Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

I-8 through the Sonoran Desert.

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

I-8 through the Sonoran Desert.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-20, 09:47 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
Great thread. I am jealous of Your 'social distancing' :-)
Old 03-18-20, 12:58 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus
Great thread. I am jealous of Your 'social distancing' :-)
Ha, good one. 😁 It’s actually working out pretty good for me. Way less traffic to contend with, when most folks are staying home. 👍

I got the heck out of the San Diego area, after all, but did grab a couple gigantic slices of good pizza, in Little Italy. 😘

I came up through La Jolla & Torrey Pines, and I’m on Highway 101 now, aka El Camino Real. It’s kinda hard to get lost now, lol, so the phone is way less important now. 😉

Yesterday afternoon, it was sunny & around 65 F, & I was sitting at La Jolla Shores watching girls in bikinis trying to distract me. 😎 It wasn’t too bad, but I was trying to eat a burrito, that turned out to be kinda messy. Let’s just say, you shouldn’t try to eat a messy burrito, when half-nekkid women are running loose. 😁😉

Today, It’s been raining since I got up, around 6:30 (?), and kinda chilly. I’m now at a state park in Cardiff-By-The-Sea, recharging my phone & battery in a public bathroom, lol. 🙄 It’s not as bad as it sounds, these bathrooms are clean & modern, not like most public ones.
Old 03-18-20, 02:01 PM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

I know that state park! I was there on vacation 15 years ago 👍👍
Old 03-19-20, 03:19 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
Originally Posted by stardognine
Ha, good one. 😁 It’s actually working out pretty good for me. Way less traffic to contend with, when most folks are staying home. 👍

I got the heck out of the San Diego area, after all, but did grab a couple gigantic slices of good pizza, in Little Italy. 😘

I came up through La Jolla & Torrey Pines, and I’m on Highway 101 now, aka El Camino Real. It’s kinda hard to get lost now, lol, so the phone is way less important now. 😉

Yesterday afternoon, it was sunny & around 65 F, & I was sitting at La Jolla Shores watching girls in bikinis trying to distract me. 😎 It wasn’t too bad, but I was trying to eat a burrito, that turned out to be kinda messy. Let’s just say, you shouldn’t try to eat a messy burrito, when half-nekkid women are running loose. 😁😉

Today, It’s been raining since I got up, around 6:30 (?), and kinda chilly. I’m now at a state park in Cardiff-By-The-Sea, recharging my phone & battery in a public bathroom, lol. 🙄 It’s not as bad as it sounds, these bathrooms are clean & modern, not like most public ones.
musta been landini's. solid thin crust/ny style pizza,
Old 03-19-20, 03:21 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
latest news is that california state park campgrounds are closed until further notice. given the craziness going on and the lack of management/oversite/response, your results may vary...

Last edited by diphthong; 03-19-20 at 03:26 AM.
Old 03-19-20, 08:36 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Originally Posted by ooga-booga
latest news is that california state park campgrounds are closed until further notice. given the craziness going on and the lack of management/oversite/response, your results may vary...
I still haven’t seen any State Park campgrounds, but the beaches were definitely open yesterday. I’m in Oceanside now, and was not allowed to ride through Camp Pendleton’s main gate this morning. 🙁 A google brought me to BF’s Southern Cal subforum, to confirm my best option is I-5.

I don’t mind that at all, but I think I’ll do it tomorrow, when it’s not raining. 🙄😉
Old 03-19-20, 08:48 AM
PedalingWalrus

Is the traffic lighter than usual? (if You have any reference points to compare)
Old 03-19-20, 02:16 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus
Is the traffic lighter than usual? (if You have any reference points to compare)
No idea what “usual” traffic is like here. You have to remember, I’m just a dumb hick from Pennsylvania. 😁😉

I took off again after all, because I found a great deal on yesterday’s spare ribs & lemon pound cake, in a small grocery store/deli. Heck, the ribs were still warm, in one of those warmer cases, how could I not buy some? 😁 I almost had to wrestle an older Asian lady for the ribs, but we settled for 2 packages apiece. 😁

At the first rest area North of Oceanside, I was testing the pound cake, to make sure it was safe to eat, when a whole herd of these birds came along. I think these are the same type of Tanagers I saw, way back around Yuma (?), and had no idea what they were then. They weren’t shy, a couple came right up to me, panhandling for cake crumbs. 😎

Old 03-19-20, 02:20 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

I meant to say, if you look closely, these guys have a big orange band with yellow borders, under their wings. Sitting on the ground, you can barely see a little, but when they flap their wings, you see a whole lot of bright orange, with that yellow outline. 🙂

BTW, if you look again, you’ll see a goofy squirrel, trying to trick me out of cake. 😉 I didn’t even see him, when I took the pic, but did afterwards.

Last edited by stardognine; 03-19-20 at 02:24 PM.
Old 03-25-20, 09:17 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by stardognine
I meant to say, if you look closely, these guys have a big orange band with yellow borders, under their wings. Sitting on the ground, you can barely see a little, but when they flap their wings, you see a whole lot of bright orange, with that yellow outline. 🙂

BTW, if you look again, you’ll see a goofy squirrel, trying to trick me out of cake. 😉 I didn’t even see him, when I took the pic, but did afterwards.
Those look like the normal Red-Winged Blackbird we have here in the Midwest.. BUT there is a sub-variation in Costal California called the Tri-colored Blackbird. https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/...d_Blackbird/id