Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What is the best Eroica 5 speed freewheel?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What is the best Eroica 5 speed freewheel?

Old 02-09-20, 08:07 PM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
It's a brutal climb,

I'd want something lower than a 28 running on a 28 to climb it.
My modern road bike is currently set up 34/36, just a fuzz lower than 1:1, but, I'm fairly light though so I think I'd be pretty good with that. And worst case scenario, I get hurt a bit, but I like getting hurt on the bike!
Old 02-10-20, 03:18 AM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Let some air out on Cypress, you should be ok if you don't have to stand.
Thanks for the tip, i do usually have ~120psi, I can always air back up for the hard roads when taking pictures at the top. Is Cypress the hardest climb?

Originally Posted by jackbombay
I don't think most people can appreciate the beauty in this freewheel.

2.5 miles that averages %6? What's your front ring? . . . I'm doing the Heroic with 28/28 gearing, I am determined to not walk, I may walk, but I can assure you that I will have disabled all the alarm bells in the engine room before I get on the bike that morning
My front ring is NR 41x52 BTW it's not walking it looking for photo opportunities LOL

The most brutal climb I have ridden to date is in Plumas county California, 4 miles that averages %10.3. I believe this is the best bike legal ass kicking piece of asphalt in the country, but if someone knows of a better one do tell!!!! https://www.strava.com/segments/12232546
It hurts just looking at this one.

** If anyone has a GPX of Cypress I would love to try it on my smart trainer, I could even back off the tension to simulate the spin fron the gravel LOL
​​​​​​​

Last edited by daviddavieboy; 02-10-20 at 03:23 AM.
Old 02-10-20, 10:28 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by daviddavieboy
Thanks for the tip, i do usually have ~120psi, I can always air back up for the hard roads when taking pictures at the top. Is Cypress the hardest climb?

** If anyone has a GPX of Cypress I would love to try it on my smart trainer, I could even back off the tension to simulate the spin fron the gravel LOL
Cypress is by far the hardest climb. Kiler may be steeper for a short section, but Cypress starts steep, gets steeper, and the road gets rougher as you get to the top. Here's a ridewithgps route. You can download the gpx from there. Cypress is the long climb between miles 25 and 28.

Last edited by gugie; 02-10-20 at 12:31 PM.
Old 02-10-20, 10:40 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
Originally Posted by BFisher
See, it's this kind of information that keeps me coming back here!

I just wanna be period correct, whatever that may be.

Be like Freddy, not like Eddy. Fill your water bottles with champagne. It has to be Lanson Champagne.
Old 02-10-20, 12:32 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Looks like my link didn't stick: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/26820654?beta=false You can pinch off a GPX file from it.
Old 02-10-20, 02:07 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Originally Posted by 63rickert
Be like Freddy, not like Eddy. Fill your water bottles with champagne. It has to be Lanson Champagne.
Gas powered greatness. Who needs an E-bike?
Old 02-10-20, 05:37 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

I just remembered, the Eroica California site has the GPX files all ready to download.
Old 02-10-20, 07:47 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,003 Times in 1,105 Posts
daviddavieboy
that is a neat feature of your trainer. Have you downloaded familiar climbs and found the sensations/effort/suffering to be comparable? Can you paperboy a bit to recover or do you get off and walk on an adjacent treadmill🤔

First question is serious.
Old 02-11-20, 06:08 PM
daviddavieboy

Originally Posted by Classtime
daviddavieboy
that is a neat feature of your trainer. Have you downloaded familiar climbs and found the sensations/effort/suffering to be comparable? Can you paperboy a bit to recover or do you get off and walk on an adjacent treadmill🤔

First question is serious.
For this I use Rouvy. You can upload and edit any GPX and it will control the resistance of smart trainer according to the grade. Yes I have downloaded my Strava segments and rode them on the trainer and it feels very similar to real live. That being said, I rode the GPX that gugie supplied and I am quite certain I will be walking especially after the riding leading up to the mountain.
Old 02-11-20, 06:38 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

...I rode the GPX that gugie supplied and I am quite certain I will be walking especially after the riding leading up to the mountain.
Don't worry, you'll have plenty of company!
Old 02-11-20, 06:43 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Maybe that could be the next step in Eroica training realism: your Zwift bike set up next to an inclined treadmill for those times everyone needs to walk.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 02-11-20, 08:48 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Thanks for the tip, i do usually have ~120psi,
I've been staring at that for a few days, wondering who still rides at super high pressures anymore? 120psi? I'm running 50psi on 700c x 32, and that's the skinniest, lowest pressure in my fleet.

Last edited by gugie; 02-16-20 at 09:22 PM.
Likes For gugie:
Old 02-11-20, 09:34 PM
Classtime 

For this I use Rouvy. You can upload and edit any GPX and it will control the resistance of smart trainer according to the grade. Yes I have downloaded my Strava segments and rode them on the trainer and it feels very similar to real live. That being said, I rode the GPX that gugie supplied and I am quite certain I will be walking especially after the riding leading up to the mountain.
So did you fatigue to the point that in your lowest gear you were virtually climbing at a speed too slow to maintain your balance in real life? I'm trying imagine the sensation.
Old 02-12-20, 02:56 AM
daviddavieboy

So did you fatigue to the point that in your lowest gear you were virtually climbing at a speed too slow to maintain your balance in real life? I'm trying imagine the sensation.
I started the climb fresh and at points my cadence was ~40 where I had to stand on the pedals, making my heart rate jump to near 170 after a couple minutes. For myself I don't think I could have enough momentum to stay upright while seated and not have enough energy to stand indefinitely. As a side note, I did a race in Zwift 20 min after and placed 1st in my category. !! On the Bologna climb TT no less. LOL
Likes For daviddavieboy:
Old 02-12-20, 06:51 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 502 Posts
Eroica is poetry in motion.

Where is Regina oro in the Regina hierarchy? I intend to have the biggest cog a 24 to keep it Catalog Correct.
Brooks saddles are so weird. Why on earth does it need to be pointed up like that to keep me from sliding forward? It is mounted in the center of the rails and the saddle to bar drop is my usual 7cm. (Not measured from the weird Brooks saddle nose.)
In it's day the Regina Oro was the top of the line.

Brooksies have a wide platform for your sit bones at the widest point of the saddle. If you can't keep your sitbones on those points you'll be on the more forward parts of the saddle and your weight will be borne on soft tissue. As you pedal and rock your hips, ouch! If the saddle is too far back, you could slide forward. If your saddle is not angled up, you could slide forward. If your saddle is too high, you could slide forward. If your saddle is angled too high up, you could have excess pressure on your softer bits. If your reach is too far combined with pelvis rotation, you could slide forward. Plus, B17s are not intended for deep saddle-handlebar drops. Racing saddles included Brooks B17N, Professional, Swallow, and Swift.

Do you have a lot of miles on that bike with the saddle in that position? Any long-distance rides? Do you use the heel-on-pedal technique to get your initial saddle position?
Old 02-12-20, 07:15 AM
Classtime 

The saddle is a Team Pro. It looks like that on my RS and also on my Milwaukee which are not so steep in the seat tube. All my saddles are nose up but not as extreme as the Brooks. The bike is pretty new to me but I have a couple 75 mile rides and some 50s. I've ridden that saddle on the BWR (130miles), several 200k brevets and a 300k. My saddle is fine. I realized that I have quite the collection of New Winner FWs and one is an Utra 6 that goes to 24. The new Regina Chain will go on the shelf for another day and I'll get a new and shiny SRAM for EroicaCA.

Last edited by Classtime; 02-12-20 at 07:27 AM.
Old 02-12-20, 02:04 PM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 345 Posts
+ 1 on this.

East Burke mtn in NH is pretty brutal, averages 12% over 3 miles.
Hey! Must I point out that Burke Mountain is in Vermont? I suppose I must.
New Hampshire! [fumes silently]
You're right, though, about it being a memorable ride.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash

Last edited by jonwvara; 02-12-20 at 04:31 PM.
Old 02-12-20, 02:08 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5885 Post(s)
Liked 3,468 Times in 2,078 Posts
Originally Posted by jonwvara
Hey! I must I point out that Burke Mountain is in Vermont? I suppose I must.
You're right, though it is a memorable ride.
Well it's a brutal climb. You can excuse anyone who does it for being confused as to which state they're in,
Old 02-12-20, 09:27 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1451 Post(s)
Liked 2,183 Times in 960 Posts
Originally Posted by jonwvara
Hey! Must I point out that Burke Mountain is in Vermont? I suppose I must.
You're right, though, about it being a memorable ride.
Well it's a brutal climb. You can excuse anyone who does it for being confused as to which state they're in,
Vermont- vs. New Hampshire, just remember jonwvara we were pretty nice to that old man from Burlington yesterday. . Can you feel the Bern?

The best freewheel for Eroica is the one which lets you finish without breaking (and has been properly serviced and not subjected to a flush and dribble).
Old 02-14-20, 07:02 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 502 Posts
The saddle is a Team Pro. It looks like that on my RS and also on my Milwaukee which are not so steep in the seat tube. All my saddles are nose up but not as extreme as the Brooks. The bike is pretty new to me but I have a couple 75 mile rides and some 50s. I've ridden that saddle on the BWR (130miles), several 200k brevets and a 300k. My saddle is fine. I realized that I have quite the collection of New Winner FWs and one is an Utra 6 that goes to 24. The new Regina Chain will go on the shelf for another day and I'll get a new and shiny SRAM for EroicaCA.
Hi, well it sounds like you certainly have a Brooks installation you are happy with. There are narrower Brooks designs out there, if you're interested.

In your second post you expressed surprise the nose needed to be up so high. That comment is what I was responding to, volunteering my experience with Brooks. I go a little nose-up with a Professional Select, but with a rather narrower Swallow I'm dead-level. If you're fine with what you have, good for you - the bottom line (lol!) with leather is to find a setup you like. Ride happy!

Last edited by Road Fan; 02-14-20 at 07:07 PM.
Likes For Road Fan:
Old 02-14-20, 09:00 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3854 Post(s)
Liked 6,448 Times in 3,188 Posts
Sheldon tells me you can go down to 36t on the small GS ring, so ...
Old 02-15-20, 07:36 AM
iab

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 3009 Post(s)
Liked 3,771 Times in 1,405 Posts
Yea, and to be in accordance with rule #5 there is only one route option at Eroica, not 4, that route is of course the 108 mile with 8000'+, everybody here says I'm going to walk my bike, because my low gear is only 28/28, in light of this, there is no way anyone is showing up and riding the 108 mile route with a corncob freewheel and not doing a lot of walking, just not possible on gravel as you can't stand to climb.
Who exactly cares if you walk your bike? Some dumbass/tongue-in-cheek rule that has nothing to do with this event?

And honestly I don't care if you want to be heroic or not, but what I don't understand are all the hand-wringing threads about equipment. It's just a bike. Ride it.
Likes For iab:
Old 02-15-20, 11:01 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
And honestly I don't care if you want to be heroic or not, but what I don't understand are all the hand-wringing threads about equipment. It's just a bike. Ride it.
Zackly.

Right tool for the job, and all that.
Old 02-15-20, 11:40 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Depending on the era, having to walk your bike up the steep gravel hills was pretty common, anyway. So who cares what other people think while you do it?

(Images pilfered from BikeRaceInfo.com, of course.)
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 02-15-20, 12:02 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
It's just a bike. Ride it.
Agreed.

Overthinking will sap the fun out of anything.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.