Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Tange ln 3922 bb

Old 01-28-20, 08:19 PM
  #1  
bonsai171
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,049
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Tange ln 3922 bb

Hi,

I have the Tange ln 3922 bb in my Kilo tt, and have some bearing drag in it. No idea how many miles are on it. I've done maybe 700, and then there are the miles the previous owner had on it. Is there a way to service it?

Dave
bonsai171 is offline  
Old 01-28-20, 08:57 PM
  #2  
ThermionicScott 
7-speed cultist
 
ThermionicScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CID
Posts: 19,872

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers)

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2678 Post(s)
Liked 551 Times in 397 Posts
Originally Posted by bonsai171 View Post
Hi,

I have the Tange ln 3922 bb in my Kilo tt, and have some bearing drag in it. No idea how many miles are on it. I've done maybe 700, and then there are the miles the previous owner had on it. Is there a way to service it?

Dave
How much drag? If you twist the axle by hand, you'll feel a little smooth drag in a healthy BB -- that's the seals keeping water and crap out of the bearings. It's not actually enough to slow you down.

The bearings are cartridge units. If they feel rough or make noise, they're shot. Unfortunately, that means buying a whole new BB. I have an LN-7922 that I might try to rebuild, but there's no guarantee of success with that mission.
__________________
Originally Posted by chandltp View Post
There's no such thing as too far.. just lack of time
Originally Posted by noglider
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
ThermionicScott is offline  
Old 01-28-20, 09:08 PM
  #3  
bonsai171
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,049
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott View Post
How much drag? If you twist the axle by hand, you'll feel a little smooth drag in a healthy BB -- that's the seals keeping water and crap out of the bearings. It's not actually enough to slow you down.

The bearings are cartridge units. If they feel rough or make noise, they're shot. Unfortunately, that means buying a whole new BB. I have an LN-7922 that I might try to rebuild, but there's no guarantee of success with that mission.
I'll have to take the crank arms off and check the drag. Noticed a sluggish feeling this weekend after riding a friend's fixed gear. He had 79 gi, and I have 74 gi. My bike was much harder to pedal.

If I do need to replace it, are there higher end JIS square taper brackets that would work? Maybe something a lot lighter? These are boat anchors at 300g.

Dsve
bonsai171 is offline  
Old 01-28-20, 09:17 PM
  #4  
ThermionicScott 
7-speed cultist
 
ThermionicScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CID
Posts: 19,872

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers)

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2678 Post(s)
Liked 551 Times in 397 Posts
Originally Posted by bonsai171 View Post
I'll have to take the crank arms off and check the drag. Noticed a sluggish feeling this weekend after riding a friend's fixed gear. He had 79 gi, and I have 74 gi. My bike was much harder to pedal.

If I do need to replace it, are there higher end JIS square taper brackets that would work? Maybe something a lot lighter? These are boat anchors at 300g.

Dsve
Have you tried taking off the chain and spinning the cranks first? How do the wheel bearings feel?

The Tange LN-7922 is a bit lighter than the LN-3922 thanks to a hollow spindle, mine is a 118mm but only 247g.
__________________
Originally Posted by chandltp View Post
There's no such thing as too far.. just lack of time
Originally Posted by noglider
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 01-28-20 at 09:27 PM.
ThermionicScott is offline  
Old 01-28-20, 10:04 PM
  #5  
bonsai171
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,049
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott View Post
Have you tried taking off the chain and spinning the cranks first? How do the wheel bearings feel?

The Tange LN-7922 is a bit lighter than the LN-3922 thanks to a hollow spindle, mine is a 118mm but only 247g.
I took the chain off, and spun the crankset. It spins very freely, and there is no noticable drag whatsoever. The bb bearings feel very smooth, and there was no play.

Maybe what I'm seeing is the difference between a mid-range bottom bracket, and my friend's Dura Ace bb and crankset? If so, the difference is HUGE!

Dave
bonsai171 is offline  
Old 01-28-20, 10:22 PM
  #6  
ThermionicScott 
7-speed cultist
 
ThermionicScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CID
Posts: 19,872

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers)

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2678 Post(s)
Liked 551 Times in 397 Posts
Originally Posted by bonsai171 View Post
I took the chain off, and spun the crankset. It spins very freely, and there is no noticable drag whatsoever. The bb bearings feel very smooth, and there was no play.

Maybe what I'm seeing is the difference between a mid-range bottom bracket, and my friend's Dura Ace bb and crankset? If so, the difference is HUGE!

Dave
If your friend's DA is loose-ball, it probably will spin a little freer. The flip-side to that is you would need to clean, re-grease, and adjust it on a regular basis to keep it from wearing out.

But if your crank also spins freely with no play, that makes me think something else on your bike is slowing you down.
__________________
Originally Posted by chandltp View Post
There's no such thing as too far.. just lack of time
Originally Posted by noglider
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
ThermionicScott is offline  
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 01-29-20, 02:47 AM
  #7  
Senrab62
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 322
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott View Post
If your friend's DA is loose-ball, it probably will spin a little freer. The flip-side to that is you would need to clean, re-grease, and adjust it on a regular basis to keep it from wearing out.

But if your crank also spins freely with no play, that makes me think something else on your bike is slowing you down.
This. Check your chain tension. Likely too tight.
Senrab62 is offline  
Old 01-29-20, 06:25 PM
  #8  
bonsai171
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,049
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
as far as I can tell, the chain is ok. Got about 1/2" of chain deflection when I push down on it.
bonsai171 is offline  
Old 01-29-20, 06:42 PM
  #9  
seau grateau
Senior Member
 
seau grateau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: PHL
Posts: 9,799

Bikes: Litespeed, IRO

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1265 Post(s)
Liked 188 Times in 106 Posts
That sluggish feeling is likely due to any number of other things.
seau grateau is offline  
Old 01-29-20, 08:16 PM
  #10  
Scrodzilla
See you in Hell.
 
Scrodzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: South of Heaven
Posts: 25,960

Bikes: EAI Bare Knuckle, Dolan DB3 Prototype

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by seau grateau View Post
That sluggish feeling is likely due to any number of other things.
I concur.

Try the Metamucil Two-Week Challenge.
Scrodzilla is offline  
Likes For Scrodzilla:
Old 01-29-20, 10:44 PM
  #11  
bonsai171
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,049
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
I concur.

Try the Metamucil Two-Week Challenge.
lol. Maybe the crappy Sugino vp130 crankset?

Wheels are pretty nice, H plus son archetypes with Gran compe hubs. Those are pretty new, doubt they're the problem.
bonsai171 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.