Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What is the Poor Man's Rivendell?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

What is the Poor Man's Rivendell?

Old 12-14-17, 03:12 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1953 Post(s)
Liked 3,633 Times in 1,670 Posts
Originally Posted by mattia76
I believe it IS a tow hitch. Previous owner had it on there. I haven't gotten around to taking it off.
i have one on my bob jackson and i use it fairly often to pull an ikea trailer. it can really solve a problem now and then.
Old 12-18-17, 06:12 AM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 100 Posts
My 1983 Bridgestone 400, which a friend found in the dump, which I rebuilt with other old parts was my favorite bike for a couple of years. It would be a poor man's Rivvy, if I were poor.

Then, about ten years ago I saw an article in a Rivendell Teader agout converting 700c or 27" bikes to 650B. My first converson was a Univega Nuevo Sport. Once someone stopped me and asked "Is that a Rivendell?"

Right now my favorite bike is a 1983 Trek 630, converted to 650B.

Had I not read the article about convering bikes to 650B, I might be riding a Rivvy now.

I also have a RB-T, but since I paid for it, it wasn't exactly a poor man's bike.
Old 12-18-17, 01:41 PM
fixedweasel

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I love Rivendell and recently sold off a nice 650b Bleriot. Unfortunately Grant has fallen to the dollar and now makes some frames that are not fully lugged now to compete with Velo Orange and such. Sad, but a reality. Not everyone can afford a $2000 frameset with standard double butted steel. Since this is so, I decided to build up a "copy" of the Hunqapillar.* I have a fully lugged** 26" Univega Alpina Uno that I am repainting and converting into a Enduro Touring bike.
Basically, if you are a bit of a Hobbit/vertically challenged/Garden Gnome you can grab an old lugged MTN bike*** and convert it into a Rivendell(ish) type of steed. Imagination, parts, and a slightly padded wallet can get you there.

*that frameset is $2,500
**fork as well
***albeit w/fork is very hard to find
Likes For fixedweasel:
Old 12-19-17, 12:23 AM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fixedweasel
Basically, if you are a bit of a Hobbit/vertically challenged/Garden Gnome you can grab an old lugged MTN bike*** and convert it into a Rivendell(ish) type of steed. Imagination, parts, and a slightly padded wallet can get you there.
Heck, just a new set of tires and some best-of-the-used-pile components can get you pretty close. We got a box of 26x1.75 street tires cheap on a bulk clearance, and a lot of 26" MTBSOs ranging from early 80s to last year on the junk bike pile. Stripping them down then rebuilding the best frames with the best components and slapping the narrower, smoother tires on has turned out a couple of surprisingly good heavy-duty commuter bikes just about ideal for this area. (City limits are barely 6 miles edge to edge the longer way, maybe 3 miles the shorter way, so there aren't any long in-town commutes.) If we could find a similar deal on racks, I'd be working up utility specials like crazy, but they'd have to be under $10 each in bulk to keep the total out-the-door price down. (We're already fudging labor cost a lot on these overhauls to keep them as affordable as we can, so we don't have much room left on the final price.)
Old 12-19-17, 11:33 AM
fixedweasel

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I hear you and have done what you suggest above on dozens of builds. I have a very large basement bike shop separated into two different areas and have done well over 100 conversions to SS/fixed as well as many many more rebuilds of all different spices. At this point I can get very picky and creative on/about what I build as my bins are full and I have the means in both shop and time. I have taken old MTN bikes that were thrown to the curb and converted them into fixed commuters/grocery bikes/tame single track lovers. All for no money, only time and a bit of thought from the melon. I love bikes.
Old 12-19-17, 06:59 PM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fixedweasel
I hear you and have done what you suggest above on dozens of builds. I have a very large basement bike shop separated into two different areas and have done well over 100 conversions to SS/fixed as well as many many more rebuilds of all different spices.
Single speed doesn't work well here except for the college kids just riding around campus. OTOH, we've got a pile in the back of assorted 5-6-7 speed rear wheels and RDs, so SS conversion as part of the overhaul is pretty rare. It still takes the average new commuter a few weeks before they don't have to walk the worst hills, but a completely rebuilt MTBSO on street tires can last them a few years for $150-200 and be a lot smoother than it was when it rolled out of WalMart. Usually, by the time that wears out enough to need another overhaul, they'll either toss it or have the riding bug and understand why something nicer costs $400+...or they figure out how to work on it themselves and watch for one of those $50 Craigslist steals. Then we still get to sell them parts.
Old 02-14-19, 07:53 AM
bear_a_bug 

Bikes: 650B'd '74 Raleigh Super Tourer and '83 Trek 620, '22 Gorilla Monsoon

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 69 Posts
All the discussion recently about Grant and Rivendell's economic situation reminded me of one reason why I think they're facing hard times: Much of the aesthetic and riding style espoused and popularized by Rivendell can be had by repurposing C&V bikes, especially mid-80's MTBs. Additionally, many of those who may have come across Rivendell and have been interested in the style may be handy enough with a wrench to perform such conversions on their own bikes, or hunt down suitable candidates. They might be buying the handlebars from Rivendell, but not the frames.

Here's my '85 Trek 870 (with geometry very similar to an Atlantis):

Old 02-14-19, 11:19 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Liked 1,728 Times in 1,180 Posts
^^^^^ +1; I vaguely recall reading that the LHT is actually a geometry-clone of a '90s Trek, maybe the 730 or 750. So maybe the Atlantis is actually the direct Trek clone, and the LHT is a "meta-clone".

We just picked up an early '90s 730, one of the last lugged US frames, even has low-rider braze-ons. Have it "running", but no purpose build yet. It could easily find a life as a commuter, a gravel-pounder, a grocery-getter, or what have you. (It's just too nice for any winter assignment.)

So indeed, this ^^^^ may be Grant's true competition. I wish them the best, and hope they pull through, just to keep another iconic American name alive. HOW they'll do it, I haven't a clue, but it sure won't be easy ('course, nothing worthwhile is...).
Old 02-14-19, 06:21 PM
12boy

Bikes: brompton sl, surly steamroller, fuji track, gary fisher bmx minivelo etc

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Velo Orange Campeur and Polyvalent are well reviewed. I have an 82 Holdsworth Special that will take 35 mm tires and is very comfortable. There are many 80s Japanese road bikes with low trail, longer wheelbase , the capacity for 35mm tires and well made lugged chromo frames. These bikes have brazeons that will make fenders and racks easy to mount. I have a Surly steamroller, (poor man's Quickbeam) and I am very happy with that, .
Likes For 12boy:
Old 02-14-19, 06:36 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
^^^^^ +1; I vaguely recall reading that the LHT is actually a geometry-clone of a '90s Trek, maybe the 730 or 750. So maybe the Atlantis is actually the direct Trek clone, and the LHT is a "meta-clone".

We just picked up an early '90s 730, one of the last lugged US frames, even has low-rider braze-ons. Have it "running", but no purpose build yet. It could easily find a life as a commuter, a gravel-pounder, a grocery-getter, or what have you. (It's just too nice for any winter assignment.)

So indeed, this ^^^^ may be Grant's true competition. I wish them the best, and hope they pull through, just to keep another iconic American name alive. HOW they'll do it, I haven't a clue, but it sure won't be easy ('course, nothing worthwhile is...).
I've been riding a Hardrock for 13 years that's been upgraded a bit and still really like it most days. Whenever I think of getting something to replace it or to ride instead of it I wonder why would I do that when I could upgrade this some more and getting something close enough for me that's way less expensive.
Old 02-15-19, 11:38 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,364 Times in 1,382 Posts
Linus bikes are well built and have everything the Rivendell customer wants except for styling. Linus bikes are plain looking, probably on purpose. They're quite inexpensive for their good quality level.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-15-19, 12:04 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Linus bikes are well built and have everything the Rivendell customer wants except for styling. Linus bikes are plain looking, probably on purpose. They're quite inexpensive for their good quality level.
Do you know where they are made? I see quite a lot of them parked around the city, and they look pretty decent.
Old 02-15-19, 12:18 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Originally Posted by robertorolfo
Do you know where they are made? I see quite a lot of them parked around the city, and they look pretty decent.
No, I don't, so I'll assume Taiwan. That seems to be the place where high quality steel frames are welded in large volumes. There was a bike shop called HUB near my home. George Bliss was the owner. He said he was the top Linus dealer in the US for a while.

He also sold Biria which have very similar designs. Biria bikes cost more. He said the overall quality is a bit better and the paint, in particular, is more durable.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 02-15-19, 12:29 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 113 Posts
No, I don't, so I'll assume Taiwan. That seems to be the place where high quality steel frames are welded in large volumes. There was a bike shop called HUB near my home. George Bliss was the owner. He said he was the top Linus dealer in the US for a while.

He also sold Biria which have very similar designs. Biria bikes cost more. He said the overall quality is a bit better and the paint, in particular, is more durable.
Yes, Biria is a name I see quite often as well. They both have that vintage look, so I generally give them a closer look when walking past.

Neither website has much detail about where they are made, just a few mentions of Chromoly and Hi-Ten. I did find this little bit on the Linus website though, which seems dubious:

Sealed Bearings: This bike has sealed bearings in the front hub. The advantages of sealed bearings over loose bearings are less friction, no maintenance, and more resistant to grit, grime and weather, making for smooth rides and extending the life of the bike.

Likes For robertorolfo:
Old 02-15-19, 02:11 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts

My daughter's Calvin brand bike frame is marked "Made by M. Biria" on the seat stay, and is labeled "original German Quality" on the down tube. Three speed hub was made in Schwienfurt by Sachs, original tires were Nokian brand from Finland, don't know where the frame tubes were assembled. Bike was bought new in 2001 at the local Opel car dealer in the village of Reilingen just south of Heidelberg.

I've been using it the last few weeks because the easy on mounting/easy off dismounting, as well as the coaster brake are better/safer for riding in the prevailing slippery/snowy conditions.
Old 02-15-19, 03:16 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
I've been using it the last few weeks because the easy on mounting/easy off dismounting, as well as the coaster brake are better/safer for riding in the prevailing slippery/snowy conditions.
I appreciate those qualities. The Citi Bike fleet has drum brakes front and rear. It is a step through design, and the bike is about 50 pounds with wide tires. I feel confident on it in the slush.

Likes For noglider:
Old 10-05-19, 12:19 PM
steelrider58
NO LONGER A BF USER

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 12 Posts
I know it's not all that close, but here's my Rivvy on a budget. It's a mid 90s Specialized Crossroads with a mish-mash of old and new parts. I think I have less than $300 invested as you see it. Only the frameset, BB, wheels and seatpost are from the original bike.

Old 10-07-19, 09:02 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
Originally Posted by steelrider58
I know it's not all that close, but here's my Rivvy on a budget. It's a mid 90s Specialized Crossroads with a mish-mash of old and new parts. I think I have less than $300 invested as you see it. Only the frameset, BB, wheels and seatpost are from the original bike.
Nice bike, but your bars are too low.

Edit: Nice bag! Tell us about it!
Old 10-07-19, 09:42 AM
steelrider58
NO LONGER A BF USER

Originally Posted by Korina

The bag is actually a Rothco Travel/Shoulder bag which is not designed for bikes. I think I found it on Amazon for $17! I put a few pieces of stiff cardboard inside and used a couple small caribiners to hold it to the B-17 saddle's rear bag slots. I just cannot bring myself to spend much for tool bags since I don't do any long distance touring or commuting. I know it's a cheap alternative and we'll see how long it lasts. It has a nice shoulder strap so I can undo the bag from the saddle and sling it over my shoulder if I choose to. Shopping Link: https://www.amazon.com/Rothco-Canvas...462834&sr=8-21

Regarding the handlebars...I agree. I want to switch the handlebar to one with the same width and rear sweep but that also has about twice the rise. I've looked at the various Dimension Cruiser bars and I think one of those might work. More to come.
Likes For steelrider58:
Old 10-07-19, 10:59 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
@steelrider58, that bag belongs in the "Show us your hacks" thread. I like it.
Old 02-07-21, 07:55 PM
Maru

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mangosalsa
I had been riding a 1991 Bridgestone CB1 until I built something else. These were Grant's designs with his time at Bridgestone. The geometry of this frame is the same as the Atlantis. They do not have low-rider fork eyelets, and it doesn't have the dedicated fender mounting tab, but other than that it IS the poor-man's Atlantis. Ridden it with 2" street tires and 2.1 MTB tires off road. Commuted and short toured on it as well. It does everything (All Rounder). If you can find a CB, get one. The CB model that is the "most wanted" would be the Zip model. Here's a post to one set up as a great touring bike. Who'd have thought that a "hybrid" bike design would eventually cause such a stir? Mr. Petersen seems to know what he's doing, eh?
Vintage '90 Bridgestone CB-0 CB-Zip All-rounder and Touring Bicycle

I canceled my Photobucket account, so all of my Cb photos are on the home machine.
wow, you did a fantastic job on that.
Old 02-07-21, 09:25 PM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 605 Times in 402 Posts
Rivendell is the poor mans Mariposa.
Old 02-08-21, 03:35 PM
steelrider58
NO LONGER A BF USER

The ODG canvas bag you see in my photos is a Rothco Travel Shoulder Bag I bought on Amazon for about $16 or $18. I added some stiffeners and modified it so it would stay in place. It's not perfect but it sure beats spending $80 or more on a boutique brand. More info at Rothco Canvas & Leather Travel Shoulder Bag

Last edited by steelrider58; 03-02-24 at 08:54 AM.
Likes For steelrider58:
Old 04-17-22, 11:01 AM
heytchap

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
This thread gets a bump every few months and years after going dormant.

it looks like it’s my time to bump -

I have a few interesting bikes.

as far as a “poor man’s” Riv, I have a Bridgestone MB4 from 88 that’s absolutely beautiful with V.O. Porteur bars and wearing Panaracer GravelKing 26x2.1 shoes. It’s a peak Grant design and rides beautifully. I’ll get some pics soon.

I also have a Bridgestone 450 from 87. I’m pretty sure this is pre-Grant but it still rides like a dream and is usually my default and go-to bike.

[edit: Google tells me he started in 84, so the 450 may also be one of his designs but I have no idea.]

There’s one bike that’ll be joining my stable soon, one I’m very excited for: a Handsome XOXO clone of the Bridgestone XO-1 from 92. The XO effectively became the Atlantis, and I think this is about as close as I can really get without directly buying a Riv.

I see a lot of Brooks saddles here and while I like them aesthetically, I honestly dont like riding them. So, with that said, all of my bikes have Selle Anatomica X1 or X2 saddles mounted to them; they’re easily the most comfortable and, in my opinion, best saddles out there for the money.
Likes For heytchap:
Old 07-01-22, 11:50 AM
heytchap

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Since my last post, I’ve picked up a 1988 Bridgestone RADAC 3100, it’s aluminum, light as hell, and is silly fun to ride.

my XOXO from handsome should be coming in the next few weeks.

I’m currently wrenching on my MB2, so no pics of that yet.

and here’s my MB4 in its current state:

Likes For heytchap:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.