Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What is the speed advantage of a modern steel bike?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What is the speed advantage of a modern steel bike?

Old 08-12-19, 03:43 PM
ParamountScapin 

Bikes: '87 Paramount & '02 Scapin EOS3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Personally I'd just run a modern group and keep riding it.
Exactly. Find a nice 10-speed Record or Chorus group and some better wheels (Mavic, whatever) and you'll be fine. My 2003 Scapin steel bike does great with a 10-speed (silver) Campy group and wheels. At 72 I don't keep up with many of the younger folks, but I ride in comfort and style.
Old 08-12-19, 05:26 PM
RohloffRoller

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
What is the speed advantage of a moderb steel bike.

Originally Posted by dugla
Hi,

I am trying to get a definitive, fact based answer to the question: what makes a modern steel frame road bike faster than my vintage - 20 years old - custom steel frame?

Some context. I ride a lovely custom frame built by Dave Moulton called a Fuso. Fits me like a glove. It’s old. How old? 7-speeds old. A few years ago a buddy of mine upgraded my shifters to entry-level Shimano brake/shifters. I recently had a new rear wheel built with a Shimano 105 hub, Mavic rim, and 11-28 cassette. I have Shimano Claris compact cranks: 50/34.

I am fit and - due to limited time - ride hills for about an hour every other day during the week. On weekends I do a longer (32mi.) ride. I occasionally try riding with a local group ride but I am routinely dropped early in the ride. Average pace is about 17mph. It drives me nuts! The other riders are not exactly studs and do not look super fit. What I do notice is everyone is on a modern bike. Carbon mostly. Some titanium. Some steel.

Is it time for me to join the modern world? I love steel. I love custom. Should I just bite to bullet and get a modern custom steel frame (Independent Fabrication looks cool)? What is the true speed advantage of these modern bikes?

Thanks,
Doug
IMHO it is mostly the motor and not the bike!

Mike Ayling
Old 08-12-19, 06:16 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 380 Posts
Advantage? Since it isn't in style, it will never go out of style. It can used and abused, it will resist most crashes and rough handling without structural damage. It is easy to repaint if scratched, or if you get tired of the color. It will give you a supple and responsive ride, stiff enough to transmit power to the rear wheel efficiently, flexible enough to soak up the bumps. And you can ride it for a long time.
Likes For 50PlusCycling:
Old 08-13-19, 04:37 PM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironfish653
I"m going to build on that, somewhat. Having more gears doesn't make you faster in terms of top speed, since you're only going to be able to make the same amount of power out of your legs, regardless of which bike you're on. Making more power requires training, both in the gym, and in the saddle. There's no substitute for seat time.

Having more gears does, however, give you more options in how to use that power. Having ten sprockets to choose from, even if it's still the same 11-28 spread of your 7-sp may mean you can find the 'sweet spot' ratio, rather than having to choose between spinning one thats too fast, and getting winded, and grinding one that's a little to big, and burning out.

That won't improve your top speed, but may improve your average somewhat, which may be all the difference in hanging on or getting dropped.

Also, look at your wheels. I'm guessing typical '90s 32-h box section rims. A modern, 24-20h, 'semi-aero' wheel, even a 105-level 'sport' wheelset will often 'wake up' the ride. They will be marginally faster, but noticeable more responsive.

Good tires are worthwhile, too. Fit 28mm tires if the frame will take it. The extra volume (over a 23/25) will help smooth out the ride under real-world (not racing) conditions, and smooth bikes are faster over the long haul.

I did a similar upgrade to an older bike, from its 1997 spec (7-sp RSX) to a late '00s 9-sp Tiagra/105, with the wheels from the 105 doner bike. I had been participating in a multi-day multi-century event, so i was training pretty extensively for that event, as well as a couple of single-day centuries each year. Right after I got in to the upgrade on the bike, work circumstances changed, and I was no longer able to do the event, or even spend as much time riding, let alone follow a training plan.

I find, even with the reduced miles i ride, I'm still a little faster (~1.7 mph, according to strava) average on the 9-sp version of the bike than i was on the 7-sp, over the same routes.
You're claiming you train less, but simply by switching from a 1997 7spd rig to a 2000 9 spd 105 set-up you have boosted your avg speed by 1.7 mph?
Time to switch to 12 spd Campy w/carbon and turn pro...

I'm not questioning your newfound speed (I wonder what that gain translates to, in watts)... I am however of the opinion that there are other factors which are not being taken into consideration, which would actually account for most of the gain.
A 1.7 mph average speed increase is a "a little faster" for an ICBM, for a cyclist that's a pretty hefty incremental gain.
Congrats on your improvement.

Last edited by Last ride 76; 08-13-19 at 04:51 PM.
Old 08-13-19, 07:22 PM
RidesaCarlton

Bikes: 1962 Estermann, 1962 English something, 1971 Carlton, 1972 Colnago, 1972 Pogliaghi, 1979 Nishiki, and 1982 Cambio Rino

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 6 Posts
50 years ago, when I raced bikes, you could race on anything with fast wheels, fast tires, toe clips, and cycling shoes. It wasn't the end of the world if your Gitane had steel pipes, or if your Torpado had Butted Columbus tubing. (It took 2 more years before we heard of Cinelli.) If your wheels, tires, shoes, and pedals are good, all you are chasing is marginal gains.

Of course, there is a world of marginal gains, but that depends on how deep your pockets are.
Old 08-14-19, 01:02 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by Last ride 76
You're claiming you train less, but simply by switching from a 1997 7spd rig to a 2000 9 spd 105 set-up you have boosted your avg speed by 1.7 mph?

I'm not questioning your newfound speed (I wonder what that gain translates to, in watts)... I am however of the opinion that there are other factors which are not being taken into consideration, which would actually account for most of the gain.
It was an “everything but the paint job” upgrade; better wheels and tires, and a lower, wider, better fitted cockpit. The 2x9’s gear range is also a little ‘racier’ than the 3x7, with a top gear of 116 over the 100 from the old setup (at the expense of a couple of bailout low ratios, but it’s pretty flat where I live)
I’m sure it’s somewhat lighter, although I never weighed it, but it is definitely more responsive and smoother riding.

As far as training, I get a lot less saddle time, but I hit the gym on a pretty regular basis: weights, plyometrics, rowing and stationary bikes. I’m not in shape for a century, but I can still dial up a pretty good effort for a 20-25 miler.
Old 08-14-19, 08:50 AM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironfish653
It was an “everything but the paint job” upgrade; better wheels and tires, and a lower, wider, better fitted cockpit. The 2x9’s gear range is also a little ‘racier’ than the 3x7, with a top gear of 116 over the 100 from the old setup (at the expense of a couple of bailout low ratios, but it’s pretty flat where I live)
I’m sure it’s somewhat lighter, although I never weighed it, but it is definitely more responsive and smoother riding.

As far as training, I get a lot less saddle time, but I hit the gym on a pretty regular basis: weights, plyometrics, rowing and stationary bikes. I’m not in shape for a century, but I can still dial up a pretty good effort for a 20-25 miler.
Thx for reply, I'm going to go with "improved conditioning, and better bike fit, especially aero position were the biggest factors in speed increase.
I definitely buy how the bike feels better to ride. Wheels, cockpit, saddle and fit make a huge difference in how any given bike rides
Old 08-14-19, 06:33 PM
Cl904

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
My 30 year old steel is fast enough since I don’t race
Old 08-14-19, 11:46 PM
Solo_rider

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm not sure if any one has suggested this but rent a bike for an hour or two -if you have shops for bike rentals- and go with that group of cyclists. If you still get dropped then you know it's you. Maybe those guys are/were professional cyclists. I don't think you can keep up with these.
But I doubt it's the bike.