Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

Bike trailer question

Search
Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Bike trailer question

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-18, 08:16 AM
favabean1982

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike trailer question

Hello everyone-I'm getting back into cycling after too long of a hiatus and would love to get my children involved. My two-year old son has been begging to ride in the Bell bike trailer we purchased from a rummage sale a few years ago-it's in good shape, however the clamp that clamps around the bike frame itself has a bit of an issue in that the rubber on the clamp is starting to wear away, exposing the metal underneath. Although there's still a substantial amount of rubber left, there's enough metal exposed where, even if I just clamp it onto my bike for a moment, it scrapes away a bit of the finish (I just got a brand new black Trek).
Any thoughts on how I can protect the finish and still use the trailer? Should I wrap the clamp in tape or something along those lines? Is there a replacement part I can purchase somewhere, or should I just bite the bullet a purchase a new trailer? That last part would be a bit of a bummer, as the trailer's in good shape, so any thoughts on how to save it would be appreciated!
Old 05-03-18, 09:13 AM
jkrjhn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm not sure what style of of hitch the Belle has but maybe try an old bike tube or dip the hitch in Plasti Dip. If you want to go big look into Burly's replacement hitch. I've read several reviews that people have successfully used them on non Burly trailers.