Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

crown race problem

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

crown race problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-20, 05:22 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
crown race problem

I'm rebuilding a 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper. The headset needs to be replaced. The problem I am having is that the crown race almost lacks a lip. It extends out beyond the fork by around 1 mm. My campy crown race remover can't do the job. I reckon my best bet is to use a punch to knock it out, right? That will be tough because that race is on there pretty tight; they usually are.

Old 09-13-20, 05:25 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Bike shop tools might knock it off..

"almost" should be enough.. have a bench vise?
Old 09-13-20, 05:26 PM
Juan el Boricua

Bikes: 1980's Royce Union "fixed wheel", 1995 Trek 370, 406 -wheeled " shopper/minivelo"for running errands, SS Raleigh M60

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 46 Posts
Using a flat bladed screwdriver and a hammer/small mallet, tap on opposing ends 'til loose. Have not failed me yet.
Likes For Juan el Boricua:
Old 09-13-20, 08:24 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4197 Post(s)
Liked 3,849 Times in 2,300 Posts
I've used various knife like objects to hammer under the race and lift it off it's seat a tad. Working around the race seat. Like a stuck post, once it moves the battle is halfway won. Andy
Old 09-13-20, 08:44 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
I've used various knife like objects to hammer under the race and lift it off it's seat a tad.
A sharp wood chisel is ideal for this. They are flat on one side and ground to a shallow bevel on the other that meet in a very thin edge. It's ideal for driving under the edge of the crown race between the race and the fork crown and gradually prying it up slightly. As Andy mentioned, once you move it even a little, the rest is easy.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 09-13-20, 11:31 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I had that problem with the crown race from a Chris King titanium headset on a '93 Trek 5900. The outer edge of the crown race was nearly flush with the fork crown. No way to tap it out with any makeshift tool. First time I tried driving a thin wedge in the crevice I could tell it was going to damage the fork crown, and possibly the crown race, and didn't budge the crown race in the slightest.

I took it to the LBS. They used their Park Tools crown race remover. It's one of those tools that's too expensive for most of us, ridiculously over-engineered, and does the job perfectly. They had to crown race off in a minute with no damage even to the paint. Fortunately I caught them at a slow time, just before the pandemic and rush on bike shops. I think they were going to charge only $5. I gave 'em $10. Great shop.

There are less expensive, somewhat similar tools with three independently adjustable wedges to ease out a crown race without damage. No idea whether they work as well as the Park.
Old 09-14-20, 07:18 AM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by canklecat
I had that problem with the crown race from a Chris King titanium headset on a '93 Trek 5900. The outer edge of the crown race was nearly flush with the fork crown. No way to tap it out with any makeshift tool. First time I tried driving a thin wedge in the crevice I could tell it was going to damage the fork crown, and possibly the crown race, and didn't budge the crown race in the slightest.

I took it to the LBS. They used their Park Tools crown race remover. It's one of those tools that's too expensive for most of us, ridiculously over-engineered, and does the job perfectly. They had to crown race off in a minute with no damage even to the paint. Fortunately I caught them at a slow time, just before the pandemic and rush on bike shops. I think they were going to charge only $5. I gave 'em $10. Great shop.

There are less expensive, somewhat similar tools with three independently adjustable wedges to ease out a crown race without damage. No idea whether they work as well as the Park.
Yeah no way I'm paying $269 for that tool. I have a campagnolo crown race remover. The Iweing crown race remover looks interesting and it is similar to HillRider s suggestion of a wood chisel. The Birzman tool looks interesting as well.

Iweing tool

Birzman tool

vintage campy tool
Old 09-14-20, 09:02 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,060 Times in 744 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Yeah no way I'm paying $269 for that tool. I have a campagnolo crown race remover. The Iweing crown race remover looks interesting and it is similar to HillRider s suggestion of a wood chisel. The Birzman tool looks interesting as well.

Iweing tool

Birzman tool

vintage campy tool
The Birzman tool is just a bearing separator often used in car applications and can sometimes be found at auto parts stores through their tool loaner programs for free. Check around for pricing if you decide to buy one.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 09-14-20, 09:29 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2602 Post(s)
Liked 1,925 Times in 1,208 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
I get the "who dies with the most toys wins," but $5-10 for LBS shop labor is surely the least expensive option?
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 09-14-20, 09:31 AM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by pdlamb
I get the "who dies with the most toys wins," but $5-10 for LBS shop labor is surely the least expensive option?
Yeah I largely agree but I don't mind picking up new tools as long as I think I can use them for more than one project and as long as the price is not too nutso. So I'm picking up some cold chisels and punches as the cost is reasonable and I can use them for more projects than just this one headset.
Old 09-14-20, 11:51 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
A sharp wood chisel is ideal for this. They are flat on one side and ground to a shallow bevel on the other that meet in a very thin edge. It's ideal for driving under the edge of the crown race between the race and the fork crown and gradually prying it up slightly. As Andy mentioned, once you move it even a little, the rest is easy.
As long as you wont want to use that wood chisel again until after spending many hours trying to put an edge on it, again ..

Otherwise use a Cold Chisel for banging on steel..
hardened, blunt edge
Old 09-14-20, 12:06 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,402 Times in 1,203 Posts
I used a Birzman type tool for many years but found it difficult to avoid damaging the paint on the fork.

Finally broke down and bought the newest version Park tool. Yep, expensive, but works like a charm and no more damage!
Old 09-14-20, 12:10 PM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by rccardr
I used a Birzman type tool for many years but found it difficult to avoid damaging the paint on the fork.

Finally broke down and bought the newest version Park tool. Yep, expensive, but works like a charm and no more damage!
Yeah well Doc I wish I lived a reasonable drive from you!
Old 09-14-20, 12:53 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,402 Times in 1,203 Posts
I wish you diid, too. Then I would get to ride some of your nice Treks!
Old 09-14-20, 02:20 PM
bikemig 

Well a punch did the job. What the heck was Specialized thinking about in spec'ing a headset with a near lipless crown race? Methinks they were trying to get people to buy that Park $270 crown race remover. : )