Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

SRM Origin Track Cranks On Sale

Old 01-17-20, 07:17 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
SRM Origin Track Cranks On Sale

On sale for $1,100.00 on the SRM website. Aluminum crank arms only, I think.
Old 01-21-20, 09:10 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
I sent my old SRM in for service (original SRM with the removable crankarms, PC5). They offered me an Origin + refurb PC7 for $1050+shipping. It's $200 for a refurb PC7 so do the math.

I sent my cranks out 2 Wednesdays ago. I should be seeing the Origin soon.

I think I'm preaching to the choir but if you get a wired SRM you can send it to SRM for service. You can do:
1. Replace battery, update firmware. Battery in PC5 head as well. Typically this is $180-200 total for both pieces.
2. Upgrade to wireless. This was an option for one of my Cannondale SI SRMs. I think the upgrade was $450. Refurb PC7 $200.
3. Trade in for new crank. I did this for my other Cannondale SI SRM. I don't remember the cost but it was low, and I got a refurb PC7 with that as well. I think? when I did it it was $800 for both pieces. SI spider only, no arms.
4. Upgrade a newer SRM to rechargeable battery.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Likes For carpediemracing:
Old 01-30-20, 11:50 PM
SynergyPro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I have the alloy srm origin, they work fine and look better in real life.
quite heavy though, but that was always the case with track srm due to the reinforced (thicker and back plate attached with 12 bolts) spider.
be aware that for the track axle version you’ll need the rotor track bottom bracket as the spindle is shorter.
Old 02-01-20, 03:35 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by SynergyPro
I have the alloy srm origin, they work fine and look better in real life.
quite heavy though, but that was always the case with track srm due to the reinforced (thicker and back plate attached with 12 bolts) spider.
be aware that for the track axle version you’ll need the rotor track bottom bracket as the spindle is shorter.
Didn't know that. Is there any other bottom brackets that work with SRM track frame?
Old 02-01-20, 10:25 PM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by SynergyPro
Originally Posted by colnago62
Didn't know that. Is there any other bottom brackets that work with SRM track frame?
+1

I got the 24mm thinking the 30mm wouldn't work with my frame (BSA). It's a bit after the fact but would the 30mm have worked better? Arg.
Old 02-02-20, 01:52 PM
SynergyPro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
there are two 24mm steel spindles, one shorter Track specific which gives the correct chain line and need the rotor track bottom bracket.
then there is the 24mm road spindle which you could also use on the track crank, but will offset the chain line by (guessing... but the measurement of the spindle were on the us srm site) 4mm.

The 30mm I don’t know if there are two options, I didn’t want to bother with smaller bearings.

i got myself a nice road bb and the spindle never sat flush on the non drive side. It was rideable but I couldn’t live with it. then I researched and got a jetstream (they have awesome derailleur pulley wheels) ceramic track bottom bracket. Same shell as rotor track but with ceramic bearings.
huub wattbike fitted their rotor cups with ceramicspeed. So yes there are options as long as you use the narrow cups.
Old 02-02-20, 08:47 PM
carpediemracing 

Thanks for the reply. I'm off to get myself a BB now.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson