Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Confused on fitting for Trek Fx 7.4/DS 8.4/ Fuji Traverse 1.3/Merida Big.seven 300

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Confused on fitting for Trek Fx 7.4/DS 8.4/ Fuji Traverse 1.3/Merida Big.seven 300

Old 04-28-15, 08:38 AM
njt07

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everyone sorry for the long post and questions. I know there are tons of "will this bike fit me" threads and I think I've read all of them regarding these bikes:

Fuji Bikes | LIFESTYLE | CROSS TERRAIN | TRAVERSE 1.3 DISC
7.4 FX Disc - Trek Bicycle
8.4 DS - Trek Bicycle
Big.Seven 300 - Hardtails - Merida Bikes International

I know the last one is a mountain bike, but I'm still interested see below... Im more concerned with what type of riding posture is INTENDED with hybrids vs mountain bikes.

I went to Bike Fit Calculator | Find Your Bike Size | Competitive Cyclist and got the following measurements:

Inseam: 85.09cm/33.5in
Trunk: 59/23.2
Forearm: 33/12.9
Arm: 64/25.2
Thigh: 59/
Lower Leg: 56/23.2
Sternal Notch: 146/57.5
Total Body Height: 178/70
Any suggestions on sizes for these 4 bikes?

I think with the Trek FX i should be at 20" or 22.5"
The DS i think should be a 19"
The Fuji... no idea, will test ride a medium tomorrow
The Merida I test rode as well today, a 20" and it actually felt great, though slow and heavy compared to my Diamondback (expected of course). It was nice with the shocks (air shocks at this price???)

I test rode a Trek FX 7.4 and a DS 8.4 today both were 17.5" and they both felt "small" to me. The FX literally felt like I was sitting completely straight up with virtually no lean, i could have taken my hands off the handlebars and felt no real difference. Is this a size or fitting issue?

I currently have a 2012 Diamondback Insight 19" and it feels just right, perhaps *just* slightly large on me due to the amount of forward lean I have when riding (and accompanying pressure on my hands). This is by no means painful or uncomfortable though, I actually really like my Diamondback.

Please help as I would like to buy my new bike soon. I will be primarily using it for commuting with pannier bags (using a Bionx D500) along city streets, sidewalks and curbs, as well as hooking up a trail angel (Bicycle tow bar - Child towable trailer bike | Trail Angel) and towing my daughter (4) on her bike along the paved and unpaved (though smooth) trails around me for day trips. I don't foresee any serious trail riding in the future despite being interested in the Merida, it really was a great fit, but not the right kind of bike...

Thanks for your time, and if you made it all the way to the end of my post double thanks!
Old 04-28-15, 09:12 AM
gpburdell

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
I'm a little shorter and correspondingly smaller inseam and the 17.5" DS is a good fit for me. I tried the 19" and it was ever so slightly too big.

I'd say you need to try riding the 19" DS or FX. Kind of surprised the LBS didn't put you on one when you tried the 17.5

I chose the DS over the FX as I wanted more of a "Jeep" that I could take over rough sidewalks, through the parks, on light trail, etc. while not giving up as much road capability as a full MTB would have done. With the suspension I'm carrying an extra couple pounds but if that becomes a big concern I'll eat a couple more salads and lower the engine's weight.
Old 04-28-15, 10:37 PM
njt07

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ended up buying a Merida Big.Seven 500 as the LBS didnt have the 300 in 20". I really wanted the Trek FX/DS but I cant be comfortable buying a bike without trying it first. Ill pick up the Merida tomorrow!
Old 04-29-15, 05:39 AM
gpburdell

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by njt07
I really wanted the Trek FX/DS but I cant be comfortable buying a bike without trying it first. Ill pick up the Merida tomorrow!

Congrats. Wise choice to not buy something you've not ridden.
Old 04-29-15, 07:00 AM
njt07

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks!