Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Stripped bolt in Sunrace Gripshift... help?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-09, 08:46 PM
TechKnowGN

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Newest 1.0, 2011 Trek 3900 Disc MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok, let's get this out of the way... Yes, I should dump the shifters for something new. But right now, I don't think I can afford new parts, have other priorities (getting married in 2 weeks), and I need to get a few more weeks (literally) out of these parts before I can start exploring alternatives.

I have a 2008 Fuji Absolute 4.0. I am in the middle of replacing the riser bar and stem with a flat bar and stem that will accomodate clip on aero bars. I have the new stem and bar in place, and the old bar almost completely removed from the bike. Except for the left gripshift and break.

The tiny little allen bolt (it takes the second smallest wrench on my bare bones mini tool) that tightens the clamp for the gripshift is stripped!! I can't remove it from the bar. Is there anything I can do?

Please help, I don't want to take this to the bike shop. I've gotten this far on my own, theres got to be SOME way to get this bolt to unscrew, and I can replace the bolt at the shop without paying for help removing it.
Old 09-05-09, 04:36 AM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 280 Posts
I have three of these in the shop with stripped bolts. I suspect I'll end up drilling them out and re-tapping the holes 3mm. If anyone knows of an easy-out that small I'd like to hear about it.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 09-05-09, 08:54 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
Hello as the previous responder indicated you may be out of luck with that shifter. if you are doing alot of repair and 'remodeling' work I would suggest some better quality tools. those 'mini' and folding tools are meant to get you moving on the road. a decent set of allen wrenches can be gotten for about 10 or 15$. also when reassembling lots of grease on the threads

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 09-05-09, 12:12 PM
TechKnowGN

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Newest 1.0, 2011 Trek 3900 Disc MTB

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a full set of allen wrenches, but it's hard to get the right reach with the ones I have I need them with longer and shorter arms.

I wound up replacing the grip shifts and brakes with inexpensive components that will get me through the end of the season. I'll be asking for a 9 speed cassette and better components for christmas.
Old 10-16-19, 02:10 PM
Bikemech12

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is why you shouldn't do it on your own...

As you know there are 2 different sets of allen keys. They are only slightly off from each other. And Torx keys. It's amazing that slight differences in the two sets can be the difference between removing and stripping the bolt. Metric and imperial hex keys are DIFFERENT. It's overwhelming how many home mechs come to me for help and i turn them down or charge way more than if they didnt touch the bike at all. Most of the time diy mechanics ruin the bike more than fix it. That leads to double the work for me, and sometimes if the diy mechanic acts like a wiseass when I tell him that he did alot of damage to the bike I tell him to take it elsewhere. Cutting corners can be rewarding if you're trying to learn, but to get the job done 9/10 times you will fail. Every mistake that you've made has been made by me in the beginning of my career. I'm way past small mistakes. And people pay me not for my 1 hour of work, but for they 15+ years expirience. Sorry bud, take the shifter and drill through it, or take it to a shop. You can pay for a basic new shifter and the work of someone that actually knows what they are doing. And in the future go out to some bike cooperative and volunteer if you want to learn anything. It may take weeks, months, but eventually you'll at least know how to fix your bike. Ps. Dont drill through it yourself, you'll probably fu*k it up further with the wrong drill bits. Good luck.
Old 10-16-19, 07:29 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,910 Times in 1,140 Posts
All I can say is: Wow! As a teacher and mechanic I have not had this response ever. But what do I know... Smiles, MH
Old 10-16-19, 07:39 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikemech12
As you know there are 2 different sets of allen keys. They are only slightly off from each other. And Torx keys. It's amazing that slight differences in the two sets can be the difference between removing and stripping the bolt. Metric and imperial hex keys are DIFFERENT. It's overwhelming how many home mechs come to me for help and i turn them down or charge way more than if they didnt touch the bike at all. Most of the time diy mechanics ruin the bike more than fix it. That leads to double the work for me, and sometimes if the diy mechanic acts like a wiseass when I tell him that he did alot of damage to the bike I tell him to take it elsewhere. Cutting corners can be rewarding if you're trying to learn, but to get the job done 9/10 times you will fail. Every mistake that you've made has been made by me in the beginning of my career. I'm way past small mistakes. And people pay me not for my 1 hour of work, but for they 15+ years expirience. Sorry bud, take the shifter and drill through it, or take it to a shop. You can pay for a basic new shifter and the work of someone that actually knows what they are doing. And in the future go out to some bike cooperative and volunteer if you want to learn anything. It may take weeks, months, but eventually you'll at least know how to fix your bike. Ps. Dont drill through it yourself, you'll probably fu*k it up further with the wrong drill bits. Good luck.
TechKnowGN and top506 posted in 2009.
Zombie Thread Alert!

Last edited by JanMM; 10-16-19 at 07:48 PM.
Old 10-18-19, 07:19 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,910 Times in 1,140 Posts
Yeah,
If this were current I would recommend a left handed drill bit which would remove the set screw, with little difficulty. Smiles, MH