Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

neck pain on long downhills

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-20, 08:48 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts

Wondering if there are any tips for the neck pain I experience when riding on the drops and going down hills. I look pretty far down the road which causes me to lift my head. I usually get a pretty stiff neck and have to go to the hoods to give my neck a break.

I am not the most flexible person (can't touch my toes) so I'm sure that is part of it.

I will be working on stretches to improve things.
Old 08-02-20, 05:02 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Same. My neck and back were broken almost 20 years ago, and reinjured in 2018 when a car hit me. C1-C2 are permanently damaged.

Tweaking my bike fit helps. Check out the Bike Fit Adviser channel on YouTube for tips. Best info I've found online.

Along with bike fit I've found it helps to use a helmet that doesn't have a thick or low overhanging brow, and glasses without frames over the brow of the lenses. If I can peer upward without needing to crane my neck it's more comfortable. My POC helmet is a bit too thick and low on my forehead to be comfortable with my road bike, so I mostly wear it when using my hybrid. Ditto sunglasses -- I had to shop around to find some bifocal sunglasses/safety glasses that didn't have a frame over the tops of the lenses (Dual F1, no longer available but there are others). Even a slight difference in neck angle can affect comfort over longer rides.

Ditto physical therapy, starting at a clinic last year for a few months. I've continued on my own at home. Check out the Bowflex channel on YouTube for concise video tutorials on exercises that require no special equipment.

And I use a percussion massager and topical analgesics to relieve some of the tension.

Took awhile but now I can stay in the drops for several minutes at a time. At first it was torture to use the drops at all.
Old 08-02-20, 07:37 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
That is one of the big reasons people switch to recumbents. Neck pain will disappear. As will pain in hands, wrists, shoulders, lots of places
Likes For Pop N Wood:
Old 08-02-20, 08:56 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Its a DF bike problem.
Old 08-02-20, 10:25 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
See: Shermer's Neck
Old 08-02-20, 11:11 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Not sure how long you have been descending like that but for me when I began long descent my neck fatigued quickly too. After a few months it is gone. so for me it was just a posture I needed to get used to.
Old 08-02-20, 11:14 AM
spelger

Originally Posted by rydabent
Its a DF bike problem.
Had to Google that one. can't say I agree that it is strictly the case though.
Old 08-02-20, 12:13 PM
billridesbikes

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Smile more, that is make sure you’re relaxed.

If your shoulders are all hunched up I’m sure that can contribute.

Then, like timetrialers, keep your head low but roll your eyes up so you’re not holding your head up at as much of an angle but it is more or less inline with your spine. As mentioned previously some cycling glasses are better for this posture than others.
Old 08-02-20, 01:42 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
I have significant arthritis in my neck, and riding in the drops for extended periods was not comfortable. I found that changing the stem to raise the handlebars helped a lot. Perhaps I sacrificed some aerodynamic advantage with a higher position in the drops, but it is decidedly more comfortable now. That, and a helmet-mounted mirror so I don't have to turn my head to check behind are the two best accommodations to my arthritic neck.
Old 08-02-20, 04:10 PM
ksingh123

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All you guys need to go into the gym and do some stretching, pillates. Hold the body in reverse position of what the cycling is doing to you to balance things out.
Old 08-03-20, 04:46 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Originally Posted by ksingh123
All you guys need to go into the gym and do some stretching, pillates. Hold the body in reverse position of what the cycling is doing to you to balance things out.
Tell that to my orthopedic. Exercise and stretching are vital the more you ride, but once the vertebrae become compressed stretching only minimizes the progression and won't eliminate it.
Old 08-03-20, 07:57 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,926 Times in 1,209 Posts
A couple things you might try:

First, instead of staring straight ahead, cock your head towards the side as if you're looking 45 degrees from straight ahead to the side. Rock your head from side to side a few times a minute. (You'll also see more scenery this way!)

Second, maybe you don't need to be in the drops. Try riding on the hoods, and bend your elbows as much as you're comfortable riding. Yeah, you may get burned at the stake in some groups for committing such heresy, but really, who's riding your bike?
Old 08-03-20, 09:22 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
Had to Google that one. can't say I agree that it is strictly the case though.
Ryda's point was that it doesn't happen with a recumbent, only with a "Diamond-Frame" (road bike.) I suppose it would also be an issue with a Prone bike, but how many of those are there?
Old 08-03-20, 10:06 AM
spelger

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Ryda's point was that it doesn't happen with a recumbent, only with a "Diamond-Frame" (road bike.) I suppose it would also be an issue with a Prone bike, but how many of those are there?
yes, which is why i don't strictly agree that it is a DF problem. seems more physiological to me, not everyone experiences this. i would say that the DF does not cause it, it just provokes it.
Old 08-03-20, 03:11 PM
Pop N Wood

Originally Posted by spelger
yes, which is why i don't strictly agree that it is a DF problem. seems more physiological to me, not everyone experiences this. i would say that the DF does not cause it, it just provokes it.
Ride long enough and you will. And if you ever rode a recumbent you would clearly see the difference.

Visibility of the world around you is one of the true joys of a bent.
Old 08-04-20, 01:50 AM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
Your bars are almost certainly too low, and possibly too far away.

If you can't ride comfortably in the drops for a while, your bars are too low. The whole point of drop bars is that they offer a bunch of places to put your hands. All of those should be comfortable. Adjust the position of your handlebars until this is true.

Also, if your helmet has a visor, try removing it. Trying to look around a visor can make one's neck very unhappy.

Bike fit is weird, and individualistic, and there aren't any rules... only guidelines, and hints, and trying different things and keeping the things that work.

--Shannon
Old 08-04-20, 07:54 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Raise the bars so that the drops are more usable? If you are not comfortable in your drops for very long, your bars are probably too low.

Also, if you concentrate on bending at the hips (tilt your pelvis down) rather than your waist, your spine will be straighter, and thus be more upright at your neck, so your neck does not need to bend back so far. This helped me a lot in all my riding.
Old 08-04-20, 11:41 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 7,292 Times in 2,945 Posts
Are you using traditional deep drop bars, or compact bars?