Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Anyone else dealing with this type of breathing issue?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-10, 10:06 PM
tadawdy
Faster than yesterday

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Let me first fend off the standard response: yes, i will see a doc. It also doesn't seem urgent. Just polling to see if anyone else deals with what i do. I've also just now gotten enough data points to be able to describe what's happening.

I have no problem in the first couple of hours of a ride. Sometime during the third hour or so, I start to cough (nonproductive) if i take a deep breath, and my lung capacity seems diminished (though that could be psychosomatic). This continues for an hour or so after the ride is over. I also think it hinders my performance on long rides. I was really sucking wind in the second half of my century today.

Of course, this sounds a little like EIA, but not exactly; typically, that's an attack that occurs early and diminishes. I also have no problem sprinting around on very cold winter days around here (used to deliver for work), and never have had trouble until I started riding for longer durations. Typical EIA doesn't fit the bill, it would seem.

This does seem to crop up when my power output drops, or when I stop to take a break. This would mean a fade in sympathetic nervous system activity and epinephrine, and thus a decrease in bronchodilating stimulation. As long as I can ride at tempo, I seem ok. Of course, it's hard to tell which comes first. I know I go from feeling hardly taxed to my legs feeling dead pretty suddenly.

I also have no known allergies, and no other allergy symptoms. This does seem to be worst on hot days.

It's not totally consistent in terms of time to onset, and just hurts my performance and is annoying. Basically, I just have to slow down when I shouldn't. No obvious wheezing, dizziness, and HR seems normal (plus the usual bit of drift over the course of the ride, on hot days). The usual stuff, plus a cough upon deep inspiration.

Any thoughts, guys and girls?