Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

FANY Ride Day 4!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

FANY Ride Day 4!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-19, 04:57 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
FANY Ride Day 4!

A picture perfect day to ride 71 miles with 4800’ of hills. It was 59 degrees at the start and mid 70’s at the finish. He went south from Cambridge to Averill Park. And we had a nice tailwind for a lot of the ride.

The 70 milers were treated to rides around several lakes near Avernill Park.

The 70 milers were told to look for the “Oreo” cows at about 59 miles. They are a Scottish breed and are black with a wide white band around their bodies. The Belted Galloway is a traditional Scottish breed of beef cattle. It derives from the Galloway cattle of the Galloway region of south-western Scotland, and was established as a separate breed in 1921. It is adapted to living on the poor upland pastures and windswept moorlands of the region.

As I rode by the farm the cows were in a lower pasture and were too far off the road for a good photo. The farmer was out mowing the front lawn at his house. I pulled over and he stopped his mower next to the road and I asked him if any of his cows were near the road. Unfortunately they weren’t. We talked for another minute and he said “Oh wait, I have a rarity in the barn. There are very young twins only two days old with their momma. One of the twins is black and white and the second is a rare silver and white. Would you like to see them?” Gotta love farmers!

Tomorrow we ride to Woodstock. I did some research looking for Max Yasgur’s Farm where the concert was held 50 years ago. It’s NOT in Woodstock********** It’s located about 60 miles away in Bethel. Just darn....Apparently it was called Woodstock as the money behind the event was from Woodstock Ventures. I was really looking forward to visiting the field.......

Old 07-24-19, 05:42 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Thanks for the daily reports JPPE. I love the pics!
Old 07-24-19, 06:07 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3240 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
The original intent was to have the ‘69 Concert in Woodstock but could not get the permit. Thus they relocated to Bethel and Yasgurs farm. The rest is history.

There’s a local legendary climb just north of Woodstock called Plattkill Cove Rd. Was featured on one of the Tour De Pont rides when it swung thru upstate NY. Steep.
Old 07-24-19, 10:36 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4426 Post(s)
Liked 4,528 Times in 3,030 Posts
I can’t wait for the weather to cool down here. Great pictures that lets everyone see the rides that you are taking.
Old 07-25-19, 04:53 AM
Greenhil

Bikes: 2018 Kona Rove NRB, 2121 Kona Libre

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 26 Posts
Thanks for the posts and photos. After all the wet weather we’ve had in NE and then the heat, your ride is happening on the best week of summer.
Old 07-25-19, 06:45 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
Again, making me very homesick. The wife and I would drive down and go to the shops and stop for lunch. Beautiful country and great photos.
Thanks, Frank.
Old 07-25-19, 11:03 PM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Calf pix appreciated, especially the 'silver' variant. We used to have 3 different places locally where
belted Galloways could be seen but now down to one. Basically a hobby cow, so an expensive hobby.
Old 07-26-19, 10:53 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18419 Post(s)
Liked 15,560 Times in 7,332 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
I was really looking forward to visiting the field.......
I rode there in 2001 during a day ride from Port Jervis, NY. If it's any consolation, I've heard there is now a lot of development in that area. On the way back to Port Jervis we stopped by some training center that had some connection with Lance Armstrong. Maybe the guy who ran it used to train/coach him at some point. I really cannot remember. There was a framed, autographed world champion jersey hanging on the wall. He had given it as a gift.
Old 07-26-19, 01:15 PM
zowie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Woodstock is way better than Bethel, regardless that the festival didn't take place there.