Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Anyone ever tour the Delaware and LeHigh Trail?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-18, 08:11 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts

Robow actually turned me on to this.

Delaware & Lehigh - National Heritage Corridor

Looks great. Anyone know what the trail conditions are like? I am considering riding it this year.

Travel there is going to be fairly convenient for me. The Amtrak Pennsylvanian actually leaves Pittsburgh at a decent hour (7:30 AM) and goes to Trenton the start of the trail.
Old 03-13-18, 05:25 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18462 Post(s)
Liked 15,723 Times in 7,391 Posts
Last September I rode south from White Haven, and have ridden the Lehigh Gorge Trail more times than I can count. It's an o.k. section, but it can get stinky in the gorge on a warm, humid day. Trail conditions are fine. South from JT there is a gap. Here is how I got around it:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/23517634

Picked up the trail again in Bowmanstown. From there to N. Catasaqua is not really scenic, but trail conditions are decent. There is another big gap in N. Catasaqua. Also, at 62.7 on the above map, that road is one way in the wrong direction, and it's narrow. I did not take and instead plotted a course around it to pick up the trail where shown on the map. Lot's of traffic along this trail gap. From there to Easton the trail is poorly marked in places and can be a bit confusing. It's shaded, but some sections were like riding flat single track.

The map isn't complete, but I went all the way to Easton, where I got a motel. The next morning I took the trail on the PA side of the river to Riegelville then crossed into NJ. There is a Roebling designed and built bridge there. That section of the trail can be a bit gravelly in places, but there are some decent views of the river. Followed quiet roads on the NJ side that I am well familiar with to Milford the crossed back into PA and took the trail about 1.5 miles south to reach a campground near Upper Black Eddy.

The next morning I went back to Milford, NJ and took a road toward Frenchtown to pick up the D&R feeder trail to Lambertville. It's my understanding that the D&L trail on the PA might still be damaged/rough in places from past floods. If it is, you don't want to have to ride PA 32. I hate that road and will only ride it in an emergency. Minimal to no shoulder and too many impatient drivers. A cyclist was killed on that road several years back. The D&R trail has a good surface of crushed limestone and is well shaded, but not that interesting. In the summer vegetation blocks most of the river views. Bull's Island recreation area along the way is the most interesting spot. There is a pedestrian bridge across the river which has a nice view.

Can't help you beyond that as I have never ridden either the D&R or the D&L south of Lambertville or New Hope. I have seen most of the D&R between Lambertville and I-95 while driving on NJ 29. It looks perfectly benign.

Can you now take your bike on the Pennsylvanian?

This was taken between Bethlehem and Easton:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/105349...7685810338542/

There were some portions along this stretch that were narrower.

Cannot remember if this was north or south of Easton:

Last edited by indyfabz; 03-13-18 at 08:17 AM.
Old 03-13-18, 06:27 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Last September I rode south from White Haven, and have ridden the Lehigh Gorge Trail more times than I can count. It's an o.k. section, but it can get stinky in the gorge on a warm, humid day. Trail conditions are fine. South from JT there is a gap. Here is how I got around it:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/23517634

Picked up the trail again in Bowmanstown. From there to N. Catasaqua is not really scenic, but trail conditions are decent. There is another big gap in N. Catasaqua. Also, at 62.7 on the above map, that road is one way in the wrong direction, and it's narrow. I did not take and instead plotted a course around it to pick up the trail where shown on the map. Lot's of traffic along this trail gap. From there to Easton the trail is poorly marked in places and can be a bit confusing. It's shaded, but some sections were like riding flat single track.

The map isn't complete, but I went all the way to Easton, where I got a motel. The next morning I took the trail on the PA side of the river to Riegelville then crossed into NJ. There is a Roebling designed and built bridge there. That section of the trail can be a bit gravelly in places, but there are some decent views of the river. Followed quiet roads on the NJ side that I am well familiar with to Milford the crossed back into PA and took the trail about 1.5 miles south to reach a campground near Upper Black Eddy.

The next morning I went back to Milford, NJ and took a road toward Frenchtown to pick up the D&R feeder trail to Lambertville. It's my understanding that the D&L trail on the PA might still be damaged/rough in places from past floods. If it is, you don't want to have to ride PA 32. I hate that road and will only ride it in an emergency. Minimal to no shoulder and too many impatient drivers. A cyclist was killed on that road several years back. The D&R trail has a good surface of crushed limestone and is well shaded, but not that interesting. In the summer vegetation blocks most of the river views. Bull's Island recreation area along the way is the most interesting spot. There is a pedestrian bridge across the river which has a nice view.

Can't help you beyond that as I have never ridden either the D&R or the D&L south of Lambertville or New Hope. I have seen most of the D&R between Lambertville and I-95 while driving on NJ 29. It looks perfectly benign.

Can you now take your bike on the Pennsylvanian?

This was taken between Bethlehem and Easton:

There were some portions along this stretch that were narrower.

Cannot remember if this was north or south of Easton:

Thanks for all of the good information. I will need time to digest it all.

What is a good time to go? I have August and September. I could probably even go as late as October if the weather holds.

Oh rats. I just checked again. The Pennsylvanian does not have RORO! Though the guess it could still go boxed. I will need to check that out. My office is just a couple of blocks or so from the station.

I think I got it confused with the symbol on the Capital Limited which allows bikes but the train to Trenton does not.

How hard is it to put a bike rack in a baggage car?
Old 03-14-18, 05:54 AM
indyfabz

There is no baggage car on the Pennsylvanian.

And what were you contemplating? Going up and then riding back the same route?
Old 03-14-18, 03:44 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by indyfabz
There is no baggage car on the Pennsylvanian.

And what were you contemplating? Going up and then riding back the same route?
No wonder Amtrak sucks so bad. How in the hell do you run a long distance train line with no baggage car?

I was going to take the train to Trenton then ride the trail to Wilkesbarre then rent a car to come back to Pittsburgh.

Either it will need to be a round trip on the trail or I would need to have 2 rentals.

I thought of Megabus but they hate bicycles too.
Old 03-15-18, 06:54 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by spinnaker
No wonder Amtrak sucks so bad. How in the hell do you run a long distance train line with no baggage car?
It's not long distance by Amtrak standards. The Pennsylvanian used to be the famed Broadway Limited that went from NYC to Chicago. It was discontinued in 1995 for financial reasons and replaced with the all-coach Three Rivers service. I took that twice to the start of bike tours in Seattle, transferring to the Empire Builder in CHI. Eventually the service was cut back to Pittsburgh and renamed the Pennsylvanian. Marked the first time since the early 1900s that there was no direct service between NYC and CHI. Useless trivia: Most people thought the Broadway Limited was named for the street in NYC. It was not. The name referred to the wide, four-track route the service used for most of the way.
Old 03-15-18, 09:56 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
I was intrigued too and plan on doing the D&L this spring or summer. I contacted them and asked about camping along the route. They responded quickly with the map below. I hope it helps.

Good luck.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...2955000002&z=9