. One 8 speed, one 9 speed and one 10 speed. The 10 speed has seen the least use because the other two just ride so darn well.

Rain here has helped with the Black Forest fire, so I do not at all mind riding in rain.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.