Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Gear Acquisition Syndrome - Anyone Catching it?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Gear Acquisition Syndrome - Anyone Catching it?

Old 07-15-19, 10:24 PM
jim_pridx

Bikes: 2010 Bob Brown Cycles tandem, 2019 Co-Mo Carrera tandem, 1980 Richardson tandem, 2014 Cervelo R3, 2018 Specialized Roubaix, 1985 Bianchi Campione, 1983 Trek 720, 2020 Trek Fuel EX8, 2021 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
@jim_pridx those are some amazing looking guitars. Excellent work! Are you selling them, or is it a hobby of passion?
Thanks for the nice comments! I was briefly working with a speaker cabinet maker when we decided to start building some guitars, but he has since moved to southern Texas. I think we built about 12 guitars in all, and I think my friend still owns one or two while I have two as well. The rest were all sold. For me it was about the thrill of working in this guy's shop while having the access to some pretty great tools for building guitars. For my friend it was about making some cash. Long story short, my friend grew very tired of Wisconsin winters, so one day it all ended when he just decided to leave town. That was probably a good thing, for there really isn't much money to be made in building guitars at the level we were at.

I'm currently 65 and have been playing since I was 12. I played for a living from 18 to 38, but I still continue to gig regularly. It's definitely a life-long passion, but I suppose the building part is probably more of a hobby. The parts guitars were mostly experiments at first - mostly for fun - but then I found that one can assemble a pretty decent guitar at an affordable price if you have a few basic skills in knowing how to set them up properly.

Funny, but I've been a bike fanatic since I can remember, and I think it's safe to say that playing guitar and riding bike have always been passions of mine. I'm always tweaking my bikes, too......LOL. These internet forums don't really help the GAS issues, either.....
Old 07-16-19, 12:45 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
I'm way past GAS for bicycle stuff.

Now I need to find a use for all the bike stuff I've accumulated since 1980
Old 07-16-19, 05:39 PM
notmyke

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
There's the old joke that goes something to the effect of "the proper number of bikes one owns can be expressed as "x-1", where x = the number which will lead to divorce.

I'd suggest the same goes for associated accoutrement.
Old 07-22-19, 01:27 AM
Marci

Bikes: My Day 6, Big Red.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Funny odd not ha ha

Originally Posted by jim_pridx
Well, not to be turning this into a guitar thread (sorry 'bout that), but I've done just that! The first two photos are a couple of builds that I did with a friend of mine (now owned by others), and the last photo is a bunch of partscasters I've assembled over the years. I use the parts guitars more often for gigging than any of the other guitars I own. If I had a decent wood shop, I'd probably get back into building guitars from scratch again.

My friend that got me back on a bike after 40 years off riding horses has a Bike AND Guitar store in Florence, OR. I always thought it an odd combo but perhaps not. LOL As for spending a lot, bike stuff so far has nothing on horses. I am so grateful that my bike doesn't poop, or require me to drag tons of heavy bales anywhere.
Likes For Marci:
Old 07-22-19, 03:34 PM
jim_pridx

Bikes: 2010 Bob Brown Cycles tandem, 2019 Co-Mo Carrera tandem, 1980 Richardson tandem, 2014 Cervelo R3, 2018 Specialized Roubaix, 1985 Bianchi Campione, 1983 Trek 720, 2020 Trek Fuel EX8, 2021 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Marci
My friend that got me back on a bike after 40 years off riding horses has a Bike AND Guitar store in Florence, OR. I always thought it an odd combo but perhaps not. LOL As for spending a lot, bike stuff so far has nothing on horses. I am so grateful that my bike doesn't poop, or require me to drag tons of heavy bales anywhere.
I don't know, but one connection that seems to make sense with bicycles and guitars is that both of them can be easily tinkered with. I'm always tweaking something on one or the other, but I've always enjoyed that sort of thing, too. As far as a combo bike/guitar shop goes, though, that does sound a bit unusual. Then again, I'm sure there are many other businesses that are much more over the top than that......LOL.
Likes For jim_pridx:
Old 07-22-19, 04:52 PM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts
I have four hobbies I'm passionate about: Cycling, Guitar, Espresso/Coffee, and Home Theater. If I win Powerball, you'll all be witness to the opening of the first Home Theater, Cycling, Guitar Coffee Shop in history.

Oh and to bring this back somewhat on topic, I just placed an order for Bontrager Aeolus Pro 3 TLR Disc carbon wheels for my 2018 SuperSix Evo Di2. GAS strikes again.
Likes For CarloM:
Old 07-24-19, 08:28 PM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts
Okay, I think I'm done for now. No more purchasing for the foreseeable future. Only riding.

Bontrager Montrose Pro CF saddle. Bontrager Aeolus Pro 3 Disc TLR wheels. Continental 700x28 5000 TL tires.

I'd never weighed the bike before, I knew the SuperSix was light, but it has disc brakes, etc. Well I asked the LBS to weigh it as you see above, two plastic bottle cages, portable tire pump, Shimano XT M8000 pedals, two rubber light holders: 18.01 lbs. Cannondale has historically not shared the weights of most of their bikes on their website, so I expected the weight to be (relatively) high. But this means if you remove the pedal and accessory weight, this is basically a 17 lbs bike now. Weight Weenie mode: engaged.
Likes For CarloM:
Old 07-24-19, 08:44 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
If you ask me? No... not at all....

Please, don't ask my wife....
Likes For Digger Goreman:
Old 07-25-19, 07:16 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts

I have no idea what you people are talking about. I would never let myself get caught up on that kind of thing. I am leaving out the many Canon cameras and necessary attachments and lenses, audio equipment, and TOOLS. The last knife photo with the paracord,was my first forged handmade knife. Just beginning to add to my bikes.
Frank.