Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Any other old timers enjoy riding slow?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Any other old timers enjoy riding slow?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-18, 04:34 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1579 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 604 Posts
Dunno. Since resuming cycling in '02 I've ridden an average of 6-7000 kms/year. All solo; all at my own pace. I don't track anything (speed; hr; etc. etc.) so I've no idea how 'fast' or 'slow' I am other than through anecdotal/empirical observation: I'm 'faster' than some, 'slower' than some. That's all I know.

I like climbing more than descending (I'm skeered of going too fast downhill), and like 'rolling' terrain with lots of corners best of all.

That said, I've enjoyed every kilometer, and plan to continue to do so as long as my health holds out.
Old 08-22-18, 09:57 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Slow is relative. Any speed you ride is faster than rusting on the couch.
Old 08-22-18, 10:15 AM
Jimbo47

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm 71 and my hat is off to those the same age and older who can keep up with the younger guys.
I ride at my pace which is slow. I don't need to prove anything to anyone, but only to enjoy the experience of riding my way.
I get passed by joggers, so that tells you how slow I ride, but what the heck. It's better on my back and knees.
Old 08-22-18, 10:46 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,974 Times in 565 Posts
FWIW, I think recreational riding is like walking. Everybody has the speed (or effort) they are most comfortable with, and going either faster or slower than that speed just doesn't feel right.

It's not like people who ride slower or faster are making some kind of statement ... it's just feels right to them. And that is what I do. I'm really not a fan of purposely riding at a snail pace just to "relax," nor am I a fan of busting my gut into the land of anerobia to see how much punishment I can take. I just ride.

Typically, my average speed on a longish ride sux. That is mostly because although I usually ride at a brisk pace, I stop a lot to eat, chat, or take pictures. Then, it's back on the bike to catch up.

Old 08-22-18, 07:53 PM
davethelefty

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF SL, Cannondale Topstone 6, Co-op Cycles CTY 1.1

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 34 Posts
In my mid-60s I don't have the legs/lungs to ride fast anymore, and that's okay. On my fitness bike I average 12-13, 14-15 on my carbon road bike. I want to get back into longer rides but don't know if I have the stamina to train for centuries, so I'm cutting myself off at half-century (ok, and maybe metric century). I've got several half-centuries coming up and I need to train to ride faster, because for some reason I think it's bad that a half-century will take me 4 hours I guess it's interval time, though I loathe doing 'em.
Old 09-17-18, 07:28 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
I'll have days where I'll ride faster and days where I'll ride slower. Lots depends on the terrain, wind, whether there's interesting scenery/wildlife around, etc. I recently took out my old, heavy, steel, mtn.bike for a ride on a paved MUP, just to get a bit more of a workout than the road bike provides. Found out that the cyclometer had finally quit-after only 20 yrs or so!! But without anything to see how fast or what distance I covered, had one of the more enjoyable rides of late. How fast did I go--don't know, but fast enough to get to where I was going and back, and enjoy the day!
Old 09-17-18, 12:32 PM
justtrying

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Some interesting thoughts so far. I am slow about 12mph on a Giant Cypress. I have found that I am continually in the 85% range on my HM. After reading that LSR at a slower pace will help endurance & eventually speed. I did that this past weekend along the shore. It was slower but I did enjoy it. I will try to incorporate more when time permits. On another note as a previous poster wrote I really wish I started this wonderful activity years ago and not in my 60s. I wonder how much better I would or could be.
Old 09-17-18, 03:15 PM
rob214

Bikes: 2017 giant TCR, 2019 Santa Cruz tallboy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 17 Posts
I think slow is a relative term, I feel I ride slow. I'm an 18 mph average rider. I'm the slow guy in my friend group and always getting hassled. I love it. my friends push me to workout harder. when I want to ride slow I ride alone and enjoy the scenery(rare these days). but most days I chase my buddies around town for a great workout. I may never catch them but I have so much fun trying.
Old 09-17-18, 05:43 PM
IronM

Bikes: Fuji Transonic, Ridley Excalibur, Foundry Overland, Niner EMD

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
54 here. I'm not as old as some, but many think of me as 'old timer'. I abide by 'hard days hard, easy days easy'. I'm only good for two or so 'hard' rides a week, otherwise I'm rolling slow and easy. I enjoy getting out by myself, finding my own pace and getting lost in my head. Sped? I don't know; maybe 15-16 mph on rolling hills. The fall is my favorite time for it.. buy usually around December I start thinking about base training again.
Old 09-18-18, 05:24 AM
Gerry221

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced, Merida Racelight, Specialized Allez, Bianchi Doss 500 MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 23 Posts
I only have one pace....

Slow, I guess.
Old 09-18-18, 11:50 AM
hadassah
Almost 50 - Momma to Many

Bikes: Trek Skye S

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Earlier this summer I had a real scare when riding with a group of friends that I had not seen in a year. I pulled the group up a hill to put the hurt on, and half way up I could not breath. Just gasped for air and could not get any in. This never happened to me before outside of some specific training for it in a past life. Now, I ride low and slow and enjoy it all the same.
Sorry to hear about your scare. I too ride slow now after breaking my leg. I can't ride on gravel anymore (what I slid on) but do fine in town, on a paved road a few miles away and on our acreage where the ground is much softer for a fall. : ) I'm just grateful that I even still ride.
Old 09-18-18, 04:54 PM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
Since the roads are full of potholes, I do my riding to the gym, or to the shops on my shopper bike with man-basket. Both are excellent warm ups for well, in the second case, nothing really. Since 15 years ago, I'm quite accustomed to being overtaken by the ladies, some of who are powerhouses. But I do not like being overtaken by fellas. I got passed by two blokes today on my way to the gym down the cyclepath.
It is hard to change gear with clenched fists . . . .
Old 09-18-18, 10:29 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I'll let you know when I'm an old timer.
Old 09-21-18, 07:28 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
What is this "slow" thing people are talking about???
Old 09-23-18, 12:20 PM
lvolpe

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by robertj298
Every once in a while I like pushing myself where I'll average around 15 mph over 10-15 miles just to stay for but for the most part I enjoy a more relaxed pace of 10-12 mph. Where I can more enjoy the scenery around me. A lot of riders get too worked up over how fast a pace they can keep and miss everything that's going on around them.
I could not agree more. I ride for recreational purposes and while I have nothing against those going for speed or who may be training for an event, that simply is not the purpose of my ride. I also enjoy taking in the scenery around me especially on an early morning ride when everything is just starting to come alive.
Old 09-23-18, 08:49 PM
davethelefty

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF SL, Cannondale Topstone 6, Co-op Cycles CTY 1.1

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 34 Posts
slower = more enjoyable?

64 year old guy who rides a local 20 mile loop at about a 13 mph pace (depending on wind), and this loop takes me through a very large 55+ retirement community. I routinely pass people when I'm riding there. But I wonder if that elderly woman on the adult tricycle with a basket in the front and a Yorkie in the basket is enjoying her ride any less than I am because she's only going about 6-8 mph?

Here's another fun question for us old timers -- do you still wear Lycra shorts?
Old 09-23-18, 09:00 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I enjoy pretty fenders and baskets. And cotton/poly blend.
Old 09-23-18, 09:50 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8262 Post(s)
Liked 8,998 Times in 4,456 Posts
Originally Posted by FloridaDave
Here's another fun question for us old timers -- do you still wear Lycra shorts?
Of course, and cycling jerseys and road shoes with Look pedals except on the mtb I use SPD pedals. I'm also 64 and getting slower sucks. Wish I wasn't.
Old 09-23-18, 10:13 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by FloridaDave
64 year old guy who rides a local 20 mile loop at about a 13 mph pace (depending on wind), and this loop takes me through a very large 55+ retirement community. I routinely pass people when I'm riding there. But I wonder if that elderly woman on the adult tricycle with a basket in the front and a Yorkie in the basket is enjoying her ride any less than I am because she's only going about 6-8 mph?

On most rides longer than 20 minutes.
Old 09-23-18, 11:08 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
The faster you go, the more you will see.
Or the more you miss?

Since I live in the middle of the city, I prefer to set a distance well rather than speed.
Old 09-24-18, 08:52 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
I rode pretty slow last Sunday (even stopped to take a picture) and, I liked it...
Old 09-24-18, 08:55 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Or the more you miss?

Since I live in the middle of the city, I prefer to set a distance well rather than speed.
You miss 100% of the sights you never reach.
Old 09-25-18, 01:41 PM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
I spend a lot of my bike time on a gym bike. but I'm always late setting out . . .I use a bike to get there and back along a bike track. When I get on the open road it's a treat; riding over railway bridges, up and over the track is fun. Flat out. Love it. I do find it hard to ride slow on any bike, but my road bike just begs for speed. how can I deny my old friend her greatest need?
Old 09-25-18, 01:53 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Whats your hurry in the first place**********
Old 09-25-18, 08:01 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Whats your hurry in the first place**********
My feelings exactly. "Slow down and enjoy the journey."

Full disclosure: Sometimes I do feel the need for speed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.