Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Hike and bike footwear for long distance riders?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Hike and bike footwear for long distance riders?

Old 02-13-20, 11:35 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
I really have to disagree with you on this one. Cleat bolts are notorious for loosening after initial tightening. I've been on top of mine with sone loosening over the years, but toured once with someone whose one bolt came out, and couldn't release his shoe then. We luckily found the bolt on the ground, and I was able to undo the second loose bolt somehow, but now we had the cleat in the pedal.
luckily I could borrow some pliers from a store and get it out, and was able to then reinstall the cleat to shoe, threads not too damaged luckily.
So it worked out, but with lots of luck.

I also have one cleat slightly turned askew, I've got a funny knee, so don't like the idea of repositioning it again.
I'm picky about all fine adjustments on my bike, seat height, seat position, so never want to change things once sweet spot is achieved. Long hard days in the saddle on a heavy touring bike require everything just right.

anyway, the bolt loosening factor is a real one, but yes it would be nice not to have cleats grating on rocks, I get it.
Yup.

The plastic sole of the she will deform to the shape of the cleat, then the cleat is not pressing against the sole as hard and the bolts become looser. I have generally tried to remember to tighten my cleat bolts frequently after getting a new pair of shoes, they loosen rapidly at first as the sole deforms, and annually in spring on every pair of shoes every year. Carry cleat bolts with my spare bolts, on some of my bikes I have a spare cleat bolt in an unused threaded point on the frame. Two of my bikes have a tab for a bottle dynamo which I do not use, those tabs have two M5 threded holes, in each of those bikes I have a spare cleat bolt in one of the threaded holes. And after losing a cleat bolt a couple years ago I decided to use a thread locker on my cleat bolts.

A friend of mine quit using cleated shoes for touring, switched to toe clips so he only needed one pair of shoes on a tour. Then he started having foot problems from riding for too many consecutive days with wet shoes, which meant we had to sit in a campground for a day because of his foot problems. Yeah, a second pair of shoes takes a lot of odd shaped space in the luggage, but I always bring a pair of cycle shoes AND a pair of hiking shoes. And shoe covers for rain. There have been some days when I rode with my hiking shoes for a day on the bike to dry out my wet cycling shoes.

After three days of rain on GAP and C&O, my cycling shoes finally had a day to dry out while I rode with my hiking shoes on a sunny day.

Old 02-13-20, 12:09 PM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
I wear Shimano M089L SPD shoes and they work well on and off the bike. I’ve done some hiking in them and while bit great for scrambling over rocks they are just fine for trails and walking around town. Once the riding is done for the day I take them off to air out and I wear a pair of Kung fu shoes. These take up very little room in my bags are are good for the campsite and pavements

https://www.amazon.com/BlackBeltShop.../dp/B00P8AC3HU

Last edited by nun; 02-13-20 at 12:13 PM.
Old 02-13-20, 12:27 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,298 Times in 7,231 Posts
I am still interested in the OP's experience during his tour in relatively remote areas of the world. Did what he used then not work for him? If not, why not?
Old 02-13-20, 01:44 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by boomhauer
I've been wearing these mesh type shoe.
If it rains then I take my socks off and just let the water run through.
Works good for swimming in rivers, also.
They work well in hot weather (with socks). Lots of ventilation.
I use platform pedals with those little spike things sticking out of them.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I had those and they were great for rides where a lot of pressure wasn't put on my non-platform pedals but one day when I rode 60+ kilometers (40+ miles) my feet were killing me. I switched to platform pedals = Lyotard 23 and the problem wasn't so bead. I now use an MTB shoe with a smoother sole than normal MTB shoes and used the included cleat holes cover plate. I love those stiffer sole MTB shoes on any pedals,

Cheers
Old 02-13-20, 02:40 PM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by tspoon
I use sandals on platform pedals. Like others above, I only take one pair of footwear. In the past I've used flip-flops on platforms too, when in warmer locations. My toes like to feel the breeze. In winter they like water-proof socks which are also generally nice and warm.
although I wouldn't wear flip-flops. Teva in my case. Points being (1) open shoes (socks if needed) (2) carrying additional footwear takes lots of space and adds some weight. I've once toured with Scarpa (I forget which model) in cold weather involving serious backcountry hiking.
Old 02-13-20, 08:14 PM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by gauvins
although I wouldn't wear flip-flops. Teva in my case. Points being (1) open shoes (socks if needed) (2) carrying additional footwear takes lots of space and adds some weight. I've once toured with Scarpa (I forget which model) in cold weather involving serious backcountry hiking.
A pair of kung fu shoes fold flat so they take up very little volume and they are very light too.
Old 02-13-20, 08:41 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Biking I use bike shoes, mostly use Keen Commuter 4 sandals (now discontinued) or some Serfas shoes, both of which use SPD cleats. The SPD cleats make these shoes less than ideal for hiking.

Hiking, Merrill Moab waterproof hiking shoes. If my bike shoes are soaked from rain or if I am on really rough rocky terrain with my bike, I will use the hiking shoes instead of the bike shoes on the bike.

Pedals, usually Shimano M324 or occasionally Shimano A530 pedals, both of these models have a flat platform side that I can use my hiking shoes and the other side works with cleats.
KEENs!!!

You can still get theri bike shoes (not the sandals). They are super comfortable, you can walk all day in them, they last forever and you can put SPD cleats on them. Simply nothing better. Just as comfy and well made as other Keene hiking shoes.
Old 02-14-20, 01:09 AM
boomhauer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
I had those and they were great for rides where a lot of pressure wasn't put on my non-platform pedals but one day when I rode 60+ kilometers (40+ miles) my feet were killing me. I switched to platform pedals = Lyotard 23 and the problem wasn't so bead. I now use an MTB shoe with a smoother sole than normal MTB shoes and used the included cleat holes cover plate. I love those stiffer sole MTB shoes on any pedals,

Cheers
I can see that. They are not exactly bike shoes. But......I rode them on a 5 week tour last year and two, 1 week tours, the year before. I guess I'm not very powerful and weigh about 160 lbs. Touring is not a race and I definitely use a light pressure on the pedals
As for the sand.....I guess I did wash that out of the shoes a few times but by morning the shoes were dry and ready for another day.

Last edited by boomhauer; 02-14-20 at 08:29 AM.
Old 02-14-20, 08:20 AM
Lanesplitter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
New Balance trail runners with Superfeet inserts.
I've used the same setup for most of my tours. Last year, however, used a pair of Brooks trail runners with Superfeet inserts and was extremely happy. I'll probably use Brooks again.

The reason trail runner shoes are my choice comes down to foot protection, comfort, and flexibility. Trail running shoes have a robust tread, so therefore they offer great protection for the soles of your feet. When combined with the stiff inserts, you can transfer force from your whole foot onto the pedal much better than sneakers or sandals.

For me, much of the draw of bike touring is the unique capacity to take breaks in beautiful places. I like to go on short hikes to explore. When you have good footwear, you can explore so much better, and trail running shoes are very lightweight and comfortable for how much protection they afford. They also tend to be well ventilated. Even when my shoes get soaked, they dry fairly quickly.

Last edited by Lanesplitter; 02-14-20 at 09:57 AM.
Old 02-14-20, 09:14 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by Lanesplitter
I've used the same setup for most of my tours. Last year, however, used a pair of Brooks trail runners with Superfeet inserts and was extremely happy. I'll probably use Brooks again.

The reason trail runner shoes are my choice comes down to foot protection, comfort, and flexibility. Trail running shoes have a robust tread, so therefore they offer great protection for the soles of your feet. When combined with the stiff inserts, you can transfer force from your whole foot onto the pedal much better than sneakers or sandals.

For me, much of the draw of bike touring is the taking breaks in beautiful places. I like to go on short hikes to explore. When you have good footwear, you can explore so much better, and trail running shoes are very lightweight and comfortable for how much protection they afford. They also tend to be well ventilated. Even when my shoes get soaked, they dry fairly quickly.
Ditto all the above. And I often use the bike as transportation to a trailhead. One was 120 miles from home, for a three-day hike. And I agree with the importance of ventilation in wet conditions, paradoxically.

Ever hear of "bagtex?" In cold heavy rain or snow, use bread bags as a barrier over your socks. You don't want to do that all day, for days at a time, but it's a good, light, and free tool when used judiciously.
Old 02-14-20, 09:18 AM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by nun
A pair of kung fu shoes fold flat so they take up very little volume and they are very light too.
Interesting suggestion.
Old 02-14-20, 09:47 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 955 Times in 785 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus

Ever hear of "bagtex?" In cold heavy rain or snow, use bread bags as a barrier over your socks. You don't want to do that all day, for days at a time, but it's a good, light, and free tool when used judiciously.
This is why I have used rain booties for over 20 years, no more soaked shoes to dry out, very little dampness overall, and totally worth the small space and weight they take up.... Bonus use in cold weather.
Old 02-14-20, 09:53 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
This is why I have used rain booties for over 20 years, no more soaked shoes to dry out, very little dampness overall, and totally worth the small space and weight they take up.... Bonus use in cold weather.
I used to use the plastic bag sock idea years ago when I rode to horticulture college but these days have Shimano rain booties too. Biggest problem. Always miscalculating or putting off the need to stop and put them on when rain begins so I wind up with wet shoes anyways.

No matter the degree of technology, it only works if you use it
Old 02-14-20, 10:05 AM
Lanesplitter

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
Never tried, but I will, especially in cooler times of the year. Wet feet in the summer isn't too bad, but in the fall it is. The most Important thing is to always have a supply of clean, dry socks. Even slightly damp means for feet get cold with very few ways to warm them.
Old 02-14-20, 11:52 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
I’ve had great luck with Merrill hiking shoes, and yes, they usually have those mesh tops. 👍 Strangely, they seem to have a few different grades of quality, in the same company. 🤔 Most go for miles & miles, but I’ve had a couple pair that were lemons.
Old 02-14-20, 11:56 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by Lanesplitter
Never tried, but I will, especially in cooler times of the year. Wet feet in the summer isn't too bad, but in the fall it is. The most Important thing is to always have a supply of clean, dry socks. Even slightly damp means for feet get cold with very few ways to warm them.
You need to try some good wool socks (and gloves). They still keep you warm, even dripping wet. I learned this while commercial fishing, in Alaska, so it definitely works. 👍
Old 02-14-20, 12:35 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
I used to use the plastic bag sock idea years ago when I rode to horticulture college but these days have Shimano rain booties too. Biggest problem. Always miscalculating or putting off the need to stop and put them on when rain begins so I wind up with wet shoes anyways.

Agree that rain covers are the right solution for rain.

But, the plastic bags over the socks do have a role, when it is cold like in the 30s or 40s (or 0 to 10 C) and your vented cycling shoes let too much cooling air into your socks, the plastic bag over the socks inside the cycling shoes helps keep your toes a bit warmer by cutting off the wind from coming into the vents. They will still get cold, but not as cold as without. But if you use this method, if your toes get warm and start to sweat, get rid of the plastic bag quickly.

Below freezing, I switch to hiking shoes or hiking boots instead of cycling shoes.
Old 02-14-20, 02:00 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
For rainy fall/winter weather commuting I finally bought a pair of ankle length rubber boots that my rain pants cover. Light and comfortable and low enough that the socks protect against chaffing. https://www.marks.com/en/windriver-m...5Bwidth%5D=WID
Old 02-14-20, 02:07 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 955 Times in 785 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet

Commuting I tend to put them on sooner than later, cuz even just wet roads end up with dirty shoes, so put them on early rather than later.
But yup, gotta put em on
Old 02-17-20, 03:10 PM
SlowJoeCrow

Bikes: Redline Conquest Pro, Kona Cinder Cone, Trek Fuel EX8(RIP) Pivot Mach 5 frankenbike

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
If you want one SPD compatible shoe for riding and walking the Pearl Izumi X-Alp series shoes are great, I've had two pairs of the now discontinued X-Alp Enduro with the ratchet buckle that I used for everything except winter. I use Crank Brothers pedals and install the Crank Brothers steel shim under the cleats to protect the soles. These are a little on the bulky side for most booties but a large neoprene style or toe covers work OK. About 10 years ago PI made an ankle height X-Alp with Gore-Tex but those have been discontinued for ages.
Old 02-18-20, 12:38 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Keen sandals, flat pedals.
Old 02-18-20, 12:59 PM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 717 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by nun
Similarly, minimalist trail running shoes like the Merrell Trail Glove and New Balance Minimus pack up nice and small. If you are light on your feet, you can walk several miles with them.

I like having an off-bike pair of shoes to vary the pressure points on my feet.