Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Cycling the Camino de Santiago, Spain

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 01-21-20, 03:54 AM
Devon1979

Bikes: Trek Dual Sport 4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi All,

Just getting back in to cycling (wife bought me a Trek Dual Sport 4 for my 40th) and totally new to touring but planning to cycle (self contained but staying at hostels) the Camino de Santiago in Spain in May/June of this year. Was considering between the French route or the North Route and seem to leaning towards the French route (but starting from Pampalona). All in all should be a little over 700 kms (approx 450 miles) to Santiago de Compostela and planning on 11 Days in the saddle (so 60 - 70 km a day).

I've been cycling 10 - 20 km 3 - 4 times a week for last couple of months without too much effort, so not starting from zero, but I guess a long ways off from where I need to be fitness wise. How tough is it to cycle 70km a day for consecutive days?

Planning to start training in earnest in Feb and looking for any suggestions on how to structure my training (or is it as simple as ride as much as possible). I will plan to be able to at ride 70 km 3 - 4 days consecutively before I head off, would this likely be enough fitness wise to be able to do then do 11 days of similar riding?

Appreciate any comments , suggestions or useful resources people can steer me towards in this adventure.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Devon
Old 01-21-20, 07:46 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
You should try to get in a 70-80km day once a week to 10 days, and fill in with 40-50km days. Maybe a couple weeks before do a couple of 2-3 day 70-80days. What you need is a base fitness level that includes being able to do that distance and to be aware of how long those days really are. You don't need to be able to do it for a week straight before you start. Although in the last couple weeks you should also add some weight to your bike to simulate a loaded tour since you will carry things. You'll find on a ride like that there will be people in similar shape who you can talk to and ride with and that will make the ride easier.
Old 01-21-20, 01:29 PM
HobbesOnTour

Bikes: 90's Trek 800 Sport, setup for Fully Loaded Touring

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
I've cycled the Camino Frances as part of a longer tour and I have a couple of suggestions based on my own experience.

First of all decide if you want the pilgrimage experience or the touring experience.

If you're staying in the (pilgrim) hostels be aware that it's very early to bed and extremely early to rise. There's a "bed dash" every day with many walking pilgrims leaving before sunrise. Not following the flow of the majority will probably result in a lack of sleep, unless you use private hostels and hotels.

The pilgrimage experience will also involve eating at pilgrim times - early and normally involving special "Pilgrim menus". Some of the best Spanish food is served later! (Or not at all in some of the smaller places). Of course, in the hostels it's often possible to participate in a communal meal, but this can be more difficult when travelling on a bike, simply because you don't have the connections that the walkers have developed over days or even weeks.

Finally, 11 days is a very short time to fully embrace the pilgrim experience. If I have one regret it's that I should have travelled slower along the Camino. I took, I think, 16 days from SJPP to Santiago.

Having said all that, from a cycling perspective, I much preferred my pre & post Camino experience.
I loved my Camino experience, but not as a cycling experience. (I used the walker's path as much as possible).
I found the schedule set by walker's to be stifling and the opposite of the freedom I normally associate with cycle touring.
Away from the Camino it was more relaxed and food was better.

Northern Spain has fantastic cycling if you want less of pilgrimage experience and more of a touring one.

Of course, there are many different Camino routes, none as busy as the Frances route, so alternatives exist.
Old 01-22-20, 04:25 AM
hobbs1951
Velominatus

Bikes: 1986 SBDU Raleigh, 1984 Raleigh Corsa, 1980 Allin Stan Butler Special, 2 x late 1960s Roberts, 1978 Philbook, 1964 Allin Belgique, 1959 Allin Stan Butler Special, 1951 Higgins Plus Parfait, 1951 Hobbs of Barbican, 1913 Centaur Featherweight.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Devon1979
Hi All,

Just getting back in to cycling (wife bought me a Trek Dual Sport 4 for my 40th) and totally new to touring but planning to cycle (self contained but staying at hostels) the Camino de Santiago in Spain in May/June of this year. Was considering between the French route or the North Route and seem to leaning towards the French route (but starting from Pampalona). All in all should be a little over 700 kms (approx 450 miles) to Santiago de Compostela and planning on 11 Days in the saddle (so 60 - 70 km a day).

I've been cycling 10 - 20 km 3 - 4 times a week for last couple of months without too much effort, so not starting from zero, but I guess a long ways off from where I need to be fitness wise. How tough is it to cycle 70km a day for consecutive days?

Planning to start training in earnest in Feb and looking for any suggestions on how to structure my training (or is it as simple as ride as much as possible). I will plan to be able to at ride 70 km 3 - 4 days consecutively before I head off, would this likely be enough fitness wise to be able to do then do 11 days of similar riding?
I think for someone just getting back to cycling attempting something like the Camino is very ambitious, 70 kms day after day requires considerable endurance (cycling 10 or 20 kms doesn't bear comparison to 70 kms - especially as your 10-20 kms is from home and back!). Factor in the changeable weather conditions you're likely to encounter - plus the crowds, and the distance becomes even more of a challenge: mentally and physically.

You are have to think about maintenance, are you capable of basic maintenance: such as changing an inner tube, what would you do if you have a breakage - more fundamental is the bicycle suitable ?

I have walked and cycled the Camino (both twice) but (thankfully) before it became popularised by the internet, someone on thread was correct is asking whether you wanted a pilgrimage experience or a cycle-touring one ? A good question.

The alternative of course is to just satisfy yourself with cycling part of the route - say half of it. No shame in that.

John.

Last edited by hobbs1951; 01-22-20 at 04:29 AM.
Old 01-22-20, 01:18 PM
Caretaker
Heretic

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant OCR3, Giant CRS3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2827 Post(s)
Liked 561 Times in 429 Posts
Hi All,

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Devon
Hi Devon,

I've done two Caminos on a bike, the Levante (from Valencia across via Toledo and Zamora) and the Norte from Bordeaux.

Your wife is very generous, that looks like a nice bike and certainly up to the task.

The question is are you.....up to the task? Ten to 30kms. isn't much but it's a start. You will need to increase it gradually to around your target for the tour and put in a good few full days (6-8 hours) in the saddle. You'll need to include some climbing into your preparation also.
Going straight into a 450 mile Camino isn't what I'd normally recommend for someone new to touring but if you're determined enough it's very doable.
Age isn't a factor as I did mine when I was 68 & 69 but the main advice I'd give you is not to tie yourself down to a time period if at all possible. Don't book a flight home 12 days from the start, it will put pressure on you to keep pushing on when you really would be better taking a rest day.
A couple of warnings: The French route is seriously overcrowded, I have this on very good authority. If you are thinking of doing the walking routes think again unless your bike handling is very good which I suspect it isn't. You could seriously injure yourself on muddy rocky climbing/descending narrow paths. Keep to the tarmac roads if at all possible.
The hostels (albergues) won't be your main problem although I agree with the points others have made, beware of rustling walkers getting going in the dorms from 5.30am on.
If your thinking of flying out from Santiago airport with your Trek then be aware this airport requires you to box your bike but this can be arranged with the bag-wrapping guy in departures who has a supply of flat-pack bike boxes, for about €18.

Best of luck and get back to me if you've any questions.
Old 01-22-20, 01:47 PM
Devon1979

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Russ,

Thanks for the input. I've drawn up a training plan and with 20 weeks out should hopefully be there in time.

Cheers,

Devon
Old 01-22-20, 02:14 PM
Devon1979

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HobbesOnTour
I've cycled the Camino Frances as part of a longer tour and I have a couple of suggestions based on my own experience.

First of all decide if you want the pilgrimage experience or the touring experience.

If you're staying in the (pilgrim) hostels be aware that it's very early to bed and extremely early to rise. There's a "bed dash" every day with many walking pilgrims leaving before sunrise. Not following the flow of the majority will probably result in a lack of sleep, unless you use private hostels and hotels.

The pilgrimage experience will also involve eating at pilgrim times - early and normally involving special "Pilgrim menus". Some of the best Spanish food is served later! (Or not at all in some of the smaller places). Of course, in the hostels it's often possible to participate in a communal meal, but this can be more difficult when travelling on a bike, simply because you don't have the connections that the walkers have developed over days or even weeks.

Finally, 11 days is a very short time to fully embrace the pilgrim experience. If I have one regret it's that I should have travelled slower along the Camino. I took, I think, 16 days from SJPP to Santiago.

Having said all that, from a cycling perspective, I much preferred my pre & post Camino experience.
I loved my Camino experience, but not as a cycling experience. (I used the walker's path as much as possible).
I found the schedule set by walker's to be stifling and the opposite of the freedom I normally associate with cycle touring.
Away from the Camino it was more relaxed and food was better.

Northern Spain has fantastic cycling if you want less of pilgrimage experience and more of a touring one.

Of course, there are many different Camino routes, none as busy as the Frances route, so alternatives exist.
Hi Hobbes,

Not sure exactly what experience I am looking for, other than a decent lengthy ride. Almost certainly not a pilgrimage in the true sense, as I'm not really that religious, but I do like the historical aspect of a well trodden route through the ages.

Noted on hostels, probably wouldn't plan to be up at the crack of dawn - i get enough of that at home with three little ones ;-)

Noted on the timing, may consider shortening the route as I don't think I can increase the number of days (need to get home and relieve the wife).

May still consider switching to the Northern route as I do find myself tending to be drawn to the ocean, and I've loved visiting that part of Spain in the past.

Cheers
Old 01-22-20, 02:30 PM
Devon1979

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hobbs1951
I think for someone just getting back to cycling attempting something like the Camino is very ambitious, 70 kms day after day requires considerable endurance (cycling 10 or 20 kms doesn't bear comparison to 70 kms - especially as your 10-20 kms is from home and back!). Factor in the changeable weather conditions you're likely to encounter - plus the crowds, and the distance becomes even more of a challenge: mentally and physically.

You are have to think about maintenance, are you capable of basic maintenance: such as changing an inner tube, what would you do if you have a breakage - more fundamental is the bicycle suitable ?

I have walked and cycled the Camino (both twice) but (thankfully) before it became popularised by the internet, someone on thread was correct is asking whether you wanted a pilgrimage experience or a cycle-touring one ? A good question.

The alternative of course is to just satisfy yourself with cycling part of the route - say half of it. No shame in that.

John.
John,

Thanks for your reply. I'm actually wrapping up work in a little under 10 days so I'm going to be able to dedicate myself to some serious training in the months ahead of the planned trip. I also live in a hilly part of Spain, and although drier than Green Spain, should afford some decent training over the chillier months.

Likewise with maintenance, testing out gear, packing etc I hope that with a few lengthy rides under my belt I will have figured out several of these points before the start of the trip.

Definitely giving some thought to doing the Northern Route, and possibly a shorter route say from Santander to Santiago D C.

Cheers for your input.
Old 01-22-20, 02:35 PM
Devon1979

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Caretaker
Hi Devon,

I've done two Caminos on a bike, the Levante (from Valencia across via Toledo and Zamora) and the Norte from Bordeaux.

Your wife is very generous, that looks like a nice bike and certainly up to the task.

The question is are you.....up to the task? Ten to 30kms. isn't much but it's a start. You will need to increase it gradually to around your target for the tour and put in a good few full days (6-8 hours) in the saddle. You'll need to include some climbing into your preparation also.
Going straight into a 450 mile Camino isn't what I'd normally recommend for someone new to touring but if you're determined enough it's very doable.
Age isn't a factor as I did mine when I was 68 & 69 but the main advice I'd give you is not to tie yourself down to a time period if at all possible. Don't book a flight home 12 days from the start, it will put pressure on you to keep pushing on when you really would be better taking a rest day.
A couple of warnings: The French route is seriously overcrowded, I have this on very good authority. If you are thinking of doing the walking routes think again unless your bike handling is very good which I suspect it isn't. You could seriously injure yourself on muddy rocky climbing/descending narrow paths. Keep to the tarmac roads if at all possible.
The hostels (albergues) won't be your main problem although I agree with the points others have made, beware of rustling walkers getting going in the dorms from 5.30am on.
If your thinking of flying out from Santiago airport with your Trek then be aware this airport requires you to box your bike but this can be arranged with the bag-wrapping guy in departures who has a supply of flat-pack bike boxes, for about €18.

Best of luck and get back to me if you've any questions.
Thanks Caretaker for your valuable input.

since I will be finishing up work end of this month I have a good few months to dedicate to training, so I'm confident I can seriously ramp it up and be where I need to be before I start. I also live in Spain, in a hilly part, so I think I can do a fair few rides with significant climbs.

Appreciate your comments on not tying myself in to a crazy schedule and deadlines. I do definitely want to achieve something in terms of a significant ride, but this trip is also supposed to be a reward during my sabbatical after a few challenging years so I want to make it enjoyable as well.

Thanks again for your input.

Cheers.
Old 01-22-20, 02:40 PM
Caretaker
Heretic

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant OCR3, Giant CRS3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2827 Post(s)
Liked 561 Times in 429 Posts

Thanks again for your input.

Cheers.
No problem Devon thanks for responding.

I see you're considering the Norte route. No doubt you've been looking at peoples accounts of their experience but in case you haven't seen mine here's a link to my journal of the Northern route in June 2018.

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/..._id=20742&v=NW
Old 01-24-20, 01:48 PM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
1. You may want to visit to this forum. They focus on the Camino experience (I believe I've linked to Camino Frances. AFAIR, there are many sub-forums.)
2. I wouldn't worry about your level of fitness. 60-70kms per day is not much. Easily covered with 2hrs in the mornings and 2 in the afternoons.
3. You may want to pay attention to the rules practiced by the albergues. Although I wouldn't worry about bed runs (you'll most likely arrive at destination way before most other pilgrims), many will offer their beds to walking pilgrims and cater to bikers if there is still room. Won't make you feel appreciated and will induce uncertainties.
4. Back when we were planning our trip (a few years ago), the most coveted guide was Miam-miam-dodo. Even by non-French readers. They provide the most complete listing of facilities.

Last edited by gauvins; 01-24-20 at 06:02 PM.
Old 02-11-20, 06:41 AM
laychris

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Everyone have such cool expirience, I wish I could do things like that one day