Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Campy \ Shimano compatibilty

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-17, 07:43 AM
beatlebee 

Bikes: i may have bike(s)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

On a trip in france, looking at my bike with a moderately damaged wheelset due to shipping. Enough that the rear doesnt spin at all in the frame. I am running campy 10 speed drivetrain. Local shop wont try to fix the rim and says it would take a week blah blah blah. I am looking for a quick reasonable fix. The shop has some shimano wheels. My thinking is this: try to fix the wheel by loosening spokes and bending back,then truing with spoke wrench. long shot i know. Second, wait for only other shop to open tomorrow and maybe they can fix or put hubs on new rims (front DA hub and rear powertap). Third, buy a shimano 10 speed wheelset (cheap one) and use a shimano cassette and suffer with less than stellar shifting. Is it possible to put my campy freehub on another shimano hub, seems unlikely in my mind but I do not know. What other quick options am I missing? What would you do? Big part of the trip is to ride and I am here for 7 more days before italy.
Old 06-14-17, 08:15 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Out here , none of the locals buy Campagnolo, so nothing is stocked .. all part special orders are called in and shipped overnight,

and the rider enjoys the many food drink and lodging options offered, here, for a few days,

and like happened last month a carbon chorus RD was replaced by an aluminum one from the low end of the Campag range, 3 days later....

Have a place to hang out for a few days while the parts are ordered & shipped, and replaced?

Old 06-14-17, 08:17 AM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
I have heard of Ambrosio cassettes with Shimano spline and Campagnolo spacing, Ambrosio Cycle Sport - Cassettes -- do not know how easy it is to get this, but it can be used with a Shimano wheel and otherwise Campagnolo drivetrain.

Also, there is a thing called Shimergo, which is mixing Campy shifters with Shimano derailleurs: A guide to rear shifting | Cycling UK
Supposedly, 10s Campy will work with 8s Shimano cassette which will fit a Shimano wheel. I do not know how well it works though. It is claimed that the amount of cable pull on a 10s Campy is different for different shifts. I would like to know that myself.
Old 06-14-17, 08:37 AM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
I'm not sure, but I don't think you can transplant a Powertab freehub to a Shimano wheel.

If you can't figure out any other workable options, you don't have anything to lose by trying to patch up your original rim as best you can. Unlace the wheel or at least slacken the spokes, brute force the rim as round and true as you can get it, then relace and true. You probably won't be able to get it perfect, but you could possibly make it rideable until you can make a more proper fix.

As for what that fix would be, I think the most straightforward option with off-the-shelf parts may be to replace the rim and lace it to your existing hub. What kind of rim do you have? Is it a common one, or maybe you can find one with the same ERD that would allow reuse of your original spokes? (Thereby eliminating the need to source spokes of the right length or have them cut to size.)
Old 06-14-17, 09:48 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
I'd vote for relacing the hub with a new rim (assuming they have one in the small town where you are). Should take an hour or two.
Old 06-14-17, 11:28 AM
beatlebee 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the ideas so far. The rim is beyond repair unfortunately. It has an acute deep gash in the braking surface as well as being all out of true, not by mm but more like several cm. In haste, I pulled the rim off with my spoke wrench figuring I could save some euros on labor. I like the idea of trying to get someone to lace the hub to a new rim and will see if the other shop can start that tomorrow. I did manage to fix the front by hitting it hard a few times with a rubber mallet (essentially) and then getting it mostly true. It is tubeless and the tire seated and the braking surface is fine. I actually borrowed an old 5 speed wheel from my host and put it on and I at least have one speed in the rear and two up front. (ridiculous i know) That will satisfy my malady for at least a few days while I, hopefully , get a wheel built up. I think it wouldnt be to hard to source a rim,spokes, and nipples, esp. if I offer to pay for overnight. Merci beaucoup!
By the way, I botched some spokes during removal, and they were sapim xray. Spilled milk...
Great spot to be stuck, overlooking lac annecy, but those cols are a calling.

Last edited by beatlebee; 06-14-17 at 11:31 AM.
Old 06-14-17, 11:37 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I'd research Shimergo and, if that looks doable, 8 speed it with a cheap wheel until a good replacement can be had. Maybe call ahead to a shop in Italy and have it waiting for you.

John
Old 06-14-17, 12:04 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
Originally Posted by robabeatle
Thanks for the ideas so far. The rim is beyond repair unfortunately. It has an acute deep gash in the braking surface as well as being all out of true, not by mm but more like several cm. In haste, I pulled the rim off with my spoke wrench figuring I could save some euros on labor. I like the idea of trying to get someone to lace the hub to a new rim and will see if the other shop can start that tomorrow. I did manage to fix the front by hitting it hard a few times with a rubber mallet (essentially) and then getting it mostly true. It is tubeless and the tire seated and the braking surface is fine. I actually borrowed an old 5 speed wheel from my host and put it on and I at least have one speed in the rear and two up front. (ridiculous i know) That will satisfy my malady for at least a few days while I, hopefully , get a wheel built up. I think it wouldnt be to hard to source a rim,spokes, and nipples, esp. if I offer to pay for overnight. Merci beaucoup!
By the way, I botched some spokes during removal, and they were sapim xray. Spilled milk...
Great spot to be stuck, overlooking lac annecy, but those cols are a calling.
Hopefully, you removed the cassette first?
Old 06-14-17, 01:23 PM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Hopefully, you removed the cassette first?
If it's a cassette that's not a problem. You can pull cassettes off of orphaned hubs. It's the freewheels that are impossible to remove off of hubs that are missing a rim.

I'm assuming that's what you were getting at?
Old 06-14-17, 01:49 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
At one time Campagnolo made a Shimano spline steel driver for their cassette hubs, cost about $99.
Old 06-14-17, 08:09 PM
beatlebee 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by corrado33
If it's a cassette that's not a problem. You can pull cassettes off of orphaned hubs. It's the freewheels that are impossible to remove off of hubs that are missing a rim.

I'm assuming that's what you were getting at?
I did realize in the middle of the night that leaving the casette on was probably not smart. So how can I rmove this? I dont have the campy lockring tool.doh!
Old 06-14-17, 08:15 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
The bike shop that's going to rebuild the wheel should have the proper lock ring tool.
Old 06-14-17, 08:24 PM
beatlebee 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
I'd research Shimergo and, if that looks doable, 8 speed it with a cheap wheel until a good replacement can be had. Maybe call ahead to a shop in Italy and have it waiting for you.

John
Thanks John, looks like it would be an 8 speed shimano if I am reading the table correct. This is a fall back option.
Old 06-15-17, 06:45 AM
beatlebee 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So a shop, Velo Culture, just outside of Annecy put my campy cassette on a new, wide internal mavic rim on the spot for 160 euros. I am quite happy now! They were great. I had my bike insured for the shipping process so hopefully I can recover some of that too.
Cheers
Old 06-15-17, 09:12 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
My philosophy is, if I already OWN parts, I'll assembly almost anything and see if I can make it work to my satisfaction. If I'm BUYING parts, I'll hold out for stuff that' is designed to work together.

You are talking about some pretty high dollar components. If it was my bike, I'd do whatever it takes to keep it all Campy 10-speed.
Old 06-15-17, 01:48 PM
Pridedog
Gone Biking!

Bikes: Orbea Gain, Lynskey, Redline Conquest Disc, Bike Friday, Cannnondale T2 Tandem.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 28 Posts
I built up a disc brake equipped road bike. My dilemma was that at the time only Shimano compatible wheels were available. Being a Campagnolo loyalist I initially used a Shiftmate to mate the Shimano cassette to the Campy shifters. I discovered a neat trick from a post on Bike Forum. I took the loose cassette spacers out of the Shimano 10 speed cassette and replaced them with Campy 10 speed spacers. For me it worked better than the Shiftmate.

Good luck.
Old 06-15-17, 09:21 PM
beatlebee 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pridedog
I built up a disc brake equipped road bike. My dilemma was that at the time only Shimano compatible wheels were available. Being a Campagnolo loyalist I initially used a Shiftmate to mate the Shimano cassette to the Campy shifters. I discovered a neat trick from a post on Bike Forum. I took the loose cassette spacers out of the Shimano 10 speed cassette and replaced them with Campy 10 speed spacers. For me it worked better than the Shiftmate.

Good luck.
Great tip, thanks. Im all set up now. A main reason for my trip is to ride, so everyday missed is a downer but all is good now. Cheers gentlemen. Always amazed at the wealth of knowledge here.