Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Where to find Newbie Races

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-19, 11:48 AM
bikerguyin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If i'm just started in riding road bikes, where would I go to sign up for an amateur race? I would like to sign up for 1 a year out so that I can force myself to train.

Thanks!
Old 12-26-19, 12:22 PM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by bikerguyin
If i'm just started in riding road bikes, where would I go to sign up for an amateur race? I would like to sign up for 1 a year out so that I can force myself to train.

Thanks!
Welcome to road bikes bikerguyin, and to the forum. Where you sign up really depends on where you are located, and to sometimes what type of race you are interested in. If you are in Oregon, go to obra.org.

cmh
Old 12-26-19, 12:30 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by bikerguyin

Thanks!
Don't spend a whole year training. Start racing the nearest training race circuit. Many areas have weekly crits with divisions for first year racers to learn the sport and develop skills. Asking around your LBSs is a great place to start, as is https://www.usacycling.org/events. If you post your location, there are likely several posters here who could direct you to the local races.

Crux of the matter is that you don't need a year. You just need basic fitness, some experience riding in a pack (ride as many local group rides as you can), and a willingness to learn.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 12-26-19, 12:31 PM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
Also, I should have mentioned the sticky 'New to Racing?' thread at the top of this forum. Depending on where you live, finding a group ride that includes bike racers is often the best way to find out about races in your area, learn pack riding skills, build fitness, find training partners and generally build racing readiness.
Old 12-27-19, 12:50 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Just to pile on with everyone else - You don't need a year. Just try one. That's probably the most underappreciated aspect of road vs challenge events: You don't have to train for a year in order to complete it. You can just try it and when it happens if you want to try something different you usually can the next weekend or again on the same day.

You don't mention whether or not you are in the US but if you are then USA Cycling is your resource. Check out the site and look it over. Maybe hold off on getting a license or membership until January as there is a new membership structure coming.

Old 12-27-19, 02:07 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Go on www.bikereg.com and look for "early bird" races.
Likes For caloso: