Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Does anyone else bring the bike inside the store while shopping?

Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Old 07-29-16, 08:17 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by TheLibrarian
No, never even considered it as a possibility. Does seem like it would be an annoyance and in the way. I've never had a problem finding something to lock it to even if its across the parking lot or down the street a little. I try to be careful bringing it into my storage area. I've clipped the edge of the doorway a few times with the pedals or leave tire marks on the doors.

If someone tried to bring one into the library I dont think i would be the first person to say hey what are you doing just because i think others would beat me to it. We have a bike rack outside. There has been the occasional llama in the building and if there was a bike show or something that would be different. We even have a bike lock people can borrow while they're here.
Most stores aren't set up the way your library is. A couple of times I have ridden several miles to the store, only to discover that I forgot my lock. Bringing the bike inside isn't my first choice, but I'm not going to waste a whole trip because I forgot the lock, if I can help it. Now if I have the trailer with me, that's another story. No way would I bring that whole rig inside a store. It's hard enough maneuvering it in and out of where I normally park it outside of stores.
Old 08-09-16, 03:23 AM
CompleteStreets

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am dumbfounded that there are so many of you out there that bring your bikes in stores.

First off, I feel MUCH more comfortable that my bike is safe against theft if it is locked up with a u-lock outside of the store than if I bring it inside the store and leave it unlocked. I had a friend who brought a bike inside a small grocery store to run a very quick errand. By the time she got to the checkout counter, her bike was gone. She never got it back.

I've locked my bikes up approximately, oh let's see, maybe 2,000 times, mostly in relatively high-theft urban areas for performing daily errands, and none of those bikes have been stolen. I would be absolutely paranoid about having my bike stolen if I were to leave it unlocked inside a store, however. Again, I'm dumbfounded by all the posts. SMH.
Old 08-09-16, 07:44 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by CompleteStreets
First off, I feel MUCH more comfortable that my bike is safe against theft if it is locked up with a u-lock outside of the store than if I bring it inside the store and leave it unlocked.
You are not following. I am not talking about rolling it in and walking away from it. I am rolling the bike in, hanging the shopping basket from the handle bars, and keeping my hand on it. It is no more of an obstruction in a store than a shopping trolley.
Old 08-09-16, 08:06 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
A couple of times I have ridden several miles to the store, only to discover that I forgot my lock. Bringing the bike inside isn't my first choice, but I'm not going to waste a whole trip because I forgot the lock, if I can help it.
Why be inconvenienced by your own forgetfulness when you can stick it to others, eh? If your bicycle does not belong inside a business establishment when you remember to bring a lock, why does it belong inside just because you neglected to bring it?
When you are away from home and it starts to rain and you forgot your umbrella and rain coat, do you just take someone else's because you don't want to be inconvenienced ?
Old 08-09-16, 02:13 PM
CompleteStreets

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert C
It is no more of an obstruction in a store than a shopping trolley.
Well, we're going to have to agree to disagree on that one. With the sharpness of metal pedals, handlebars stick out, etc, pushing a bike through shopping aisles where there could easily be small children wandering, and sometimes running around aisle corners, I strongly feel that a bicycle is a far more dangerous obstruction than a shopping trolley. If I was a store owner I would be very reluctant to allow someone to push a bicycle through my store. In addition to the dangers it presents, bicycles are filthy. Greese could get on items in the aisles. Maybe I would make an exception, depending on the circumstances. Anyways I always carry a u-lock with me. Always. And I'm always able to find something to lock my bike to, even if it's not an official bike rack. If I saw another person walking a bike through a store I'd think to myself, "look at this arrogant entitled piece of [work]." If a "utility cyclist" like myself is thinking that, you can imagine what the other customers are thinking.
Old 08-27-16, 07:26 PM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 47 Posts
I see no reason not to roll the bike in and use it in place of a cart. If there are baskets and/or bags on the racks you will be sure to buy only what you can carry. I don't normally do it, but have seen it done.

Marc
Old 08-28-16, 01:06 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
After several local group rides where cyclists bring their bikes inside pubs -- no incidents or scraped shins -- I'm a bit less concerned about a bike inside a grocery store. The aisles are wide. And I'd try to do it only during off hours when there are fewer customers but the employees haven't begun restocking (which often impedes some aisles with pallets).

I always try to bring my lock, but if I did get caught without the lock after a 10 mile trip to one of my favorite stores, I'd probably ask the manager if it was okay to roll it through the aisles. I always shop there around 9 pm when there are few customers but there's no restocking activity. So far the only time I've been caught without my lock I was only planning to buy some of my favorite local beer, so I just skipped that errand.
Old 09-01-16, 03:57 PM
reppans

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Yup...Brompton's "shopping cart" mode

Last edited by reppans; 09-22-16 at 08:43 PM.
Old 09-05-16, 04:53 PM
NordicNorm

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've grocery shopped exclusively with my eBig Dummy for the past few years. Initially my regular store's manager objected, but when I politely but persistently pointed out that I'd been a weekly customer over 10 years, that the store lacks any secure rack, that bike theft is rampant in the vicinity, and that my BD actually is my shopping cart, not (just) a bicycle, she eventually relented but only with the (acceptable) proviso that I always have a hand on it so as to prevent anyone from bumping it and having it fall on them.

While I wouldn't say I've always felt welcome thereafter, I've managed to avoid further hassle by shopping early when few other shoppers are about. I've also shopped at more distant grocerys at off-peak times with the BD without complaint and would travel farther and change my patronage should my BD ever be banned.

Interestingly, like others above, the one time I tried to shop at whole foods, I was also required to lockup outside. At least there was a rack, and the store is in a less dodgy area, nevertheless, they've lost my business.
Old 09-06-16, 09:05 PM
CompleteStreets

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen someone walk a bicycle through a grocery store. I use my bike to do 80% of my shopping, often in high-theft areas. I always lock my bike up outside the store and never have any issues. I honestly think some of you are paranoid about theft. Get a good u-lock, live life freely, and let other customers (and their small children) shop without having to worry about knocking into your bicycle. Done.
Old 09-21-16, 10:00 PM
Kaze6

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I honestly think some of you are paranoid about theft. Get a good u-lock,
Go check some of the YouTube videos that show how to rapidly defeat bike locks, then tell us again about paranoia.

And consider how many components can be removed without disturbing the lock. Seats, for instance, especially with quick-adjust clamps. And are you going to spend the time to remove and remount your bags, lights, computer, etc, every time?

It's been a while since I rode a bike to a grocery store, but the folks where I used to live were used to seeing me pushing my bike around in the aisles.
Old 09-21-16, 10:02 PM
Kaze6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In addition to the dangers it presents, bicycles are filthy. Greese could get on items in the aisles.
When's the last time that you saw a clean shopping cart wheel?
Old 09-22-16, 02:21 AM
AdvXtrm

Bikes: 2016 Novara - Safari

Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't travel with any form of lock, because my bike and what's on it means more to me than to trust it all to a lock. And I've got too many accessories and gear on my bike that a lock wouldn't do me much good in that respect. I just walk on into any store I need to, if they don't like it, and they won't be reasonable, then I'll leave and shop elsewhere.

Last edited by AdvXtrm; 09-22-16 at 01:50 PM.
Old 09-22-16, 01:31 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Why be inconvenienced by your own forgetfulness when you can stick it to others, eh? If your bicycle does not belong inside a business establishment when you remember to bring a lock, why does it belong inside just because you neglected to bring it?
When you are away from home and it starts to rain and you forgot your umbrella and rain coat, do you just take someone else's because you don't want to be inconvenienced ?
Stuff it, ILTB. Bringing a bicycle inside a store for a few minutes is not the same as stealing someone's property. I would hope you can understand that. I have done it exactly 3 times in the last 4 years at big-box type of stores, so kindly STFU and GTFO with the condescending tone of your posts.

Actually, I've rolled my road commuter bike inside the local small town hardware store on several occasions, mainly because there IS NO PLACE to lock up outside that store. And the employees are fine with it, and think it's kinda neat. They have struck up conversations about my bike and cycling on a number of occasions. Some of those times have been to look for a special fastener for the bike, and I actually needed the bike in there to make sure I got the right thing.
Old 10-15-16, 02:40 AM
CompleteStreets

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kaze6
Go check some of the YouTube videos that show how to rapidly defeat bike locks, then tell us again about paranoia.

And consider how many components can be removed without disturbing the lock. Seats, for instance, especially with quick-adjust clamps. And are you going to spend the time to remove and remount your bags, lights, computer, etc, every time?

It's been a while since I rode a bike to a grocery store, but the folks where I used to live were used to seeing me pushing my bike around in the aisles.
Reading through all of these posts has reaffirmed my belief that the majority of bikeforums posters actually represent a tiny minority of people who ride bikes for transportation in the US.

I've lived in some of the highest bike-theft areas of the US and have yet to have a properly locked bike stolen after several years. I did have two bikes stolen which were locked with cable locks. Now I use quality u-locks.

Here are some things I've learned over the years:

1) For urban utility cycling, it is crucial to replace quick-release axles of wheels and seats with bolts, and ideally with locking skewers. Cheaper options include running a bicycle chain through your seat and frame, and using hose clamps around the quick-releases of your wheels.

2) Permanently affixed baskets are immensely useful if you're using a bicycle for running errands. There's a reason most bikes in western Europe and Eastern Asia come with baskets.

3) Easily removable lights (read: easily stolen) are a hassle to remove multiple times per day. Rather, it is much more practical to have permanently affixed lights, whether generator lights or battery operated.

Each year I perform hundreds of errands by bicycle. For none of these errands do I remove a single thing from my bicycle. Everything is permanently affixed. Nothing has been stolen. In no instance have I had a need to bring a bicycle inside a store.

Last edited by CompleteStreets; 10-15-16 at 02:51 AM.
Old 10-16-16, 05:45 AM
zebede
Hello

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
I take my Bike Friday Tikit folding bike and pop it into the grocery cart at Walmart on several occasions. Believe it or not no one hardly notices it!

However most of my shopping is done with a cheap bike that I found in the trash (fixed it up), locked up out side. That one I do not worry about it being stolen. its my "Grocery getter".

I have a very nice commuter bike that I will only leave outside for a short period of time (with great fear of theft), I HAVE HAD BIKE LOCKS CUT AND VERY NICE BIKES STOLEN.

For those who can leave there nice bike outside with out fear of loss, I say you live in a nicer community than mine.
Old 10-16-16, 07:13 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Most grocery stores within hundreds of kilometers of me (and most other stores too) have a sign on the door leading into the store. the sign reads, ALL BACKPACKS AND BAGS MUST BE LEFT AT THE FRONT COUNTER SO how does one keep their saddlebags on a bicycle in such cases? I still think that bicycles inside most stores are a very bad idea simply due to the number of things sticking out of of a bicycle and the inherent instability of a bicycle. Shopping carts are designed not to have things sticking out of then so are far less of a hazard if someone gets hit with one. Not to mention the damage a bicycle can sustain if someone hits it with a shopping cart especially if the bicycle is knocked over. No, I'm NOT talking about folding bikes here but about full size bicycles.

My lock lives on the bicycle so that I won't forget the lock. Back in the day when I did forget a lock I simply went back home and got it.

I really do not understand the insistence that full-size bicycles be allowed inside stores. Heck it's hard enough getting served in a drive-thru if you're on a bicycle. Skateboards are NOT allowed inside most stores either and those skateboards can be carried by their owner.

Cheers
Old 10-16-16, 07:05 PM
Kaze6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MM: What works for you, works for YOU. Some of us live far enough from the store that "simply going back to get it" isn't "simple" or easy, if we forget a lock.

I've never had a bike run into by a shopping cart. I generally keep a hand on it anyhow, so it won't fall over. I've also never had a problem with bag/backpack rules, I offer to open up the panniers and have never had anyone accept the offer.

If you have a problem with the idea of taking a bike into a store, DON'T DO IT. Problem solved.
Old 10-16-16, 07:37 PM
CompleteStreets

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zebede
I HAVE HAD BIKE LOCKS CUT AND VERY NICE BIKES STOLEN.

For those who can leave there nice bike outside with out fear of loss, I say you live in a nicer community than mine.
I would love to hear more details on this. What kind of lock were you using? And how expensive were the bicycles? Did you lock up to a bike rack or other object that was securely bolted to the ground? And what city? Cable locks are crap. $20 department store u-locks are crap. $50-$100 quality u-locks are much, much more likely to deter a thief.

Yes, locking up a bike always involves a certain level of risk. However, so long as the bike isn't worth thousands of dollars, and the lock is of high quality, the risk is extremely low for running daytime errands. I don't care where you live. I've lived in Washington, DC and Portland, OR, where theft is rampant. I've also spent some time in NYC, San Fran, etc.
Old 10-16-16, 07:58 PM
CreamyPete

Bikes: 2016 Giant Defy 5, Kent Road Tech 700c

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As a Wal-Mart drone, I'd be taking a risk telling you not to bring your bike in. So I'll just find something useful to do instead. If you leave a wheel trail though, maintenance will curse your very soul. You likely will never know till judgement day.
Please be clean and efficient.
Old 10-17-16, 05:55 AM
reppans

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
I would love to hear more details on this. What kind of lock were you using? And how expensive were the bicycles? Did you lock up to a bike rack or other object that was securely bolted to the ground? And what city? Cable locks are crap. $20 department store u-locks are crap. $50-$100 quality u-locks are much, much more likely to deter a thief.

Yes, locking up a bike always involves a certain level of risk. However, so long as the bike isn't worth thousands of dollars, and the lock is of high quality, the risk is extremely low for running daytime errands. I don't care where you live. I've lived in Washington, DC and Portland, OR, where theft is rampant. I've also spent some time in NYC, San Fran, etc.
NYC in the 80s I locked a nice mid-priced Cannondale (SR400?) to an awing pole of Paragon Sporting goods in Union Square (very busy corner/time of day) with a Krytonite U-Lock. Only inside for ~5-10 mins and the bike/lock was gone without a trace.
Old 10-20-16, 06:26 PM
period3

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yep

There's a local bakery (Cobbs) here in Toronto that I used to stop by on my way home from work, and bring my bike in. No problems for several months, but now they've refused I take my bike in. Meanwhile, others are bringing in their large and smelly animals.

I could understand it if the store is packed with people, but when I go there's usually me and one or two others.

Haven't been back.
Old 10-23-16, 07:00 PM
Kaze6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by period3
Haven't been back.
I hope you let them know WHY you don't go back. I've had pretty good results with most of the places which had a rule that I objected to, just by letting them know that there was a conflict.
Old 11-29-16, 10:28 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,577 Times in 910 Posts
Good discretion is key

I suppose, like anything else, using good discretion is key.

Would it be in good taste to go honest-to-goodness grocery shopping walking a mountain bike with panniers up and down the ailes at 5pm on payday? Probably not. At 7am or 9pm? Maybe, if you can be discrete. A trike or cargo bike? I would err against it, at any time. Maybe, in all cases, locked up, out of the way in the cart return area (or similar) may be the best tolerated AND highest security option though.

Same situation after a terrible rain, but a low customer time of day? I'll bet the store staff with the mop wouldn't think very highly of it...& why are you shopping in the rain storm anyway?

Convenance store or less than 10 minutes inside the establishment. Sure, place the bike between the manned cashier kiosk and the door, & most especially out of the way of other customers. I consider anytime I could be more than 50 feet away while still inside the establishment to be the limit though. Places bigger than this OR I could be further than this seldom see me and my bicycle on the same trip. Never had a problem.

Does the bar/pub have hooks on the wall or an outdoor seating area? Feel free, put the bike there & Be at the table/bench it's at. Lock it if you feel it appropriate. I frequent bars in Ballard for exactly this reason.

It's a tough decision for me to trust a lock outside when I know it's surveilled via camera, security and active human eyeball (mine) while inside.

This whole thread is about good judgement and a bit of manners. Useful question: How would others see "this"? Let that answer be your guide.

Last edited by base2; 11-29-16 at 10:50 AM. Reason: I edit everything
Likes For base2:
Old 05-17-17, 01:30 PM
BBassett

Bikes: Tout Terrain, Panamericana

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Chipoleany
Unless a store is small and my bike will be in the way I walk it in like I own the place. If someone says something to me I smile and go to another store. One suggestion I have for all bike owners is to use a bike cover over the bike when it IS locked outside. A full cover seems to keep people at arm's length. I locked up once in a seedy neighborhood and covered the bike just to stand back and see how people reacted. I middle age man actually walked the entire rack shaking locks and chains to find one that was loose and he never ever touched my cover. It's not a sure thing but it does seem to help.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.