Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southeast
Reload this Page >

Charleston, SC to Savannah, GA road/path ride

Search
Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-20, 11:46 AM
Jungleland

Bikes: Trek Domane SL4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 7 Posts

Hey all. My mom (who is a cyclist getting on in age) and I were planning on doing an organized century this fall together as her last century ride (in Maryland) but they were all cancelled.

We still would like to do a 100 mile ride and would like to make a bit of a winter break out of it so are considering riding from Charleston, SC to Savannah, GA (staying a few days in both towns on either side of the ride). My wife could crew us. My only concern is, using street view the roads don't seem overly conducive to bikes but I wanted to check if anyone had any experience doing all or part of that route. We would be fine on trails but for a century ride, don't want to be overly slowed by crowded walking trails.

Thanks for any help you could provide.
Old 09-08-20, 03:21 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
The problem with that is all the water crossing you have to do - which shoves you back on the the main Route 17 road. That is a death trap. South Carolina is a terrible place for road cyclists. In fact, there have been two cyclist killed on that road in the last 10 days.

Coming to Charleston and doing some of the rides around the islands and such would be a better idea. We did a 100 miles ride In early August that covered 100 miles (heat was terrible).
Old 09-08-20, 04:31 PM
Jungleland

Originally Posted by vespasianus
The problem with that is all the water crossing you have to do - which shoves you back on the the main Route 17 road. That is a death trap. South Carolina is a terrible place for road cyclists. In fact, there have been two cyclist killed on that road in the last 10 days.

Coming to Charleston and doing some of the rides around the islands and such would be a better idea. We did a 100 miles ride In early August that covered 100 miles (heat was terrible).
Thank you, that's what I was worried about. Maybe a 100 miler in the area would be the safer option (and logistically easier).
Old 09-09-20, 06:55 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Just wanted to mention that both of those towns do experience winter.

A suggestion I make is to consider a way S Florida ride at/near Big Cypress/Everglades.
Old 09-10-20, 05:39 AM
Jungleland

Originally Posted by Juan Foote
Just wanted to mention that both of those towns do experience winter.

A suggestion I make is to consider a way S Florida ride at/near Big Cypress/Everglades.
We really don't want to ride in hot weather (cold weather is much easier to deal with for us). I don't want to risk it being 90 degrees (but we are fine with 30 degrees).
Likes For Jungleland:
Old 09-18-20, 07:45 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 101 Posts
Look at wind patterns. Yeah, wind will always be blowing inland (east to west), but I bet that it will also generally blow NW ('up' the coast). If you're riding Charleston to Savannah, that may make it a lot harder. Charleston to Savannah is going SW. Savannah to Charleston may be a lot easier.
Old 09-30-20, 08:43 PM
sedges

Bikes: Trek 820 Antelope (1992)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Silver Comet Trail and Chief Ladiga Trail makes 100 miles of paved, off road riding. It is a wonderful ride any time of year. There could be winter weather, but that is usually well forecast. Smyrna, GA to Aniston, AL
Likes For sedges:
Old 02-17-21, 11:02 AM
WaveyGravey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 87 Posts
Do you know if the Silver Comet Trail is open completely? Thanks
Old 02-18-21, 01:49 PM
RichinSC1

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Jungleland
Hey all. My mom (who is a cyclist getting on in age) and I were planning on doing an organized century this fall together as her last century ride (in Maryland) but they were all cancelled.

We still would like to do a 100 mile ride and would like to make a bit of a winter break out of it so are considering riding from Charleston, SC to Savannah, GA (staying a few days in both towns on either side of the ride). My wife could crew us. My only concern is, using street view the roads don't seem overly conducive to bikes but I wanted to check if anyone had any experience doing all or part of that route. We would be fine on trails but for a century ride, don't want to be overly slowed by crowded walking trails.

Thanks for any help you could provide.
The only really bad stretch is Hwy 17 just south of Charleston. For less and slower traffic you could take Hwy 61 toward Summerville but get off at Hwy 17 Alternate just southwest of Summerville. Google maps has a bike option and it lets you drag the route to Hwy 61. On a side note you should not miss Beaufort SC. Its a miniature Charleston.
Old 02-18-21, 02:27 PM
RichinSC1

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 5 Posts
Actually I just looked up the map and you can avoid a lot of Hwy 17 and without going far out of the way by simply getting on the West Ashley Greenway. This parallels Hwy 17. It will take you from the Ashley River to Main Road which is about 10 miles south of Charleston.