Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

How many of you still turbo train?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-19, 04:02 AM
Grinstead

Bikes: Giant Prop Giant SLX Specialized roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have always done at least 1 turbo a week sometimes 3 if the weather is not good. We are spoilt for choice with apps such as zwift etc. At the moment i use Bigring VR with splendid views from all over the world from easy terrains to hard to very hard depending on what you want.
Getting out for real is of coarse much better but some of these apps makes turbo training more palatable than just staring at a wall 20 years ago.
Old 05-23-19, 05:43 AM
CyclingFool95 

Bikes: 1987 Pinarello Montello, 1996 Litespeed Classic, 1996 Colnago Master Light, 1997 Litespeed Ultimate, 2006 Opera Leonardo FP, 2006 Pinarello Paris FP, 1984 Pinarello Record, 89-ish Cornelo Profilo

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 73 Posts
In early December, I retired my Blackburn Mag trainer in favor of a Wahoo Core/Climb. I'm using Bkool so that I can ride real routes. Maybe not as good for fitness as a trainer program but much more fun. Yesterday, did a 4.5 mile route with 600+ feet of climbing and some 18% grades (which is where the Climb really is nice), so maybe the training is pretty good. Movie in the TV, iPad with Bkool right in front of me on a trainer desk (not the Wahoo. No way I pay that). Much nicer than the old days of phone books to jack up the front of the bike.
Old 05-23-19, 12:03 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Once the rain has stopped, I'm on my trainer for race warm-up only. Even with Zwift, I'd much rather be outside.
Old 05-23-19, 01:50 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Often, especially in extreme weather. The indoor trainer helped keep me in reasonable shape last year after I was out of commission with injuries and illness.

I still use it about once or twice a week. Sometimes it's for high intensity interval training, those spin like mad until I'm on the verge of barfing sessions. But I've cut back on those, no more than once a week, sometimes every other week. Other times it's just to loosen up the legs before an outdoor ride if I'm feeling tight or lethargic. An easy spin for 15-30 minutes is like a cup of coffee.

I set Strava or Wahoo Fitness for the timer function but I don't use a power meter or training apps. I get bored with training videos so I just watch a movie or favorite TV show while spinning.