Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Sidi or Lake?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Sidi or Lake?

Old 08-03-19, 04:01 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
Sidi or Lake?

I have a pair of Specialized shoes that have been solid but I wouldn't say they are exceptional. They are 5-6 years old and I'm thinking about buying a new pair in the off season. Just wondering what the highs and lows of Sidi and Lake have been here. I should mention that I'm pretty average in that I take a 10.5 (45 Euro) with an average width.
Old 08-03-19, 04:15 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3879 Post(s)
Liked 1,931 Times in 1,378 Posts
Since I graduated to Real Shoes, Sidi Dominator is all I've used. I know for sure they go 50,000 miles without showing much wear or any change in fit or stiffness. Almost all the long distance riders here wear them. Maybe just to fit in? Or maybe not. I like the replaceable buckles and straps since I've had to replace them due to go-downs. Pretty much ruins the buckle on that side. I stock spares now. The MTB sole makes it possible to walk around normally.
Old 08-03-19, 04:29 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
SIDI Wire Carbon. I have diabetes and in order to be able to ride over long distances, a well-fitting shoe is essential.

I like these so much that I bought an extra pair as a spare.

All the other shoes that I have tried have been very uncomfortable during long rides.

YMMV
Old 08-03-19, 04:35 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4783 Post(s)
Liked 3,905 Times in 2,539 Posts
I wouldn't ask us. It's your feet. Try them both on. My feet love the lasts of Lake shoes. I have a bunch of them. (I run three different cleat systems and like having both laced and strap/buckle pairs.) I periodically go out and try on fancier shoes but I rarely find a fit my feet actually like except on those Lakes that are too inexpensive to be called "good shoes" (though they are well made and last me a long time). I have a couple of pairs of really good, light shoes but I rarely wear them and it is always "let me have those Lakes" when I do.

Edit: 130 miles riding fixed is no big deal for my feet in those Lakes.

Last edited by 79pmooney; 08-03-19 at 04:40 PM.
Old 08-03-19, 05:08 PM
bruce19

I should have mentioned that I use Speedplay Zeros and have no interest in changing.
Old 08-03-19, 05:18 PM
RShantz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 19 Posts
I tried Lake's earlier & they just didn't do it for me. I came from Specialized. The Lake's have a very large toe box. Just something to keep in mind since you are coming from Specialized also.
Old 08-03-19, 05:36 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
Just wondering what the highs and lows of Sidi and Lake have been here.
Sidi shoes are known for their excellent heel retention. The shape of the shoe at the heel is fantastic. The higher end models have adjustable heel cups.

I can't speak to Lake shoes but would like to try a pair.

-Tim-
Old 08-03-19, 06:01 PM
jideta

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 74 Posts
I got Dominator 7s and some Lake MX228s.
I like them both though I wear the Lakes more. Mainly cause they are new I suppose.
I got the Lakes for I wanted something a bit more low key.
I don't think you can go wrong with either.
I think next time I go Lake I'm ordering a half size larger. This just me and the ones I have I actually have no problem with. Just want a bit more length.
I came from Spesh also.
Old 08-04-19, 12:27 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
I have been using Sidi Dominator since 1990. The plastic or non leather cup at the back of the shoe protects them from being torn up when you sit and put your legs forward on pavement.
Old 08-04-19, 09:15 AM
Bluechip

Bikes: Salsa Fargo Ti, Cannondale CAAD9, Carbonello Fixed Gear, Specialized Epic Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
I went from a mid level Sidi to an upper level Lake and have been very happy with the change. Try on a few from each brand to see which fits better for you. If you can't find a local shop that has a good selection try an online retailer that has a good return policy. Also there are some Lake models that have a four hole mount for the Speedplay cleats. I've never found a decent deal on those in my size however, but I am always looking.
Old 08-04-19, 01:38 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Sidis are heavy- like strapping a CO2 and and inner tube to each foot

vs my Giros.
Old 08-04-19, 04:24 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Sidi= slippers 🥿

I have owned both and Sidi’s fit me like gloves
but every foot is different
Likes For thehammerdog:
Old 08-04-19, 04:46 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
I started with Lake, but the heel fell apart prematurely. Up to that point, I liked them. However, SIDI was the big buzz around here a few years ago so I switched to SIDI. They were fine for about two years. Then I started to have some pain in the toe area. I noticed that I didn't have the pain when wearing an old pair of Specialized shoes. So I made a comparison and found that SIDI has a European toe box, i.e. it narrows quickly from the point of the ball of the foot. Specialized has an American toe box, that is, wider. If you have narrow feet, SIDIs should work fine. If your feet are wide, SIDIs might not fit that great. Average feet, YMMV. I wear EU45 and now went to Specialized.
Old 08-05-19, 06:32 AM
bruce19

There's a decent deal on Sidi Alba road shoes. Anyone have any experience?

FWIW I am trying to research which models work with my Speedplays. I'm in research mode.

Last edited by bruce19; 08-05-19 at 06:38 AM.
Old 08-05-19, 07:00 AM
Steelman54 

Bikes: Allegro Model 77, Gitane Team Pro SLX, Waterford R2200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 38 Posts
Sidi Genius for me, but i have narrow feet. You need to see what fits your feet, though Sidi makes the Mega (wide) version. My Sidi's have thousands of miles on them and look like they will go many more.
Old 08-05-19, 07:01 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
Sidis are heavy- like strapping a CO2 and and inner tube to each foot

vs my Giros.
Lake's are often heavier.

I've put extensive miles on Sidi, Specialized, Shimano, Lake and Riivo. I've also tried Giro, Northwave, Bont, and Fizik.

I generally found that Sidi and Specialized fit very different. If you liked the Specialized, you probably won't like the Sidi. Shimanos are kind of in between. My Riivos are custom - so they don't count. The others were all way too narrow for me.

As for Lake, they have three lasts. Some have wider toe boxes than others. Lake does a great job posting the length and width of each last on its website. I use the widest last possible, and it's ok. The heel fits pretty well, despite being very wide at the toe box. The high end Lakes are really, really nice. I wish they fit me.

In regards to quality, they are all solid shoes.
Old 08-05-19, 06:13 PM
bruce19

Well, I stumbled upon a sale and ordered a pair of Sidi Kaos Air shoes. In a few days I'll know if this was a good decision.
Old 08-06-19, 07:36 AM
SpinClassSara

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Lake was my first pair and I still love them. Yes, they're heavy.
Old 08-06-19, 07:47 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
for what it's worth, sidi makes a speedplay specific model cycling shoe, that eliminates adapters and shims.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 08-06-19, 08:15 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 854 Times in 483 Posts
I just got a pair of genius 6.6 mega that are Speedplay specific. They are 700g including cleats.

My worn-out carbon soled Diadora's they are replacing are 685g with Look Keo cleats.

Right now I like the new shoes but they're new. It's hard to compare to a super broken in pair. Fwiw, I've never needed a wide shoe in my life. With the Sidi's, I had to get the Mega.
Old 08-07-19, 03:52 PM
bruce19

I got my Sidi Kaos Carbon Air shoes today. Look like serious quality and aesthetically beautiful. But, the 6 out of 6 reviewers who said they fit true to size are absolutely crazy. Every shoe or moto boot I've ever bought have been a Euro 45 or US 10 1/2 and that's what I ordered. These are seriously too small. Back they go for a 46.
Old 08-07-19, 08:45 PM
colnago62

Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Lake's are often heavier.

I've put extensive miles on Sidi, Specialized, Shimano, Lake and Riivo. I've also tried Giro, Northwave, Bont, and Fizik.

I generally found that Sidi and Specialized fit very different. If you liked the Specialized, you probably won't like the Sidi. Shimanos are kind of in between. My Riivos are custom - so they don't count. The others were all way too narrow for me.

As for Lake, they have three lasts. Some have wider toe boxes than others. Lake does a great job posting the length and width of each last on its website. I use the widest last possible, and it's ok. The heel fits pretty well, despite being very wide at the toe box. The high end Lakes are really, really nice. I wish they fit me.

In regards to quality, they are all solid shoes.
Were the Bonte too narrow?
Old 08-07-19, 08:51 PM
colnago62

Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
I got my Sidi Kaos Carbon Air shoes today. Look like serious quality and aesthetically beautiful. But, the 6 out of 6 reviewers who said they fit true to size are absolutely crazy. Every shoe or moto boot I've ever bought have been a Euro 45 or US 10 1/2 and that's what I ordered. These are seriously too small. Back they go for a 46.
It is not the length, it’s the volume. They are just so narrow. The Mega seem to be average width of most other shoes.
Old 08-08-19, 04:36 AM
bruce19

Originally Posted by colnago62
It is not the length, it’s the volume. They are just so narrow. The Mega seem to be average width of most other shoes.
I'm about to find out. They are a bit tight but they were also seriously short for 45s.
Old 08-08-19, 06:44 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
I wore a 45 in Sidi, but a 44 in pretty much everything else. Giro's also run very small, in my experience.

I also found that the Sidi Megas weren't really wider, they were just bigger. It was as if instead of making a 45 wider, they just gave me a 46 and called it a 45 Mega. My forefoot is very wide. My heel is normal. So, the Megas really didn't work for me because the heel was much too loose.

Originally Posted by colnago62
Were the Bonte too narrow?
Yes, Bonts are too narrow. Regular and wide. They post the widths on their website, but even the wides aren't quite wide enough. To be fair, I have only purchased and tried a cheap pair of regular width Bonts and not the wide ones. I didn't feel like ordering them and trying to mold them wide enough only to find out it wouldn't work since once you mold them, you cannot return them.

Lake's widest option is just wide enough for me.

I really do have duck feet.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.