Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

2020 Motobecane Fantom Cross UNO PRO DISC

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

2020 Motobecane Fantom Cross UNO PRO DISC

Old 02-16-20, 12:22 AM
  #1  
zsir
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2020 Motobecane Fantom Cross UNO PRO DISC

Has anyone bought one from bikes direct yet? Really curious how much it weighs and how the rear caliper mounts.

fantom disc
zsir is offline  
Old 02-16-20, 02:14 PM
  #2  
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 5,447

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Pink Klein MTB, Phil Wood VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), Cilo Road Frame, Proteus frame

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 71 Posts
No but they look like either IS or Post mount calipers. It probably weighs quite a bit and is certainly full of cheap parts. The price they list is a fake price they made up to make it feel like you are getting some sort of great deal. Also good to keep in mind if you are expecting this to be a Motobecane it is not, they bought the name to give the bike some prestige that doesn't exist.
veganbikes is offline  
Old 02-16-20, 06:28 PM
  #3  
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!
 
AlmostTrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Looney Tunes, IL
Posts: 6,743

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1224 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 178 Posts
Looks like a decent bike and deal to me. You're not gonna find anything better (new) at that price. If I were looking for that type of bike I certainly wouldn't hesitate to get it. Go for it and give us a review!
AlmostTrick is offline  
Old 02-16-20, 07:53 PM
  #4  
Trakhak
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 1,854
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 55 Posts
veganbikes being a current bike shop guy, his campaign against Bikes Direct is understandable. That said, I worked in bike shops for 15 years (including a shop where I sold Motobecanes in the 1970s), and I miss bike employee discount pricing, so I've bought two $1,000+ Bikes Direct Motobecanes. Both are great bikes. Buying from Bikes Direct is as close as you can get to buying at bike store employee pricing.
Trakhak is offline  
Old 02-16-20, 09:00 PM
  #5  
seau grateau
Senior Member
 
seau grateau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: PHL
Posts: 9,799

Bikes: Litespeed, IRO

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1265 Post(s)
Liked 188 Times in 106 Posts
I'll put the over-under at 25 pounds. My money is on over.
seau grateau is offline  
Old 02-17-20, 09:30 PM
  #6  
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 5,447

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Pink Klein MTB, Phil Wood VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), Cilo Road Frame, Proteus frame

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 71 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak View Post
veganbikes being a current bike shop guy, his campaign against Bikes Direct is understandable. That said, I worked in bike shops for 15 years (including a shop where I sold Motobecanes in the 1970s), and I miss bike employee discount pricing, so I've bought two $1,000+ Bikes Direct Motobecanes. Both are great bikes. Buying from Bikes Direct is as close as you can get to buying at bike store employee pricing.
Yes but Motobecane in the 70s was an actual real company making some really solid bikes that are worth something. Bikes Direct is a name they took to put on cheap stuff and sell it at what you think are good prices because they say everything in on sale compared to finding this elsewhere unfortunately they are the ones who sell the name Motobecane and nobody else so they are not really on sale. It is a trick to get you to buy something. If I have an item that is permanently on sale and I show it as 28% off all the time, it isn't really on sale I am just basically scamming you into thinking it is on sale rather than just being honest. At least with employee pricing I am getting a true discount mainly because I sell their product and in some cases sell a lot of their product.

Sometimes yes a bikes direct bike might have a few nice parts on it and they can certainly undercut people but you don't get to test ride anything and you either have to know how to build it yourself or pay someone to do it and I don't know if they have any warranty but you can be damn sure you will have no support through it and will have to go at them alone which ain't a lot of fun (I am a warranty manager, I know). Plus you won't really get support from the shop when you have issues. They will likely be willing to fix it but it won't be a free tune up or warrantied work because you chose to support the internet instead of the bike shop.
veganbikes is offline  
Old 02-18-20, 05:00 AM
  #7  
Lazyass
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 8,275

Bikes: Vintage steel, aluminum, modern carbon disc, single speed, MTB's, the works

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1977 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 28 Posts
It has a butted chromoly frame AND fork, so for $399 it's not a bad deal. Obviously it's not going to be light but most of the pigness will be in the cheap wheels. Some of those BD models are the exact same bike as one from a major brand, just rebranded. The Windsor Tourist is a rebranded older model Fuji Touring. Take that Fantom Cross at that price and call it a Fuji then everyone would say what a great deal it is.
Lazyass is offline  
Old 02-18-20, 09:10 AM
  #8  
TugaDude
Senior Member
 
TugaDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,149
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 47 Posts
It would be good to find someone that has actually purchased one to speak authoritatively about it. Most of us are very familiar with the "typical" 4130 chromoly frame and can form an opinion but nothing substitutes for having one and riding it.
Having said that, I tend to agree with Veganbikes and would recommend shying away from online dealers if you can. I am not singling anyone out. Buying local keeps the shops open, employs local people and gives you a place to go for support.
You cannot underestimate the value in that. Some things are worth paying a little more for.
I also agree that inflated MSRPs and "sales" tend to get old. How about just listing the bike and the price and letting the consumer decide if it is a deal or not?

There are some that don't have a local shop they can depend on, or don't see a value in supporting one. I guess in that case, let the buyer beware. Do your research and roll the dice.
TugaDude is offline  
Old 02-18-20, 02:16 PM
  #9  
zsir
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TugaDude View Post
Most of us are very familiar with the "typical" 4130 chromoly frame and can form an opinion

.Do your research and roll the dice.

What is your opinion of the 4130 chrmo frames? I bought the Dawes SS bike with chromo frame/fork from BD for $209...The bike weighs 24lbs takes a 32C tire. Once I dialed it in, it rolls real nice, turns easy and rides lighter than it's 24 pounds. I'm considering the Fantom beacuse it's chromo, SS, disc brake and takes a wide tire....I'm guessing it has a 120mm rear drop out, I'd like to see how the caliper mounts. I'm down with supporting local bike shops. I can only imagine what a though business model that must be, but truth be told I work on my own bikes and I'm not to concerned with warranties on one of these low end bikes especially the parts on it.
zsir is offline  
Old 02-18-20, 02:25 PM
  #10  
TugaDude
Senior Member
 
TugaDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,149
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by zsir View Post
What is your opinion of the 4130 chrmo frames? I bought the Dawes SS bike with chromo frame/fork from BD for $209...The bike weighs 24lbs takes a 32C tire. Once I dialed it in, it rolls real nice, turns easy and rides lighter than it's 24 pounds. I'm considering the Fantom beacuse it's chromo, SS, disc brake and takes a wide tire....I'm guessing it has a 120mm rear drop out, I'd like to see how the caliper mounts. I'm down with supporting local bike shops. I can only imagine what a though business model that must be, but truth be told I work on my own bikes and I'm not to concerned with warranties on one of these low end bikes especially the parts on it.
I have to be honest and say that for the price, it is probably a very good deal. The frame says it is custom butted and tapered. So we know it is not straight-gauge tubing and is likely reasonably light. I don't know where else you could possibly get a bike that meets all of the criteria, disc brakes, wide tires, etc. for that money. And if you don't need the support of a local bike dealer, I wouldn't blame you for taking the plunge. If I were in the market, that one would be getting serious attention. If you do buy it, make sure to report back please.

Regarding the wheel spacing, it is anybody's guess. You could reach out to them and ask.
TugaDude is offline  
Old 02-19-20, 11:22 AM
  #11  
seau grateau
Senior Member
 
seau grateau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: PHL
Posts: 9,799

Bikes: Litespeed, IRO

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1265 Post(s)
Liked 188 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes View Post
Yes but Motobecane in the 70s was an actual real company making some really solid bikes that are worth something. Bikes Direct is a name they took to put on cheap stuff and sell it at what you think are good prices because they say everything in on sale compared to finding this elsewhere unfortunately they are the ones who sell the name Motobecane and nobody else so they are not really on sale. It is a trick to get you to buy something. If I have an item that is permanently on sale and I show it as 28% off all the time, it isn't really on sale I am just basically scamming you into thinking it is on sale rather than just being honest. At least with employee pricing I am getting a true discount mainly because I sell their product and in some cases sell a lot of their product.

Sometimes yes a bikes direct bike might have a few nice parts on it and they can certainly undercut people but you don't get to test ride anything and you either have to know how to build it yourself or pay someone to do it and I don't know if they have any warranty but you can be damn sure you will have no support through it and will have to go at them alone which ain't a lot of fun (I am a warranty manager, I know). Plus you won't really get support from the shop when you have issues. They will likely be willing to fix it but it won't be a free tune up or warrantied work because you chose to support the internet instead of the bike shop.
This is all important for consumers to know and BD is very nontransparent about it. When it comes to lower priced mail-order stuff, it seems like Planet X is starting to solidify as a good option, depending on shipping cost out of the UK. They don't really hit the steel or cheap single speed bracket, but they seem to have some really decent stuff. Company is now employee owned as well apparently.
seau grateau is offline  
Likes For seau grateau:
Old 02-19-20, 02:32 PM
  #12  
onyerleft
Senior Member
 
onyerleft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 408

Bikes: All of your bicycles are belong to me

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
I've had good luck with about eight BD/BikeIsland purchases, and I love my KiloTT, so I'm anything but a BD hater. But this Fantom Cross Uno is just so wrong in so many ways. I'm not going to go into detail - either you immediately get it, or you don't.
onyerleft is offline  
Old 02-19-20, 02:41 PM
  #13  
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!
 
AlmostTrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Looney Tunes, IL
Posts: 6,743

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1224 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 178 Posts
Originally Posted by onyerleft View Post
But this Fantom Cross Uno is just so wrong in so many ways. I'm not going to go into detail - either you immediately get it, or you don't.
It sounds to me like you got nothin'.
AlmostTrick is offline  
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 02-19-20, 10:08 PM
  #14  
phobus
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: South FL
Posts: 308
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 22 Posts
If the Kilo TT is a Steamroller copy, this is just a Nature Boy copy but with fork zits to make it an easy target for bicyclepubes.
phobus is offline  
Old 02-20-20, 04:00 PM
  #15  
onyerleft
Senior Member
 
onyerleft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 408

Bikes: All of your bicycles are belong to me

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick View Post
It sounds to me like you got nothin'.
It sounds to me like you're projecting.
onyerleft is offline  
Old 02-20-20, 04:01 PM
  #16  
onyerleft
Senior Member
 
onyerleft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 408

Bikes: All of your bicycles are belong to me

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by phobus View Post
If the Kilo TT is a Steamroller copy, this is just a Nature Boy copy but with fork zits to make it an easy target for bicyclepubes.
LOL, zits is right. I wish my KiloTT didn't have seat stay braze-ons, so friggin' ugly.
onyerleft is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.