Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Stepping up my helmet game, need help.

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Stepping up my helmet game, need help.

Old 08-16-20, 09:23 PM
gios

Bikes: 2021 Litespeed T5 105, 1990 Gios Compact Pro 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 182 Posts
Does anyone have a Giro Synthe MIPS and a Giro Aether MIPS? If so, are they both a comfortable fit? I have the Synthe MIPS and it's the most comfortable I've ever worn.
Old 08-16-20, 10:10 PM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
Originally Posted by gios
Does anyone have a Giro Synthe MIPS and a Giro Aether MIPS? If so, are they both a comfortable fit? I have the Synthe MIPS and it's the most comfortable I've ever worn.
I tried the Synthe and the Cinder, ended up with the Syntax. I remember that they all fit similarly on my very round/wide head. My budget didn’t really stretch to the Synthe, and while the Cinder looked cooler, the reviews I saw suggested that the Syntax actually cooled better. However, not all Giros fit the same - got a Cyprus MIPS late in the fall, but it’s far too narrow in the temples for me to ever want to use it, even as a backup.

With regards to vents, more isn’t always better. 18 small holes, or 12 bigger ones?
Likes For aliasfox:
Old 08-16-20, 10:38 PM
gios

Bikes: 2021 Litespeed T5 105, 1990 Gios Compact Pro 105

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by aliasfox
I tried the Synthe and the Cinder, ended up with the Syntax. I remember that they all fit similarly on my very round/wide head. My budget didn’t really stretch to the Synthe, and while the Cinder looked cooler, the reviews I saw suggested that the Syntax actually cooled better. However, not all Giros fit the same - got a Cyprus MIPS late in the fall, but it’s far too narrow in the temples for me to ever want to use it, even as a backup.

With regards to vents, more isn’t always better. 18 small holes, or 12 bigger ones?
Thanks - I was looking at the Syntax to add to the rotation.
Likes For gios:
Old 08-17-20, 06:42 AM
ZiggyC63

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Currently wearing the KASK Utopia and love it
Likes For ZiggyC63:
Old 08-19-20, 01:25 AM
sw20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
What price range? I am also changing my entry level helmet (Bell Formula) for an ARO3 or ARO5 from Oakley. Still undecided between the two, but I think I'll go with the ARO3 because of my needs. The Giro Cinder or Synthe is also a good choice, but I am sold to Oakley.

Always try before buying!
did you end up getting the AR03? I'm very tempted at the mo, currently got a Giro Foray and in the market for a new helmet. Some really good deals out there for the Oakley but nowhere local to try first!
Old 08-19-20, 07:56 AM
InvertedMP 

Bikes: 2021 Scott Addict RC 20

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 104 Posts
Been using the Kask Protone now for over a month now. Been very happy with it. Not sure it is the most comfortable helmet in the world but then again it seems like comfort in high end road bike helmets is sacrificed for weight savings. Nothing bugs me on long rides but I do feel the helmet styrofoam though the very thin padding. Stays nice and cool even though its a black helmet. I would totally recommend this helmet to anyone looking. I do very much like the Abus look too, I would love to try one on and see. Here is a pic of me in the Protone just in case anyone is thinking about one:
Old 08-28-20, 02:04 AM
Prodigy4299

Bikes: 1990 Trek 850, 2005 Cannondale R1000, 2019 Cannondale Topstone 105

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by gios
Thanks - I was looking at the Syntax to add to the rotation.
Have a Syntax and am super happy with it. It has a considerably smaller profile than other Giro helmets I've tried in size L. (Something to consider if you fall on the larger side of the head circumference spectrum, like me.)
Old 08-28-20, 06:42 AM
indiglow

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti, Bianchi D2 Super Pista

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by August West
I've been seriously considering one of these, but curious if anyone has direct experience as they are pretty much an unknown commodity.
They're 3D printed with info from a scan of your head that can be done via an app on iphone, concept seems really good, but opinions from ppl w/ real world experience would be awesome.