Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tubeless Tire Recommendations

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-16, 10:21 AM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

So I just jumped on the Boyd Black Friday deal and think I'll be switching to tubeless for the first time. My problem is I've never studied the various models of tubeless tires. I'm not a super high mileage rider, and all road or MUP. Club rides of 40-60 miles and a few centuries a year. My area does get goat heads, so there's that. I've always either GP4KII or Michelin Pro4 Endurance. What models should I be looking at?

I can't believe this topic hasn't been covered to death, but the search hamster brings up no results. If there is a thread that I missed, please post a link and I'll gladly go reading. Thanks.
Old 11-27-16, 10:52 AM
dalava

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Tubeless tires are still slim picking, after all these year. You basically have these choice:

- Hutchinson tires: they have several models with different weight and puncture protection features. They are ok.
- Schwalbe: they make probably the best daily fast tubeless tires, the Pro One. Not great in term of longevity, but they are light and fast.
- Vittoria: they only have one model, the Corse Speed G+. They are FAST and LIGHT, but have puncture protection of thick paper. I would only recommend them for race on good road only
- Maxxis: they make a model called Padrone. They are ok, not too heavy, with good traction and reasonably fast; but mounting them will take herculean efforts. I don't think they are worth the trouble.
Old 11-27-16, 11:03 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18422 Post(s)
Liked 15,570 Times in 7,335 Posts
Currently running Specialized Roubaix tubeless at the recommendation of my frame builder. Like them a lot. Very zippy. They have the width of a 23c tire but the height of a 25c tire. A bit lighter and less expensive than the Hutchinson Intensive II tires I had previously.

Not sure if Schwalbe still makes the One (not the Pro One).
Old 11-27-16, 11:31 AM
Old_Roadie

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Roubaix Pro - Ultegra Drive train - Dura Ave 7900 C24 TLs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Schwalbe One Tubeless

I like the Schwalbe One Tubeless. They seal very well and I am able to run these tires without sealant. I have used sealant and I don't miss it.
They roll well, I average 5K miles on the front, 3.5K miles on the rear.

This is the best price I have found.
Tyre Schwalbe One Tubeless - 700 x 23 - XXcycle - en

Schwalbe also has a newer tire, the Pro One tubeless. I am running this tire on the front without sealant. 400 miles and so far so good. IMO a race tire. Not sure they will be as durable especially on the rear.

Schwalbe Pro One HS462 Evolution Line 28' Tubeless Tire - 23/622 - XXcycle - en

I use a Kool Stop Tire Bead Jack to mount then, especially the first time. I have been able to remount them just by hand.
i have been able to get both the pro and the pro one tires to seal using a Joe Blow sport pump
I would also suggest looking into this tool
https://www.amazon.com/Kool-Stop-Tir.../dp/B001AYML7K

Amazingly I have had only one flat in over 6,100 miles without using sealant, and that was a very large sidewall cut that would not have sealed with sealant.
Old 11-27-16, 11:35 AM
BenPS
will stop for donuts

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the Schwalbe Pro One the best, been running the 25s on 19mm internal rims with sealant, and have had 2 sets and really enjoyed them. Got around 2000 miles out of a set with regular riding.

Bontrager R3 TLR is my second favorite, they come in a 24mm and 26mm
Old 11-27-16, 11:35 AM
Old_Roadie

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Roubaix Pro - Ultegra Drive train - Dura Ave 7900 C24 TLs

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Currently running Specialized Roubaix tubeless at the recommendation of my frame builder. Like them a lot. Very zippy. They have the width of a 23c tire but the height of a 25c tire. A bit lighter and less expensive than the Hutchinson Intensive II tires I had previously.

Not sure if Schwalbe still makes the One (not the Pro One).
I would like to try the Specialized tire, but I have not been able to find them at a resonable price.
Any suggestions on where to get them at a reasonable cost?

Thanks
Old 11-27-16, 12:00 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Old_Roadie
I would like to try the Specialized tire, but I have not been able to find them at a resonable price.

Thanks
I believe that Specialized sometimes does a 2 for 1 sale on tires, the trick is watching the LBS. Specialized is VERY controlling on price/availability, so your local Spesh dealer is your best option.

I've been very happy with the original Schwalbe One. I've got a Pro One sitting on a shelf waiting to try it. The original One had similar wear to a Michelin Pro3 Race (I get ~3k mi for a rear, with mostly climbing).

Don't bother with Hutchinson. I went from a Fusion3 to a Schwalbe One, and the One was better is every respect (rolling resistance, flat protection, wear, traction).
Old 11-27-16, 06:16 PM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Schwalbe One Folding Tyre Twinpack - Folding Tyres - Ribble Cycles

I'm assuming these are NOT tubeless?
Old 11-27-16, 06:31 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,713 Times in 1,034 Posts
I've only run Schwalbe tubeless-- One, Pro One, and S-One-- but would note the IRC Roadlite and Vee Apache Chief may be worth looking into for the OP.

I would not recommend Pro One's or any of the new Microskin-cased Schwalbe's for the OP, just because I find them a little fussy, a little fragile, a little short-wearing and so just not a good place to jump into tubeless road.

I have friends who ride Bontrager R3 and R4, both love them, one of them swearing it's the best tire ever, and was his choice for last year's Tour of California Race Experience ride.

Anyway, it sounds like Roubaix Tubeless would be a good a choice
Old 11-27-16, 06:34 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,713 Times in 1,034 Posts
Originally Posted by PhotoJoe
Correct, those are NOT tubeless; there are both regular clincher, tubular, and tubeless One version, so it must be specified as Tubeless.

The One Tubeless has been discontinued-- unfortunately, IMO; I'd go back to One from P1 at this point, especially if One could cost a bit less-- so you'll be limited to finding old stock items.
Old 11-28-16, 12:08 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
So I just jumped on the Boyd Black Friday deal and think I'll be switching to tubeless for the first time. My problem is I've never studied the various models of tubeless tires. I'm not a super high mileage rider, and all road or MUP. Club rides of 40-60 miles and a few centuries a year. My area does get goat heads, so there's that. I've always either GP4KII or Michelin Pro4 Endurance. What models should I be looking at?

I can't believe this topic hasn't been covered to death, but the search hamster brings up no results. If there is a thread that I missed, please post a link and I'll gladly go reading. Thanks.
I use IRC Roadlites and recently got my first flat in at least 10k miles using them. I even had a goathead imbedded in one of the tires on my TT bike- it had broken off flush with the tire surface. The flat had sealed and the thorn was only noticed when we replaced the tires.

My recent flat occurred because the sealant had dried up after 6 months. Ironically 4 days after I asked Mr. H to please top off my sealant. After my flat, riding home in the SAG wagon, I asked him if he had in fact added sealant. Lol, his response was that "he'd have to check his records". Aka "no, I forgot".

I ride in the dark so much that I ride over stuff all the time- I never see it until I'm on top of it. Even riding the 126- no flats!

CBS Cycling carries the tires (in fact because I had them mount a set after they did a tubeless conversion, they were impressed by how easy the tires are to work with, and decided to start stocking them). I get a club discount at CBS but their price is really good on these tires, it's not even worth me ordering them online. If you decide to swing by, note CBS moved a few weeks ago. Still on Lyons but now next to the cupcake place, Cake Goodness.
Old 11-28-16, 07:07 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18422 Post(s)
Liked 15,570 Times in 7,335 Posts
Originally Posted by Old_Roadie

Thanks
Good luck finding them for substantially less than about $90. Tubeless tires are expensive.
Old 11-28-16, 07:57 AM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack
I use IRC Roadlites .....CBS moved a few weeks ago. Still on Lyons but now next to the cupcake place, Cake Goodness.
Thank you. I really appreciate the insights. I wanted to join in on your ride yesterday, but I wimped out when the water started falling from the sky again. And I'm liking the new location. New tires AND cupcakes!
Old 11-28-16, 09:08 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Thank you. I really appreciate the insights. I wanted to join in on your ride yesterday, but I wimped out when the water started falling from the sky again. And I'm liking the new location. New tires AND cupcakes!
I got rained on riding to the meet-up but then it dried up and was pretty ok, just cold! Wish you had made it. I was worried that setting up a bike path ride on a Sunday afternoon might have been a mistake but there was no one out- too cold I guess. The paths were empty!

Next time.
Old 11-28-16, 09:43 AM
UnfilteredDregs

Bikes: Salsa Ti Warbird- 2014/ November RAIL52s

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd say Schwalbe is the standard at this point. I too am a fan of the older ONE, the original. I find the Pro's to be light on the build. I do love the S-ONE though, now it's known as the "G-ONE Speed." Fantastic tire at 30mm. I was running my set as low as 45f/50r...far superior to the Pro ONE IMO and for my road conditions.

I can't say enough good things about the S-ONE...So I'll say one bad thing...they howl a bit on the rollers because of the mild tread. Annoys the crap out of my wife when she's watching the TV.

I've always found the Schwalbe ONE, both original and Pro, to be a bit skittish in corners, the only exception being the S-ONE/G-ONE Speed... The Hutchinson Sectors I used for a while were quite sticky in a very good way, and easily as excellent as the S-ONE in corners, but they cut easily and for me were prone to sidewall slashings.

I have yet to try other 700c tubeless, and since I'm now moving onto a 650b 40mm+ format my tire choices are a different spectrum at this point.

Edit: Ooops...The Schwalbe site can be confusing to say the least...apparently the S-ONE is still their 30mm tubeless tire, the G-ONE Speed is a balloon at 60mm...

Last edited by UnfilteredDregs; 11-28-16 at 09:47 AM.
Old 11-28-16, 10:26 AM
Fldaves

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Through a recommendation from the wheel company I purchased my wheel set from I'm going with the IRC RBCC.
Old 11-28-16, 10:32 AM
beatlebee 

Bikes: i may have bike(s)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tried a bunch including Shwalbe but go with IRCs now.
Old 11-28-16, 10:45 AM
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar

Bikes: '15 LeMond Washoe custom painted, '06 LeMond Croix de fer custom painted, '18 Specialized Crux

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by dalava
Tubeless tires are still slim picking, after all these year. You basically have these choice:

- Hutchinson tires: they have several models with different weight and puncture protection features. They are ok.
- Schwalbe: they make probably the best daily fast tubeless tires, the Pro One. Not great in term of longevity, but they are light and fast.
- Vittoria: they only have one model, the Corse Speed G+. They are FAST and LIGHT, but have puncture protection of thick paper. I would only recommend them for race on good road only
- Maxxis: they make a model called Padrone. They are ok, not too heavy, with good traction and reasonably fast; but mounting them will take herculean efforts. I don't think they are worth the trouble.

Re: Vittoria Corsa Speed G+, is your opinion based on first-hand experience with the tire? I ask only because I'm currently on Pro Ones and was considering Vittorias next, so I'd be interested in hearing more of your experience with them (if applicable).
Old 11-28-16, 10:50 AM
bmc11

Bikes: BMC SR02

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So what did you decide on bud? I got some mercurys coming in this week and think I wanna go tubeless too
Old 11-28-16, 11:04 AM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bmc11
So what did you decide on bud? I got some mercurys coming in this week and think I wanna go tubeless too

I'm torn between the IRC Roadlite's from Heathpack's suggestion and experience and the Schwalbe Pro One. The only reason I'd look at the Pro One right now is the price at Wiggle. I spent more on the wheelset than I should have (or needed), plus Christmas and all that. I'm going to mount up my old Pro4 Endurances at first, though. I want an apples-to-apples comparison of the old and new wheelset. THEN I'll go with the tubeless. I'm enjoying all the input, and the reading that it creates for me. It's a whole world I've never paid attention to.

Please let me know what direction you go, too.
Old 11-28-16, 03:22 PM
bmc11

Bikes: BMC SR02

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm torn between the IRC Roadlite's from Heathpack's suggestion and experience and the Schwalbe Pro One. The only reason I'd look at the Pro One right now is the price at Wiggle. I spent more on the wheelset than I should have (or needed), plus Christmas and all that. I'm going to mount up my old Pro4 Endurances at first, though. I want an apples-to-apples comparison of the old and new wheelset. THEN I'll go with the tubeless. I'm enjoying all the input, and the reading that it creates for me. It's a whole world I've never paid attention to.

Please let me know what direction you go, too.
Yea I def didn't need to spend so much on wheels so might just go the same route as you ... throw my Grand Prixs on for December and I'll most likely go with pro ones in Jan.
Old 11-28-16, 04:04 PM
BigPoser

Bikes: BAHL Giro, BAHL Uno, BAHL GVL, Cuevas

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
I am currently using Bontrager R2 for winter and they are amazing! We have a lot of goat heads as well and they are one of the reasons I switched to tubeless. I couldn't be happier. The R2 seal very well and I don't even need to use sealant, but do. I also rarely have to put any air in the tires. Just got back from vacation for two weeks and tires only lost 6-8lbs. They are great!

I will say that they are a pain to install for the first time. After they have been on though, the second go'round is much easier. I will be switching to R3's when racing season comes next year as they are lighter.

I'm sold.

I've also heard very good things from IRC as well.
Old 11-28-16, 05:05 PM
dalava

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RNAV
Re: Vittoria Corsa Speed G+, is your opinion based on first-hand experience with the tire? I ask only because I'm currently on Pro Ones and was considering Vittorias next, so I'd be interested in hearing more of your experience with them (if applicable).
Yes, unfortunately. I installed them on a set of race wheels and did a few test rides with them. Flatted both, with a big cut on the rear that's irreparable. The roads I rode on were not exactly strewn with debris or anything, normal wide suburban roads. I am so skittish about them now that I won't even race on them for triathlon, which was the purpose. I think I am going to get some regular clincher version of the Corse G+ instead. I am a believer of these tires, and they are really faster.
Old 11-29-16, 07:46 AM
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar

Bikes: '15 LeMond Washoe custom painted, '06 LeMond Croix de fer custom painted, '18 Specialized Crux

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by dalava
Yes, unfortunately. I installed them on a set of race wheels and did a few test rides with them. Flatted both, with a big cut on the rear that's irreparable. The roads I rode on were not exactly strewn with debris or anything, normal wide suburban roads. I am so skittish about them now that I won't even race on them for triathlon, which was the purpose. I think I am going to get some regular clincher version of the Corse G+ instead. I am a believer of these tires, and they are really faster.

That is definitely not confidence-inspiring! Thanks for sharing . . . I think I'll still with Pro Ones for the time being.
Old 11-29-16, 03:35 PM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Another vote for the Schwabe Pro1s. I'm running those on non tubeless ENVE 3.4s and they're working out great, hold air well, and seem to be wearing fairly normal compared to GP4000s.

I'm also running Clement Strada USH Tubeless on my commuter/adventure/gravel bike and while they're a bit beefy (and wide) for a dedicated road bike, they're working out fantastic on the Mr. Pink.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.