Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

First road bike fitting

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

First road bike fitting

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-19, 11:27 PM
Irenicus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
First road bike fitting

Hey guys I just bought my first road bike and I am looking for some beginner advice on how to begin my journey.

I just got my bike back from the shop, had it tuned and got some new wraps on the handles. I did not get a professional fit. Will I be okay attempting to fit the thing myself? I don't really feel like dropping $150 if it's avoidable and I'm certainly not doing anything crazy, just commutes to work and back and ripping around town.

Currently watching some basic videos and I apologize if this is too basic of a thread but I'm hoping for some super noobie advice

Thanks guys <3
Old 07-05-19, 12:30 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
You made the right decision. Start riding more, experiment with your fit if you have obvious discomfort anywhere (give your body time to adjust to anything new), and hopefully you'll be fine. If you have persistent pain, then a bike fit may help, but lots of people never pay for one. After a year of riding I got a bike fit because I was riding longer and harder and wanted expert guidance on knee pain flare-ups and advice on a better saddle. I'm happy that I got the fit, but I don't think it would have been as helpful had I gotten it right when I started riding.
Old 07-05-19, 05:04 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I agree with Surak. As you ride your bike more and mileage increases, your body will get stronger and will change. What you find to be comfortable now may not be comfortable in 6 months. Put in some time and miles and see how it goes.
Old 07-05-19, 08:01 AM
Irenicus

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Did my first ride into work and can already tell the seat has to drop. Neck and back were getting some pain. Guess it’s just a continuous adjustment process!

Thanks guys
Old 07-05-19, 09:38 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Be careful of making large changes. I'm extremely guilty of this, but playing with saddle height can have a massive impact, especially. If your knee angle and reach are good then it might be better to experiment with bar height rather than saddle height.
Old 07-05-19, 12:45 PM
Irenicus

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
Be careful of making large changes. I'm extremely guilty of this, but playing with saddle height can have a massive impact, especially. If your knee angle and reach are good then it might be better to experiment with bar height rather than saddle height.
True. I am struggling figuring out how to even adjust the bars up and down haha. I lowered the seat so hopefully the ride home feels better
Old 07-05-19, 06:16 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
As for the bars, usually the fork assembly is shipped from the factory extra long and then cut down at a bike shop. Sometimes it may be cut too short in which case raising it is possible to raise it back by replacing the stem with an after market one that rises at a steeper angle. As said above, don't make drastic changes but you will need to make changes as cycling fitness improves with increased miles.

I have a drop bar bike though not an extreme drop from saddle to bar. Right now they are nearly the same with the bars just a bit below the saddle. In my early riding I had some neck discomfort which was cured by strengthening neck muscles. My back is in good shape for cycling as I do core exercises in addition to the riding. Cycling is very repetiticious so that if the fit is off it can get very uncomfortable. You may choose to do some exercises but in any case you will, over time, get stronger. The great thing is we can cycle well into old age. I'm 80 y.o. and doing fine.