Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuter Bicycle Pics

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Commuter Bicycle Pics

Old 09-16-07, 06:19 AM
Cody Broken

Bikes: Xtracycle cruiser bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Here's a bike I like to call The Bruiser. I have ridden to and from the shop (4 miles each way) a few times, so I'm posting it. It is a Murray Fox River All Terrain. I haven't researched its vintage, but it has to be around 30 years old.

I stripped it from stock form, with U-brakes and a 15 speed drive train and installed a coaster brake rear wheel. I think it is much happier. I sure like it. Then I installed the baskets. One thing that boggles me is the 165 mm cranks! It's just nutty! Makes hills even more challenging. I haven't weighed the bike, but I'm confident it is over 40 pounds.

It looks like low quality frame manufacture, but still pretty stout. I enjoy this sticker on the seat tube which reads: HURCULITE 20 MICRO ALLOY STRONGER AND LIGHTER

Last edited by Cody Broken; 09-16-07 at 06:29 AM.
Old 09-16-07, 10:28 AM
MyBikeGotStolen

Bikes: Raleigh Glacier MTB/Commuter. Cannondale CAAD5, Windsor Timeline fixed gear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought this one the otherday on craigslist for $50, of course my gf stole it and claimed it as her "bike to get the the neighborhood gym and pool" bike. At least she is finally riding one!!!

Old 09-16-07, 10:31 AM
striker_dj

Bikes: Giant Stance, Fuji Tahoe, Bridgestone MB-2, Miyata Triple-Cross, Specialized Sequoia, Gary Fisher Marlin, Specialized Hard Rock

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Cody Broken
Here's a bike I like to call The Bruiser. I have ridden to and from the shop (4 miles each way) a few times, so I'm posting it. It is a Murray Fox River All Terrain. I haven't researched its vintage, but it has to be around 30 years old.
I used to have one of those that looked just like that one. I would think it is more like 15 - 18 years old, unless they made the bike with the same look for many years.
Old 09-16-07, 06:25 PM
Cody Broken

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Sasss'n frasss!

Originally Posted by MyBikeGotStolen
I bought this one the otherday on craigslist for $50, of course my gf stole it and claimed it as her "bike to get the the neighborhood gym and pool" bike. At least she is finally riding one!!!
Question before I go ballistic about what sweet steal you got:
Did it come with the milk crate?
Now I will go ape****:

MOTHA FF....!
SON OF A....!
FUUUUHHH!
$50 for that?
Maaaaaan! I've been wishin on getting a folding bike, because... well because they fold up! It's cool!

And you got a good attitude about the gf swiping IT from you. A killer $50 CL bike and she's riding now. It might have required a spendy glam bike to get her pedaling.

striker_dj - Yeah, the bruiser is probably not 30 years old, but I figure it has to be at least 20 years old.

Last edited by Cody Broken; 09-16-07 at 07:04 PM.
Old 09-16-07, 07:44 PM
Maxximum
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chephy
Wow. That's a pretty unorthodox bike.
Explain that one.
Old 09-16-07, 09:38 PM
MyBikeGotStolen

Bikes: Raleigh Glacier MTB/Commuter. Cannondale CAAD5, Windsor Timeline fixed gear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cody, it did not come with the milk crate, it was actualy installed by me on her request. she even found "apretty green one" in her words. I did pay $50 for it but it cost me an hour drive which also turned into a very nice drive to parts I have not been to in this area. It was this dudes sailboat bike that he didnt ride (or sail the boat) since he bought it in 1997(?). Still had the paperwork and reciept for it. Oh, and I did buy her a nice bike, I sold it though cuz she didnt like it and rode 3 miles in 6 months. Thats how she gets away with "stealing" my folder!

BTW, your bike is looking alot like my bike, the one she lets me drive.... I have since added slicks and trekking bars just havent got any pics since then.

Last edited by MyBikeGotStolen; 09-16-07 at 09:42 PM. Reason: fix the year
Old 09-16-07, 09:43 PM
MyBikeGotStolen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i think the love for milk crates in starting to rub off on her.
Old 09-16-07, 09:55 PM
shumacher

Bikes: 95 Specialized Rockhopper Comp, 92 Specialized Sirrus Triple

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I stripped it from stock form, with U-brakes and a 15 speed drive train and installed a coaster brake rear wheel. I think it is much happier. I sure like it. Then I installed the baskets. One thing that boggles me is the 165 mm cranks! It's just nutty! Makes hills even more challenging. I haven't weighed the bike, but I'm confident it is over 40 pounds.

It looks like low quality frame manufacture, but still pretty stout. I enjoy this sticker on the seat tube which reads: HURCULITE 20 MICRO ALLOY STRONGER AND LIGHTER

I get the impression that it has to be about ten years newer, max. I had a very similar bike around 1992. It was a bit heavy, but managed to survive quite a bit, including riding along the water at the beach, and a muddy area near my house. Nearly fanatic care kept it running like a new bike. I think I had to have a dérailleur replaced at some point. I know it's odd, but I can't remember what happened to it. I probably traded it to a friend.
Old 09-16-07, 11:04 PM
Cody Broken

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You know it occurrs to me that low quality bikes are probably built with old crappy components, and that plus the sloppy welds on the frame and the crazy paint job make it look much older to me than it really is. I sure would like to learn what range of years it was manufactured. My wild guess is early 80's.
Old 09-16-07, 11:18 PM
Cody Broken

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Cody, it did not come with the milk crate, it was actualy installed by me on her request. she even found "apretty green one" in her words. I did pay $50 for it but it cost me an hour drive which also turned into a very nice drive to parts I have not been to in this area. It was this dudes sailboat bike that he didnt ride (or sail the boat) since he bought it in 1997(?). Still had the paperwork and reciept for it. Oh, and I did buy her a nice bike, I sold it though cuz she didnt like it and rode 3 miles in 6 months. Thats how she gets away with "stealing" my folder!

BTW, your bike is looking alot like my bike, the one she lets me drive.... I have since added slicks and trekking bars just havent got any pics since then.
Drive, shmive I always say. Fifty bones for a cherry Dahon (which looks to have a bomber frame) is a shrewd deal. Nice job.

If the lady wants a pretty green milk crate on her (your) bike, than a pretty green milk crate she shall have. I hope she knows how lucky she is to have a fine gentleman looking after her. And it speaks well for her character to prefer a practical little run-about bike over a spendy glam bike.

Your bike is of a much finer breed than the bruiser, but it does look rugged and no-nonsense. Built to get the job done, come what may. I like it. How do you like the trekking bars? Besides the challenges of installing controls, I love them. So many hand positions.

Last edited by Cody Broken; 09-17-07 at 08:00 AM.
Old 09-18-07, 10:30 AM
Teme
Just me

Bikes: Nishiki 401, Rossano 105 Touring with disc brakes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My new bike. It's Rossano 105 Touring with disc brakes. I use it for commuting, touring, utility cycling and for fun. We didn't have any extra room for more than one bike per person, so I made the best possible compromise.

Teme
Old 09-19-07, 09:18 AM
nmanhipot

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Langster Comp, 2005 Schwinn DBX Super Sport, 2004 Trek 5900 Superlight

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Teme
My new bike. It's Rossano 105 Touring with disc brakes. I use it for commuting, touring, utility cycling and for fun. We didn't have any extra room for more than one bike per person, so I made the best possible compromise.

Teme
What a beaut!! What kind of fenders did you get to work with your discs? I can't seem to find a set that works. Those are cherry.
Old 09-19-07, 01:59 PM
StokerPoker

Bikes: Pacific Duece AL with mods

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a few days off work this week so I took the rack and baskets off of the Marin to give them a couple coats of paint. I'll post pics later in the week. Though it was fun to ride it without all that extra weight, I wish I would have had them today. I rarely get a chance to take the bike path, but I did about 10 miles on it today. Would have been nice to have those Wald folding baskets today because I found a brick wall covered in concord grapes. Out of habit I keep a grocery bag tucked into the saddle rails. (My brother and I used to pick up pop cans together and that's how I got in to the habit, also works to keep the saddle dry in the rain) So, I filled one grocery bag with grapes to make jelly and will be going back tomorrow because there are at least 4 times that many left.
Old 09-20-07, 01:12 AM
Teme
Just me

Bikes: Nishiki 401, Rossano 105 Touring with disc brakes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nmanhipot, they have used plenty of force to put those fenders to the correct place. I'll get closer pics how it was done.

Teme
Old 09-20-07, 11:26 AM
funrover 

Bikes: Mostly schwinn... few classics

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is my good weather commuter!

Here is my bad weather commuter!
Old 09-22-07, 01:23 AM
biknbrian

Bikes: BiknBrian brand custom 26 inch commuter trekker, Cannondale F600 Single Speeded MTB, Nashbar Cro-Mo CX, some other bikes and parts that could be made into bikes.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That holed/angled metal stuff with the U-bolt is giving me all kinds of ideas for a custom rack.
Old 09-22-07, 08:49 PM
I_bRAD
Call me The Breeze

Bikes: 2004 Litespeed Siena, 1996 Litespeed Obed, 1992 Miele (unknown model), 1982 Meile Uno LS.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
My cheapest, heaviest bike... and yet it gets the most use. Go figure!
Back in the day this was my mountain bike

Old 09-22-07, 09:28 PM
RedVVing19

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Commuter at work

ForgeBike01.jpg
Old 09-23-07, 09:41 AM
shumacher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wow.
Good deal. It's worth more like $60. You seem like a cool person, so I'll give you $65, and you can keep the milk crate. So, you get paid $15 for taking a milk crate. No, no, don't thank me, it's just the kind of guy I am.
Old 09-24-07, 05:51 PM
synergy
newbie clyde

Bikes: 1997 Schwinn Frontier 18 spd MTB with 1.7" road tires

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2008 Felt F1X with Continental Contact tires and wireless iPod speaker/control.

Last edited by synergy; 09-24-07 at 06:48 PM.
Old 09-24-07, 06:01 PM
abmtnbkr
Lovin the O.C.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thought I'd share my two commuters. The Schwinn Impact is very heavy and never gave me any trouble on my sixteen mile round trip commute. However, I wanted something lighter and with more snap to it. Enter my Specialized Sirrus. I bought the frameset off ebay and built it up. I splurged on on the Brooks saddle and leather grips which really sharpens the whole look to it. Now I'm getting home quicker on the Sirrus and with energy to spare! :edit:...new improved pictures. Big Thanks to Southernwayfare.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
schwinn impact 2.JPG (43.4 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg
Sirrus 2.JPG (45.6 KB, 201 views)

Last edited by abmtnbkr; 10-01-07 at 05:23 PM.
Old 09-25-07, 11:39 AM
shumacher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My 1995 Rockhopper Comp. I just added some fenders and panniers. I have some blinkies, but I really need a front light and maybe some wheel reflectors.
Old 09-26-07, 07:24 PM
syn0n
livin' the nightmare

Bikes: '81 Centurion SS coversion, other ****

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I use this old Centurion for short-haul trips and evening rides. The thing I really want right now is a rack; lugging stuff by backpack sucks. Other than that, there's nothing special about it.
Old 09-27-07, 06:47 AM
striker_dj

Bikes: Giant Stance, Fuji Tahoe, Bridgestone MB-2, Miyata Triple-Cross, Specialized Sequoia, Gary Fisher Marlin, Specialized Hard Rock

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
My $11.99 Le Tour - I rode this once when I first got the thing. Since then I've replaced the handlebar, brake levers and cables, tires and tubes. After the ride this morning I know I will replace the seat if I plan on using this much.

Have you ever seen anything so ugly!
Old 09-27-07, 11:22 AM
TurdFerguson2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Note the water bottle fender and suicide top tube shifter

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.