Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Road shoes for SPD

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Road shoes for SPD

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-18, 09:43 PM
Robert A

Bikes: 2019 CAAD12, 2015 Specialized Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 46 Posts
Road shoes for SPD

I'm looking for road shoes for SPD cleats. My feet are a little wide. Recommendations/advice appreciated.
Old 10-21-18, 09:58 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
My feet are also wide and I'm also diabetic so shoes fitting properly are a priority. Sidi and Specialized make wide shoes but are a bit expensive. I have found Giro to fit as well as most Shimano. I personally would never buy shoes on-line. I need to try them on to be sure. Good luck.
Old 10-21-18, 10:51 PM
Robert A

Yes, but are there shoes for the road that accept SPD recessed cleats?
Originally Posted by MAK
My feet are also wide and I'm also diabetic so shoes fitting properly are a priority. Sidi and Specialized make wide shoes but are a bit expensive. I have found Giro to fit as well as most Shimano. I personally would never buy shoes on-line. I need to try them on to be sure. Good luck.
Old 10-21-18, 10:56 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Wellgo Adapter Cleats

There are plenty of "adapter cleats" out there, some of which even have tread blocks so you're not walking on the cleat. You can run either type of cleat with a 3-bolt road shoe.

But if you have 2-bolt pedals, just buy two bolt shoes. Most mfrs. make identical Road and MTB versions of their shoes-- Giro does for sure, as do Diadora.
Old 10-22-18, 05:08 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
There's many, even Shimano makes them. But I can tell you from experience that trying to clip in with an SPD cleat on a flat soled road shoe sucks bad. It's very hard to engage the cleat, your shoe slides all over the pedal. MTB or road shoes with a tread are good because the tread actually helps guide the cleat in. You don't notice it does that until you try to do it without a tread. Not to mention that walking even a few feet sucks with that tiny little cleat sticking down. I recommend you don't waste your time.

It sucked so bad I bought the thingies in the pic below. It makes walking sligthly better, but it's no easier to clip in and I ended up destroying them in no time at all because they get torn up when you're sliding your shoe around trying to engage the cleat.

Old 10-22-18, 05:21 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 246 Posts
I have a pair of Mavic Touring shoes. They have the "look" of Road shoes but the sole is recessed enough that you're not walking on the cleats.
I use the same shoes for my Road and MTB bikes. I'm not a hard-core rider.....
Old 10-22-18, 07:28 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,087 Times in 1,182 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
There's many, even Shimano makes them. But I can tell you from experience that trying to clip in with an SPD cleat on a flat soled road shoe sucks bad. It's very hard to engage the cleat, your shoe slides all over the pedal. MTB or road shoes with a tread are good because the tread actually helps guide the cleat in. You don't notice it does that until you try to do it without a tread. Not to mention that walking even a few feet sucks with that tiny little cleat sticking down. I recommend you don't waste your time.

It sucked so bad I bought the thingies in the pic below. It makes walking sligthly better, but it's no easier to clip in and I ended up destroying them in no time at all because they get torn up when you're sliding your shoe around trying to engage the cleat.

Lazyass has this correct. There's no good reason to go to a hard soled road shoe for use with SPD cleats. There are ton's of low profile mt. style shoes using SPD,
Old 10-22-18, 11:50 AM
Silver Steve

Bikes: 2106 Giant TCR / 2021 HUFFY Gravel Bike

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 15 Posts
I have been using the Specialized S-Works 6 XC on my road bike. The regular width (they also come in a wide width) is much wider than my old Sidis. The uppers and the super stiff carbon sole are the same as the road version.

Old 10-23-18, 07:28 AM
mercator
In the wind

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Team, Lemond Buenos Aires, Giant TCX, Miyata 1000LT

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 54 Posts
If you are going to use SPD cleats, you might as well use MTB shoes. The difference in weight/aero is negligible and you can get equally stiff soles.
When I tour, I wear Sidi dominators with Shimano A520 pedals. The connection is maybe not as planted as my normal SPD-SL cleats but it's a lot easier to walk around.
Old 10-23-18, 07:55 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Why anyone would wear road shoes (instead of mtb/SPD) is a mystery to me. I'd rather walk down stairs in ski boots than road shoes.
Old 10-23-18, 09:16 AM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert A
There's a lot of people who use spd recessed cleats on the road (2 bolt) but they use 2 bolt shoes.

Why are you thinking of trying to put 2 bolt cleats onto a 3 bolt shoe? It's basically the worst of both worlds...you lose the walkability of 2 bolt shoes, and you don't gain anything. I've say 50% or more of people biking on the road with clipless use 2 bolt pedals, cleats, and shoes. That's very common. Trying to wedge 2 bolt cleats onto a 3 bolt shoe is very uncommon.
Old 10-23-18, 09:36 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
There are many manufactures (such as Shimano) that make essentially the same shoe in 2-bolt and 3-bolt styles. The 2-bolt version usually has the advantage that you can walk around with them easier, but with none of the 'disadvantages' (eg flexibility) of a mountain shoe.

I ride with 2-bolt shoes primarily so I don't re-injure myself by slipping and falling when off the bike. On the bike, there might be a tiny weight penalty, but I would not notice.
Old 10-23-18, 09:38 AM
Robert A

I was never interested in the idea of cleats that weren't recessed. When I referred to road shoes in the OP, I was hoping there were shoes specifically designed for road use where the cleats would be fully recessed.
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
There's a lot of people who use spd recessed cleats on the road (2 bolt) but they use 2 bolt shoes.

Why are you thinking of trying to put 2 bolt cleats onto a 3 bolt shoe? It's basically the worst of both worlds...you lose the walkability of 2 bolt shoes, and you don't gain anything. I've say 50% or more of people biking on the road with clipless use 2 bolt pedals, cleats, and shoes. That's very common. Trying to wedge 2 bolt cleats onto a 3 bolt shoe is very uncommon.
Old 10-23-18, 09:40 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
There are many manufactures (such as Shimano) that make essentially the same shoe in 2-bolt and 3-bolt styles.
+1

As an example, Sidi Dominator two bolt MTB shoes and Genius three bolt road shoes are otherwise identical.

-Tim-
Old 10-23-18, 09:47 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
I'm looking for road shoes for SPD cleats. My feet are a little wide. Recommendations/advice appreciated.
Sidi makes different versions of the same shoe. Sidi Wire for 3 bolt cleats and Sidi Drako for 2 bolt SPD. They both come in wide. Some Shimano shoes come with both 3 and 2-bolt holes.
If you only have a 3 bolt and want to use SPD and be able to walk in them, you can use the Sidi SPD adapter plate

I use the Sidi adapter plate for all of my 3-bolt shoes. I tried the Shimano SM SH-41 and did not like them. There is no room for adjustment.

The Shimano SM-SH-40 is only for adding stable walkability to SPD cleats that are exposed.
Old 10-23-18, 09:56 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
These use recessed cleats, but skip the mtn bike styling.

https://www.giro.com/us_en/products/...c-lx-r-24.html
Old 10-23-18, 10:26 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
I was never interested in the idea of cleats that weren't recessed. When I referred to road shoes in the OP, I was hoping there were shoes specifically designed for road use where the cleats would be fully recessed.
They are just cycling shoes with different bolt patterns and tread designs. Marketing folks are brilliant in making people believe that SPD shoes with treads should not be used for the road.
Old 10-23-18, 10:48 AM
PaulRivers

I think 2 bolt or "mountain" shoes are what you're looking for then. I'd say > 50% of the people riding clipless on the road are riding 2 bolt clipless because they're easier to walk in, they're much better at avoiding getting jammed up if you step in dirt/mud, and they're easier to clip in and out of (2 sided pedals). Without any real drawbacks. A lot of times they're actually the same shoe just punch differently for different cleats and tread on the bottom.

"road" pedals is just a marketing term. They're harder to walk around in, they don't handle stepping in dirt/mud without jamming themselves up well, and most are one sided. (Speedplay are an exception being 2 sided). The only advantage they may have over "mountain" bikes is that they're might secure your foot on the pedal a bit better in situations where you're sprinting wildly all out flailing around. Otherwise they're the same as "mountain" pedals for road riding.

If you're looking to avoid the clicking and clacking, time atac's and crank brothers pedals have a reputation for being a hair more recessed than spd's.

All that being said...I've used almost every clipless system, went back to flats, and prefer flats. Clipless is a good system for what it's designed for (keeping your foot solidly attached to the pedal). But the "faster" idea is generally a myth- they've done studies on racers in the lab and they're not faster with clipless. There is an argument clipless is faster in niche but important-in-racing scenarios like all out sprinting...but I'm not racing. After trying out almost every clipless system I found flats made riding a lot more enjoyable for me. No more hassle with remembering to bring 2 pairs of shoes, no more hassles with changing shoes more than once (I often wear my flat bike shoes the rest of the day), no more walking into a restaurant slipping around on the floor. No more hassles with slippery floors or small mental concern I'll put the cleated shoe down on a slippery surface and go over (like painted lines on the road). With flats my feet feel a lot better and stopped getting hotspots (though that might not apply to everyone). On my first attempt I had a bit of an issue with my feet slipping around on flats, but I bought Five Ten flat bike shoes and they're as grippy as clipless when pushing down, forward, or back (they use a special kind of rubber that's stickier on metal pins).

Flat Shoes - https://www.adidasoutdoor.com/five-ten-freerider-mountain-bike-shoe/FT07.html?dwvar_FT07_color=Black&cgid=fiveten-men-bike-shoes
Flat Pedals - https://www.dmrbikes.com/Catalogue/P...lt-2/Vault-NEW

Clipless is a good system, but if your experience was like mine was you might also prefer flats with good pedals and good shoes. If you go with clipless, from your description, 2 bolt shoes is what you'd want.

Last edited by PaulRivers; 10-23-18 at 11:04 AM.
Old 10-23-18, 11:00 AM
grahamtillotson

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
OK so a related comment/question on this thread being a guy who, after years and years of riding, recently woke up to the wonder of clipless pedals. I picked up two pairs of used road shoes from Working Bikes in Chicago (one Lake, the other Pearl Izumi) and both had slots for the SPD cleats but no hardware in the shoe for SPD -- only for the road cleats. Both shoes had cutout flaps in the foot bed that seemed to say "well, I guess you are that guy who's going to bust in here and try to put in some SPD hardware, so we made a few initial cuts for you but good luck. Get creative!"

That is what I did for both pair, and it took some grinding and filing to get the SPD screw plates to fit in and work. This is the part that confused me -- the slots are there for SPD, the sort-of cut outs are there to access the sole from the inside, but it takes a bit of work to get the SPD cleats in place.

Is this how the shoes are designed, to allow for SPD cleats, just not in an easy way?

Thanks!
Graham
Old 10-23-18, 11:06 AM
PaulRivers

Originally Posted by tagaproject6
Sidi makes different versions of the same shoe. Sidi Wire for 3 bolt cleats and Sidi Drako for 2 bolt SPD. They both come in wide. Some Shimano shoes come with both 3 and 2-bolt holes.
Thanks for posting the pics, yeah, that better illustrates it. "road" vs "mountain" is basically the same shoe just with different bolt-on points and tread.

Last edited by PaulRivers; 10-23-18 at 11:44 AM.
Old 10-24-18, 04:49 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
spinning classes?

a bit of an oxymoron, road shoes carbon /composite soles don't have recessed cleats ,
I have a pair of Shimano TO 92 shoes they dont look like a MTB shoe,
but they do have a recessed cleat TO is for Touring..

Hard sole Road Shoes took a SPD Cleats externally then a Pontoon flanked the cleat
and gave the stability needed for SPD Pedals and walking, Briefly ..

Last buyer of that combination (@LBS) was a participant of a Spinning Class..

Old 10-24-18, 04:54 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
I can say the Giro Republics work great, they clip in as easy as a MTB shoe. I have the reflective version. More road shoes should be like this.