Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Request for Fender, Seat, Light & Rack Recommendations

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-18, 01:13 PM
Wookalia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Anyone that can help with a few parts recommendations, I appreciate it.

Specialized Stumpjumper. Older. Moving to Caribbean with it. Outer island, rougher roads, and some sludging through sand. Older frame, but good components, purposely bought so it has it where needed (components) but looks rough and doesn't scream steal me. Care only about function, not aesthetics. Touring tires, hilly windy location, purposely got bike with no front fork so power translates to road. Using bike as primary transportation, commuter, get groceries, etc. But don't want to totally neuter it. I'll have no car on island, this will be it, and there are some BIG hills.

What fenders to get? Never used them before. There are like one piece plastic kind that are higher off tire, with no support bar to tire axle, and then metal kind that hug closer to tire. In storms, rain, wet, I assume the closer ones keep you much drier. I'll be biking to work sometimes so don't want to be a filthy mess from sprayup if wet, but don't want something that can't take any sand or mud.

Best theft proof, superbright bike light, front and rear. I may be heading home some nights on a dark Caribbean island, NO street lights or anything, just my bike lights and head lamp.

Good comfy seat. I've gotten fat. I'll be thin soon on island, but until then love to get something nice and comfortable.

Front and rear racks. Ideally, both stronger kind that has bars connect to axles, but don't know if you can have fender and racks do this. I like the click on rear bags with fold out panniers, but not sure they are optimal. Can take inside easy to prevent theft, but compact. Maybe a large foldable basket better? Foldable basket front, pannier back? I'm not ever lugging 150 pounds of stuff, but will be going to local veggie mart in hot conditions, where food in panniers may get destroyed by heat, but open in basket might be better. They also make kind of pannier grocery bags, but they seem gimmicky. Theft major concern, and not touring the country or anything, on island 100 miles long, so probably don't need super tough traditional panniers. Need something more flexible and modular and minimalist. But there may be other days where it is raining bad, and want coverage of panniers. Not looking to spend fortune.

Anything else that I missed that I need for commuting? I have a computer backpack I may bike with, which would contain work stuff.

Thanks for anyone that can spare a moment for advice.
Old 03-04-18, 01:21 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked 2,541 Times in 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by Wookalia
..... purposely got bike with no front fork......
ATB Unicycle?

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 03-04-18, 01:23 PM
Wookalia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
ATB Unicycle?
LOL.
No front shock.
Thanks for correcting that. :-)
LOL.
Old 03-04-18, 02:12 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Before you shop for fenders, check your frame and fork for attachment points. If you have those, I'd recommend the full-coverage fenders, plus an extra, low-hanging mudflap for the front one. SKS makes all kinds, in sturdy plastic.

For a headlight, I favor one with the batteries built into it as opposed to being in a separate box; this makes it easier to detach when you park the bike. At the same time, it puts a bit of a limit on the runtime and power available, but there are some good ones out there. I got this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I really wanted one that ran on something like AA batteries available everywhere, but I couldn't find one that I thought would be bright enough, and two weak lights do not equal one strong one. I like this one a lot, and the organization is trying really hard to please customers--I answered a survey from them, mentioned a very slight disappointment (remote switch needs longer cord) and they refunded part of my purchase price.

Good tail-lights are cheap everywhere and most run on AA or AAA batteries. Most have a variety of attachment options; the ones I got have a frame-mounted bracket that the light's belt clip snaps into.

Be sure to put some passive reflectors on the bike too; reflective tape is pretty awesome these days.

That's all I can offer. You'll be shopping for a while because there's so much to choose from.
Old 03-04-18, 04:19 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
For a typical compact frame bike with sloping top tube, check out the Bontrager Backrack S. Excellent rack and great value at around $40-$50.

I've had one for more than 2 years on my errand bike and it's very sturdy. I routinely carry 40-50 lbs of stuff, including two 20 lb jugs of cat litter along with other groceries. It uses tubular struts rather than springy stamped metal -- although I'm not sure that's a big deal in terms of strength and stability in short lengths for a standard diamond frame. But a compact frame requires longer struts so those stiff aluminum tubes are probably a must.

Check around Amazon and other online retailers -- I think I've seen similar designs by other makers for a bit less. But the Bontrager Backrack S works so I'll recommend it.
Old 03-04-18, 04:40 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
NiteRider makes some nice lights. I have some old MiNewt.X2 lights that are outstanding. They don't make those now but the ones they have seem nice. Looks like there's a quick release to remove them when you're not on the bike.

Old 03-04-18, 05:22 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Just something to add about headlights: I did a lot of online shopping, looking for reviews, and the most frequent complaint was about mountings. The rubber-band types either don't hold well or they fail early. That's one of the reasons I chose the Intey.
Old 03-05-18, 08:30 AM
Tim_Iowa

Bikes: 1997 Rivendell Road Standard 650b conversion (tourer), 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10 (gravel/tour), 2013 Foundry Auger disc (CX/gravel), 2016 Cannondale Fat CAAD 2 (MTB/winter), 2011 Cannondale Flash 29er Lefty (trail MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Wookalia--

Rivendell has classic solutions to most of your problems.
https://www.rivbike.com/
Heavy duty racks, fenders, baskets, and lights, and it would all work fit well on your old Stumpy. Some of the stuff they sell is expensive but great (their frames, Nitto racks), other stuff is reasonably priced and still great (SKS fenders, Wald baskets).

I recommend the SKS P65 fender for wide 26" tires. Cheap and sturdy; I have them on my '88 Schwinn KOM-10 mtb/cruiser.

Rivendell inspired me to try dynamo lights (front hub is a generator) and I absolutely love them. Permanently attached, always charged, bright as heck.
You can get cheaper dynamos and lights from Euro dealers like bike24 or bike-discount.de.
Old 03-05-18, 08:54 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Cygolite is my go to for lighting.

For your purposes the red rear Cygolights are really nice and most have a hard plastic clip that comes off. So you hard mount the clip to the bike fro a sturdy mount, then the light snaps in and out of it easily. Then when you leave the bike outside, the light comes with you quickly.

Cygolites make a good front light too. You'll want brighter than then 460 lumen light for pitch black darkness. I have the 460 and it's great for my commute on semi lit rights as a 'be seen light'. In total darkness on a moonless night I'd want more. The down side is that they attach to the handlebars with a rubber strap. That's a 2 fold issue. With the rear light it goes on and off in about a half second total. With a strap it takes a little longer, then you have to reposition it. Might be annoying to you. I also find that the strap isn't enough to hold the light steady. It will spin on the handlebar. I tightened mine by putting a zip tie around the strap to the light is permanently fixed in place. But then I don't leave my bike outside unattended.

Just some thoughts on straps and such.

For rear lights...definitely recommend the cygolites. The 150 lumen rear lights are not playing around. You'll be seen from a mile away.
Old 03-05-18, 10:17 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
SKS, mudguards Thousands of different saddles for billions of differengt butts, to you have to sort that out..

Bike shop test fitting byvsitting on it is reccomended.. but name dropping,, Brooks Cambium C19, all weather..

Hub Dynamo powered lights, with a number of tamper resistant bolts .. hub skewers, and so forth..

Vs a battery light you take off and put in your pocket > one stays on and will work as soon as you move,
the other comes off and you have to recharge batteries..

Rack? want expensive steel , or cheap , or substantial aluminum.. what will you carry.. ??

have a bike shop to visit to test fit it to see if it's compatible?

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-05-18 at 10:22 AM.
Old 03-05-18, 12:00 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by Wookalia
LOL.
No front shock.
Thanks for correcting that. :-)
LOL.
Don't laugh. I saw a guy on a group ride in Italy who was riding a MTB with no front fork and (obviously) no front wheel. I kid you not. The group was coming the other way so I didn't have time to take a photo.
Old 03-06-18, 11:43 PM
markf

Bikes: '93 Bridgestone MB-3, '88 Marinoni road bike, '00 Marinoni Piuma, '01 Riv A/R

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Like Tim Iowa and fietsbob said, hub dynamo lighting systems are the way to go if you ride in the dark on a regular basis. If you can afford them, Schmidt hub dynamos and Edelux headlights are the way to go. If money is an issue, the higher end Shimano hub generators are almost as good as the Schmidt for a good bit less money. Likewise Busch & Mueller headlights are almost as good as the Schmidt E-delux for less money. I run a Busch & Mueller dynamo powered taillight that works fine, along with a Planet Bike Superflash that recharges off a USB connection. Check out Peter White Cycles (Peter White Cycles Home Page) for loads of information on bicycle lighting systems, especially generator powered. Reflective tape is good, too, it seems to last longer than plastic reflectors and is easier to replace. I've got tape on my crank arms and on the rims between the spoke holes. A rear rack is a good place for reflector tape, too. Nitto racks are extremely strong and extremely expensive; SKS fenders are excellent value for money.
Old 03-11-18, 07:28 PM
Wookalia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A Thank You

Thanks to everyone who posted.
Some good advice and it is very helpful.
Just wanted to say thanks.
Any other advice, please keep it coming.
Making final purchase decision next week.
Old 03-11-18, 07:34 PM
Wookalia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
Curious how the natives get around. When in Rome...
With cars, LOL.
LOL.
LOL.
I'm going there on the cheap, and looking to live a simple life. :-)