Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

2019 racing stories!

Old 02-01-19, 04:19 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
or forum.
Yes. It's bad enough reading about zwift in the training thread and seeing it on Strava.

Old 02-02-19, 08:44 PM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
35+ 123 Folsom Winter Crit in Californian blizzard conditions; 40s and rainy.

20 ish on the line and we had 5. Attacks came early and often .. team did well to be in them. Two strong riders rolled off the front around 20 - 25 min into the race. I bridged across taking 1 with me and a 5th joined later. We worked well together, no skipped pulls, no prime fights, just rolled.

Camaraderie fell apart on the backside of the last lap. With our gap to the field sitting around 25s we slowed quite a bit before someone took initiative with a solid attack. I chased and caught them going into the final corner. Took the longer sprint line and did what I could, but got nipped at the line for 2nd by Matt and Fudgy's (former?) teammate.
Old 02-02-19, 08:45 PM
hack

Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
at least you weren't publicly shamed on youtube for sucking at those corners!
Cornering video? Fully TLDW.
Old 02-02-19, 10:33 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by hack
35+ 123 Folsom Winter Crit in Californian blizzard conditions; 40s and rainy.

20 ish on the line and we had 5. Attacks came early and often .. team did well to be in them. Two strong riders rolled off the front around 20 - 25 min into the race. I bridged across taking 1 with me and a 5th joined later. We worked well together, no skipped pulls, no prime fights, just rolled.

Camaraderie fell apart on the backside of the last lap. With our gap to the field sitting around 25s we slowed quite a bit before someone took initiative with a solid attack. I chased and caught them going into the final corner. Took the longer sprint line and did what I could, but got nipped at the line for 2nd by Matt and Fudgy's (former?) teammate.
Awesome work dude! Happy for you to be on the podium again.

Yeah Dave is our former teammate, but it's all good.

my race videos
Old 02-02-19, 11:00 PM
mattm
**** that

Folsom Winter Crit P1/2 field. 5th.

Forecast was rain all week. It seems like I've lost my wet cornering ability with all my time in CA, so I got up the nerve to go out and get good at corner on wet again. On top of that I had a stupid crash while training last week, when it wasn't even wet - hit a bump, hands came off the bars, and I keeled over, basically. Nothing bad but a decent amount of road rash.

So I was happily surprised to see dry-ish roads and the sun peeking through the clouds. Just enough wet that you might not want to rail every corner, but not soaked or actively raining.

We had 3 guys, only 23 or so on the line. Two breakaway dudes and me, an ok breakaway guy and an ok sprinter. Three of the strongest sprinters in the region were there too.

A few dudes went otf at the end of the first lap, and once I saw who was there (fast guy from a fast team) I bridged up. Turns out one of my guys was already up there but we had a nice fast pace and solid rotation going and got a gap quickly. Shelled one or two guys so there were three of us left. Pack was out of sight behind and we kept motoring. Escaping the sprinters, my plan was working!

After 15 mins or so two of the strongest dudes bridged up, towing another guy along. At this point there were six of us. Usually this would blow up the break but my teammate smartly attacked, taking the fast non-sprinter guy with him, I sat on the other three dude's wheels.

The two up the road got a ~15" gap and lapped the field just before we did, about 30 mins in to the race. The whole time I'm just sitting on these other guys, since I have a dude up the road. Once we lapped they went to the front to continue the chase, with me still sitting on.

The annoying thing about lapping the field in a race is somehow a lot of people have no idea they've been lapped - so they're fighting for wheels and racing as if their race isn't over..

That ****ed me up on the last lap (well that and me waiting too long to attack) - two lapped guys attacked coming in to the last turn, I had to go wide around them, the two sprinter dudes went inside with a much better line. Plus they push like 1600w in a sprint.. so the two sprinters beat me and I got 5th.

Teammate got 2nd, sounds like it was close. Super happy for him!

my race videos
Old 02-03-19, 01:28 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 2,438 Times in 1,425 Posts
@hack Great result
@mattm I really liked lapping the field.
Old 02-04-19, 02:20 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
Folsom Winter Crit P1/2 field. 5th.

Teammate got 2nd, sounds like it was close. Super happy for him!
He's riding really strong. I chased and failed to catch him at EBC last Sunday.
Old 02-12-19, 10:24 AM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
@TMonk owes us a story 😁
Old 02-12-19, 04:17 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2503 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,568 Posts
@wktmeow you called?

Roger Millikan Race Report:Date: 2/10/2019
Category: 3
Racer: David Garcia
Place: 2/53

Last weekend we kicked off the season with a good showing at Roger Millikan. In the 3’s field we had five riders including myself. Going into the race I thought we would also have three other capable riders, which would make us far and away the strongest team in the field. In that case, my plan was to constantly be on the attack and eventually make something stick. Without these riders present I knew we would have to be more conservative.

In the first half of the race there were a few random attacks that didn’t really cause much alarm IMO. I stayed near the front and even popped out on the front a few times when the pace slowed just so I wouldn’t get swamped in with the mid pack riders.

A bit under halfway through, a group of 6-8 got a gap and were in front of the field for a while, at which point I started to get slightly concerned. Trevor (strong teammate) rolled alongside me and asked if I was worried about it, and I said kinda-sorta-not really. At any rate he made a strong move to bridge up so that took a lot of pressure off.

After a few more laps some strong riders in the field were putting pretty hard digs on the front and it was clear the break was going to get caught. The pace was fast as we caught them at the bottom of the hill and right as the riders on the front eased up I countered super hard on the outside and got clear.After a lap OTF I looked back and saw 4 riders chasing with a clear gap on the field. Perfect. I stayed out there for another lap and eased up going up the hill so I could let them roll past me and slot in to start working immediately. We worked together nicely and I felt great in the break. I gapped my break mates a couple times pulling up the hill and even had to coast at one point to let them latch back on. Of the 5, it was obvious that only two others were going to be contenders to win as the other two were struggling a bit and not riding super smoothly, making mistakes.

Fast forward to one to go, I’m taking my pull on the back stretch and then go a bit wide after the chicane expecting the rider to pull through, which he didn’t. Field was getting close and I was spooked so I yelled, letting them know we couldn’t afford that. The next rider pulled through super weak and from third wheel the winner (Levi) launched and got clear. I hesitated which is why I lost. I counted to three Mississippi, at which point it was already apparent I was racing for second. I let the rider take me (suuuper slowly) through the last corner and launched up the hill and held on for second. Guy behind me got third, last two were swallowed by the field.

I’m disappointed that I didn’t go with Levi because I had the legs to win. After being on the front I wanted another rider to go and “leap frog” up past Levi, but it didn’t happen. You snooze you lose.

Overall it was a great start to the season and I’m looking forward to more aggressive racing in the weeks to come.

first loser

low-res action shot, crankin'

Last edited by TMonk; 02-12-19 at 04:30 PM.
Old 02-12-19, 04:31 PM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
You guys were killing it out there. The chasers were crapping themselves to bring back the first move and you countered it perfectly, super exciting race to watch.
Old 02-12-19, 04:40 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Thanks Matt, it felt right, and all the cheering from the team and affiliates helped keep the energy level high.
Old 02-12-19, 06:31 PM
mattm
**** that

@TMonk nice racing! Sounds like you had great legs that day, and you put them to good use.

2's upgrade coming soon?

my race videos
Old 02-12-19, 06:35 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

I'm only at 11 points now so I have a ways to go, but if I can keep up this fitness and race often I'll get there this season.
Old 02-12-19, 07:03 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

@TMonk Congrats on a well executed race.
Old 02-13-19, 12:32 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Great job @TMonk! You going to be at Victorville on Saturday?
Old 02-13-19, 03:47 AM
ntnyln

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts
Congrats @TMonk! Great racing to start the season.
Old 02-13-19, 08:21 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

thanks all!

@furiousferret yep, planning on the cat 3 RR on Sat, and the cat 3 + 30+ 3/4 criteriums on Sunday. Maybe I'll see you there! Staying with some family in Rancho Cucamonga for the weekend.
Old 02-13-19, 10:30 AM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
well done, @TMonk
Old 02-16-19, 07:45 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Victorville Road Race 3/4 30+

First race of the year, and every first race of the year my game plan is to go out there and dominate like Prime Jordan, then you show up and realize its not going to be that easy.

It was cold and windy, temps in the 40's with a steady 20+ mph wind? Making it a wind chill somewhere in the 30's. Race starts out with about 25 riders or so, mostly Cat 3s. I didn't warm up much because I figured the 1st lap of the 48 mile race would be easy, and it was. Next few laps were surgy though, with a team making selective punches on certain parts of the course. Halfway in a rider towards the front of me left a 20 foot gap and that was it. Three of us worked as hard as we could to catch back on but it didn't happen, and I ended up beating the other for 15th / 4th in Category. That was the worst wind I had to race in and it reminded me of those windy flat tour stages, I don't think the race had any real peletons, just small groups of 2-5 riders. Taking a 300w pull and going 15 mph on a flat just sucks.

Ultimately I have mixed feelings, I hustled in race that was painful enough for people to just quit (that wind almost brought me down 3x) but if I was more aggressive / smarter I could have done much better.

I am pretty sure @TMonk did really well.
Old 02-16-19, 09:59 PM
Radish_legs

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 33 Posts
yup, 300w at 15mph is a real drag (no pun intended)!
Old 02-18-19, 12:22 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Victorville RR 2/16/19, Category: 3, 1st/13 starters

cold and windy

Cold, windy and miserable, but glad that I showed up!

It was a weird race due to the very windy conditions. By the halfway point, half of the (small) field had been dropped without any concerted attacks.

It was also weird because there was a solo rider OTF for almost the entire race, into the last of seven laps. His gap was a steady 50 seconds until about 3 to go when we started finally working. Someone attacked up the climb and it selected the remaining strong riders, 4 not including myself.

On the second to last lap, it was clear to me that riders were suffering. Not being able to pull through etc. I encouraged everyone to stay together and stay smooth.

On the last lap we started having trouble being cohesive. I was gapping people on pulls and things just weren’t smooth. For a while I thought that we were racing for second.

Going up the final climb I gapped them again and was in a bit of a pickle. Anything could have happened, so I had to monitor the gap behind, the gap ahead, and my effort level. After a few minutes it was clear that they weren’t going to get it together, so I doubled down to catch the leader. I knew at this point that I was going to win.

I caught him and he was understandably suffering, having watched his gap diminish over the last two laps. I told him to latch on and pulled most of the way to the final corner where I beat him in the sprint as he didn’t have much left in the tank.

I’m happy with the race, my fitness level, and my confidence out there! Everything is clicking nicely for me right now. I wish that there were more starters in the race so that I could have earned more points!

Victorville Crit, 2/17/2019, Category: Master’s 30+ 3 and 4 combined, 1st/19 starters, 5+ Cat 3’s

also cold and windy

Less cold, less windy, less miserable, but only by a little bit. Also glad that I showed up!

Before I drove up the hill from Rancho Cucamonga, I was worried that there would be under 5 cat 3’s on the start line. There needs to be at least 5 for it to be worth any points. There were only 4 pre-registered but some day-of’s showed up thankfully.

Lining up for this I kind of felt like this was my race to lose. Objectively I was one of the better riders in the field due to my age (32) and racing level. My success from the day before also gave me some confidence.

I tail-gunned the first couple laps until some of the riders further back left some gaps so I moved up mid pack. Next lap (three in), I launched hard up the S/F straight and got clear.

I rode there for 5 laps or so before being caught by a group of 4. I almost threw in the towel because the chase group was gaining on me slowly and the field wasn’t far behind. At some point the field fell way behind the chase, so I eased to let them reel me in.

We worked together nicely and rolled it for the rest of the race without a hitch. I was clearly the strongest in the break and needed to ease up here and there for my break-mates, so I just took longer pulls instead. The moto. official came by to tell us when our gap went up to 40, 50 then 60 seconds by 5 to go. The winner was coming from our move.

I have a decent sprint, but I didn’t like how fast the S/F straight was with the tailwind, and my RD was shifting kinda weird, so I didn’t save it for the sprint. I took it slightly easy on my final pull and launched just after the bell lap from the rear and again got clear. One of the break mates put in a respectable chase but I was still able to coast across the line comfortably. Which is good because that last lap hurt.

Overall, I’m super happy with my performances! My fitness and racing tact are coming along nicely and I feel like I’m capable of racing at a higher level of speed.

Last edited by TMonk; 02-19-19 at 12:08 AM.
Old 02-18-19, 02:03 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

@TMonk Congrats on the wins at the road race and the crit.
Old 02-18-19, 08:44 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
@TMonk! Wow! Congrats on doubling up. That's awesome.
Old 02-18-19, 08:56 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Congrat @TMonk, Upgrade time!

Last edited by echappist; 02-18-19 at 11:27 PM.
Old 02-19-19, 10:30 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Originally Posted by echappist
Congrat @TMonk, Upgrade time!
Thanks! I still need 10 points, but I should be able to get there in a few races.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.