Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

My riding experience is foreign to you, yours is to me too

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

My riding experience is foreign to you, yours is to me too

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-20, 05:52 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 2,125 Times in 554 Posts
Riding in the SF Bay Area, we rarely get extreme temperature/weather. I don’t envy those who live in icy climates and have to put away their bikes over the winter.

We do have smoke. Lots of smoke.
Likes For gaucho777:
Old 08-27-20, 06:08 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
There are just so many different kinds of topography! I'd love to see them all, ride them all, at least enough to get bored with each. But i can't.

My daily commute takes me through suburban roads, plowed fields, an old canal complete with disappeared villages and an abandoned toll house, to a train to NYC where i play in traffic a bit. On weekend rides i have farmland, rivers, pine forests, and a variety of hills to chose from. Serious climbs are available.

In summer I usually ride a loop through eastern Long Island, where over about 110 miles we'd see five or ten completely different kinds of scenery. It's pretty cool how a long ride begins to feel like a series of short rides, some more fun than others.

i feel pretty lucky to have such a variety at hand. But i know what I'm missing, and yes i miss it. One time, some 37 years ago, I rode through prairies and mountains and a desert, even a honest to God shid your pants range fire. i spent hours in gas stations hiding from lightning and tornadoes. Yeah, i miss that, well... like kinda.

​​​​​Even now, now and then, i will go somewhere interesting to ride. This month i rode several hundred miles in Wisconsin and the U. P. Last year i did a 250mile loop through Vernont, and rode around Lake Ontario. New scenery! But as lovely as the UP is, I've seen the best of its scenery in Maine or Vernont, the Adirondacks or the Pine Barrens of NJ (and I've seen the rest in rural PA).

And let me not forget weather conditions! I've ridden in sweltering heat, arctic cold, thunderstorms, gorgeous spring mornings, and so on.

One of these days I will experience goatheads and all the joys of riding in the southwest. My brother has ridden in every mountain range in Europe, i including some I'd never heard of. i envy him, just as i envy you guys that deal with goatheads and that kind of stuff. i am glad i get to read about it here and wherever, so i know exactly what I'm, uh... missing.

Last edited by rhm; 08-27-20 at 06:13 PM.
Likes For rhm:
Old 08-27-20, 06:22 PM
natterberry 

Bikes: ‘83/‘85 Trek 760, ‘82 Trek 614, ‘77/‘78 Trek 304, ‘74 Raleigh International

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
It was a change to ride in St. Louis and So. Indiana and So. Illinois.
(barrettscv, I ride out of Edwardsville all the time)
MUP's in So. Illinois are a very pleasant surprise (100 miles on them on Sunday). Almost like they were built for it. Which they were.
I miss those trails. Not that’s it’s hard in Edwardsville, but every apartment/house I had in that town was a block away from an entry point. Right at about an hour drive from here, I need to get down more.

Like the rest of the Illinois posters, pretty flat here. I’m by the Sangamon River, so a slight amount of hill action can be found.

Last edited by natterberry; 08-27-20 at 07:29 PM.
Old 08-27-20, 06:24 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
Originally Posted by gaucho777
Riding in the SF Bay Area, we rarely get extreme temperature/weather. I don’t envy those who live in icy climates and have to put away their bikes over the winter.

We do have smoke. Lots of smoke.
or put studded nokians on them

Old 08-27-20, 06:26 PM
sd5782 

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 393 Posts
Crazy to me

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
Also. bluffs along the Illinois River in my area. Sure, they're not mountains but I have two 50 mph downhills within 3 miles of my house and quite a few double-digit percent bluff climbs.
I know not of what you speak with 50 mph downhills. No hills here to even make 30 mph. In fact I don’t even gear my bikes to over 100 gear inches anymore. It even sounds a bit scary and I ride motorcycles too
Old 08-27-20, 06:33 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
I spend half the year riding in Canada and the other half riding in Jamaica. Lots and lots of hills in both places. Really rough roads in Jamaica and only a couple on not so bad rough ones in the Canadian road I ride. These days, getting old and decrepit, I tend to not ride far from home in Canada. The road I now ride, in Canada, is 9.6 kilometers long and my cottage is half way on the loop. I do two loops each day on smooth road surface. The loop includes lots of up and down and lots of smooth curves. Perfect.

In Jamaica, I wander and wander, seeing this, that and the other thing. Caught a dog licking my foot, one day, on my way to Great Bay and darn near ran over a crocodile when riding the swamp roads on my way to Black River.
Old 08-27-20, 07:22 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,402 Times in 1,203 Posts
I enjoy riding everywhere I go.

And I go everywhere a lot.
Old 08-27-20, 07:29 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
Originally Posted by sd5782
I know not of what you speak with 50 mph downhills. No hills here to even make 30 mph. In fact I don’t even gear my bikes to over 100 gear inches anymore. It even sounds a bit scary and I ride motorcycles too
Steep grades don’t require gear inches, the grade and gravity do all of the work for you. The following was done on Kerfoot Street in East Peoria, IL this summer. Kerfoot is 20+%. Check the max speed in the lower left of the Garmin screen.

Old 08-27-20, 07:47 PM
tgot 

Bikes: 1986 Centurion Ironman, 1997 Trek 2120, Trek T1000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 119 Posts
Rolling hills

Another Bay Area rider here, SF Peninsula. It is possible to ride flattish routes, but they are far more stop-and-go due to traffic lights than riding along the edge of the hills.

Top of hills (Skyline) is prone to bands of sports cars pretending to be racers. Not worth it in my mind.

There are bigger climbs going to the coast and back, but I tend to ride shorter, and roughly 'square' rides, like 15mi/1500ft, 25 mi with variants 2000-2700ft, up to 53 mi & 4800 ft. Some in my history this summer are 36/2400 ish, if I do the rolling north-south stretches and avoid the climb excursions.

So, my "How in the world?" is half-step gearing. I can't imagine every shift being a double shift, especially on the downtube. And if I don't have exactly the gear I want, a mile from now I'll need something different.
Old 08-27-20, 09:10 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 1,109 Posts
I’ve recently experienced some paved roads that were not like my local paved roads. When folks write about needing wider tires for their roads, I would roll my eyes. Something called chip-seal made 28+ Tires essential? Then, last month, I rode a bit around Tucson, and later, North Tx. I think I get it now. Next trip out that way, I’ll bring the same bike, leave the 23s at home, and be thankful that bike has room for 28s.
Old 08-27-20, 09:16 PM
natterberry 

Bikes: ‘83/‘85 Trek 760, ‘82 Trek 614, ‘77/‘78 Trek 304, ‘74 Raleigh International

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 138 Posts
Yeah, I don’t believe I’ve ever ridden on one of these so-called “smooth paved roads.”
Old 08-27-20, 11:41 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Originally Posted by gaucho777
I don’t envy those who live in icy climates and have to put away their bikes over the winter.
Put away?
Likes For madpogue:
Old 08-28-20, 05:27 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,689 Times in 2,610 Posts
Yeah, winter in New England is just another excuse for n+1, but one you can trash.

Likes For nlerner:
Old 08-28-20, 06:00 AM
Sedgemop 

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10 '78 Motobecane Le Champion '83 Motobecane Grand Jubile '85 Trek 830 '88 Merckx Team ADR Corsa Extra

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 1,214 Times in 651 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
Yeah, winter in New England is just another excuse for n+1, but one you can trash.

Yes to this. Winter riding in Chicago for me means picking up a gas pipe road bike, or a lower end mtn. bike, or a funny commuter. Slap on some fenders and keep going. Buy cheap in the fall and sell when it's warm. Been a great way to try out a wide variety of bikes.

I skip blizzard days and ice storm days. Otherwise, I'm out there riding.
Likes For Sedgemop:
Old 08-28-20, 06:49 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
I’ve recently experienced some paved roads that were not like my local paved roads. When folks write about needing wider tires for their roads, I would roll my eyes. Something called chip-seal made 28+ Tires essential? Then, last month, I rode a bit around Tucson, and later, North Tx. I think I get it now. Next trip out that way, I’ll bring the same bike, leave the 23s at home, and be thankful that bike has room for 28s.
I could not have said it better. Well done! And, for what it is worth, I ride new chip-seal every day. Half of my daily route in on the new chip-seal the other half on old chip-seal. There is a huge difference in ride quality and effort needed to get there and back again. These days 28 to 32 only, if available. Yesterday, I had to settle for a new set of cheap 25s. Today, I get to try them out. And, one more thing about 23s...

My old hands, usually cramped with arthritis, are just not strong enough to install a set of 23. I could barely get these 25 installed yesterday. Looking forward to the test ride, later today...
Old 08-28-20, 08:48 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by Sedgemop
Yes to this. Winter riding in Chicago for me means picking up a gas pipe road bike, or a lower end mtn. bike, or a funny commuter. Slap on some fenders and keep going. Buy cheap in the fall and sell when it's warm. Been a great way to try out a wide variety of bikes.

I skip blizzard days and ice storm days. Otherwise, I'm out there riding.
I’m not too sanguine with riding on snow, so I typically wait til the roads are cleared enough to have some actual road surface exposed.

Also, our trails get pretty messed up when it snows, so I switch to the wheels with the small knob tires (Race Kings) for the winter, but even then I’m cautious about riding on actual snowpack and ice.

Not only is riding on snow with regular tires kinda scary to me, but if I can’t pedal hard and keep traction, I can get a better workout doing something else, probably in the warmth and safety of my home.

Otto
Old 08-31-20, 12:09 PM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
Rain. It doesn't rain much around here, but when it does, you really don't want to be out in it. So fenders are kind of moot. I see some people extol the virtues of fenders, and I have to remind myself that they probably are suitable in other places.
Old 08-31-20, 03:00 PM
BentRider56

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Southern New England. Sometimes...

Southern New England here. We can have anything from mud, sand, broken glass bottles, loose rock chips & gummy sealant, root heaves under paved rail trails, to untreated snow & ice. I got my first set of studded 40+ mm width Schwalbe Winter tires last Spring, but mostly I ride 28 mm wide slicks, 406's and 559's.
On my Northern Tier ride across N. America in 1991, I had a rude awakening in the Seattle Washington area, where the volcanic sand is the most vicious abrasive I've ever encountered. I wore out my chain in the first 1000 miles; should have brought a chain cleaner and dry lube, instead of just using the leftover oil in bottles found in gas station trash bins.

From 2015. Didn't get much 2019-2020.

Last edited by BentRider56; 08-31-20 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Added photo
Old 08-31-20, 06:21 PM
uncle uncle

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 140 Posts
I ride from the land that is topographically flatter than a flap jack, and when the summer sun is at it's wickedest, hotter than said flap jack straight from the grill. I split my time on chalk gravel roads, allowing the sun to beat down on me, while the wind slaps me in the face like some scorned lover. Often, because you can literally see for miles, farm dogs will lie in wait, salivating, knowing that chasing you may be the only thing on their schedule today. The rest of the rides are on bike paths of a city where opportunity packed it's bags and headed out, some time in the 80's. The paths are equal parts root heaves, broken glass, street art, and abandoned dreams, with an occasional homeless person for color commentary. But, silver lining, riding a C&V bike makes you blend in.
Likes For uncle uncle:
Old 08-31-20, 06:44 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by uncle uncle
Often, because you can literally see for miles, farm dogs will lie in wait, salivating, knowing that chasing you may be the only thing on their schedule today.
Makes me miss my old Silca frame Pump with the Campy head. That really evened the odds a bit when you pull it off the bike and brandish it to fend off the dogs while yelling like a madman. 😊

Otto
Old 08-31-20, 06:58 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,402 Times in 1,203 Posts
Originally Posted by uncle uncle
I ride from the land that is topographically flatter than a flap jack, and when the summer sun is at it's wickedest, hotter than said flap jack straight from the grill. I split my time on chalk gravel roads, allowing the sun to beat down on me, while the wind slaps me in the face like some scorned lover. Often, because you can literally see for miles, farm dogs will lie in wait, salivating, knowing that chasing you may be the only thing on their schedule today. The rest of the rides are on bike paths of a city where opportunity packed it's bags and headed out, some time in the 80's. The paths are equal parts root heaves, broken glass, street art, and abandoned dreams, with an occasional homeless person for color commentary. But, silver lining, riding a C&V bike makes you blend in.
Pretty darn poetic.
Old 08-31-20, 07:00 PM
BEC111

Bikes: Specialized Turbo Vado SL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
I’m in Northern Virginia and mostly ride the W&OD MUP. I’m a few miles west of halfway. Paved path, two lanes very well maintained. Hilly with a general elevation increase East to West, but only a few hundred feet for any 5 mile segments.
Old 08-31-20, 07:10 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 257 Posts
Originally Posted by ofajen
Makes me miss my old Silca frame Pump with the Campy head. That really evened the odds a bit when you pull it off the bike and brandish it to fend off the dogs while yelling like a madman. 😊

Otto
I bent a few Zefal HPs on rural doggie noggins back in the day...
Old 08-31-20, 07:28 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,464 Times in 1,433 Posts
This thread makes me feel lucky. I haven't seen a goathead yet. I am curious but also scared to ride in a desert. I have small hills in the city and big ones in the country. I have crazy traffic in the city and quiet roads in the country. (I'm bi-homed.) The city traffic is annoying, but not annoying enough to keep me off the bike. The city doesn't have many scenic rides unless one redefines what is scenic. I have a friend in the city who knows tons of very interesting bike routes, and he never gets bored while staying in the city. The climate makes riding in the colder months harder, but I manage to ride at least some amount each month. I don't generally head out on my bike when it's raining, but if it rains when I'm out, I don't let it stop me from riding home in the rain.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 08-31-20, 08:11 PM
Eiko

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sd5782
I guess I am slow, but the light bulb lit when I saw that people posting on great brakes were from places with mountains or big hills. It was just foreign to my whole experience, as the flatlands riding with no hair raising 40mph descents may be to you.
Your question is true for just about anything that people deal with. Money, jobs, power, etc or lack of any of that. More empathy would be nice.

I poo-poohed the need for disc brakes until moving to Colorado and descended way too fast on a steep switchbacked road. Promptly bought a new disc brake bike after surviving that.

Originally Posted by randyjawa
These days 28 to 32 only, if available.
I finally gave up the 28's on my 1981 Raleigh Competition and bought a Canyon Grail and am running 38's! Much more comfortable.
Likes For Eiko:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.