Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

🍽️ What's for dinner?

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

🍽️ What's for dinner?

Old 10-08-18, 04:03 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
What is your cheat meal?
Hot spicy chicken wings...or Pizza topped with everything I can think of...or Haggen Dazs ice cream...I only indulge in one of those once in a while...The thing to remember is that one persons cheat meal can be another persons regular daily meal, some people seem to do just fine eating things that others consider as unhealthy cheat meals.
Old 10-12-18, 05:33 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Smoked Sausage & Cheesy Rice

Olive oil and skillet dinner. My two favorite words.

The Recipe

https://bakeatmidnite.com/smoked-sausage-cheesy-rice/
Old 10-14-18, 08:45 PM
KraneXL

Malay Fried Rice

I'm not the biggest fan of curry but when you prepare it yourself you get to adjust as you see fit.

The Receipt

https://bakeatmidnite.com/malay-fried-rice/
Old 10-20-18, 10:17 AM
KraneXL

I tried the Tennessee deep fried burger (2:23). I used two cheese: sharp cheddar and aged Swiss and it was fantastic (dressings optional). Will try the other two in the coming weeks. Cheat days only folks. See below.

WARNING: IF YOU ALWAYS EAT LIKE THIS, YOU'LL LOOK LIKE THE HOST.

Hmm, 100 year old oil? And to think I have reservations after the second use.

Last edited by KraneXL; 11-01-18 at 05:17 PM.
Old 10-28-18, 07:33 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3882 Post(s)
Liked 1,934 Times in 1,380 Posts
I'm developing considerable respect for the pros who do food photography. Must be hard to do. Or maybe it's just the presentation. One of my wife's typical pizzas:

Tonight, it's wheat, bean, and celery au gratin, a casserole.
Old 10-29-18, 01:10 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I'm developing considerable respect for the pros who do food photography. Must be hard to do. Or maybe it's just the presentation. One of my wife's typical pizzas:

Tonight, it's wheat, bean, and celery au gratin, a casserole.
Magnificent! I thought quiche at first, but the pizza looks just as appetizing.

As for the food photography, its all about the presentation. It typically requires a two person crew: One specializes in creating the perfect setting, while the other takes the photos.
Old 10-29-18, 01:41 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Magnificent! I thought quiche at first, but the pizza looks just as appetizing.

As for the food photography, its all about the presentation. It typically requires a two person crew: One specializes in creating the perfect setting, while the other takes the photos.
I thought candle-lit, diffuse dim lighting and no flash was just right. My "crew" created the pizza while I loafed.
Old 10-29-18, 02:35 PM
KraneXL

I thought candle-lit, diffuse dim lighting and no flash was just right. My "crew" created the pizza while I loafed.
Well, typically its consider high-key lighting for food. But that's just a fundamental not an absolute.

The candles were the reason I first thought quiche. But it makes a brilliant advertising idea for selling pizza.
Old 10-29-18, 05:04 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Well, typically its consider high-key lighting for food. But that's just a fundamental not an absolute.

The candles were the reason I first thought quiche. But it makes a brilliant advertising idea for selling pizza.
That's what we're doing here - selling the idea of good food.
Old 11-01-18, 05:15 PM
KraneXL

Indeed, and I'm always up for new food ideas -- as long as its not too complicated. I'll be trying the pizza (as soon as I have all the ingredients), and the quiche it reminded me of soon.
Old 11-01-18, 09:33 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Indeed, and I'm always up for new food ideas -- as long as its not too complicated. I'll be trying the pizza (as soon as I have all the ingredients), and the quiche it reminded me of soon.
To challenge you a bit more, that's a whole wheat crust using my mom's decades old sourdough starter. One of my fave toppings is pesto and garlic (6 cloves).
Old 11-14-18, 03:00 AM
KraneXL

🍍 🍌 Pineapple Banana Smoothie

Took a chance and dumped in a cup of fresh pineapple (which I have eaten in decades) I picked up from the supermarket this week. Wasn't sure how the two would mix but it turned out to be delicious! This one goes to the top of the list.

Will try adding strawberries next time -- although they don't tend to penetrate chocolate protein very well. Maybe I'll wait and try it with the vanilla instead?

Last edited by KraneXL; 11-26-18 at 06:47 PM.
Old 11-26-18, 06:43 PM
KraneXL

🐔 Crispy Baked Chicken Thighs

Recipe

Last edited by KraneXL; 11-29-18 at 10:33 AM.
Old 11-26-18, 06:48 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
I am participating in the Dean Ornish cardiac rehab program. I have class tonight.

Tonight we are having a lentil chili, baked potatoe, and a salad. For dessert we are having mixed fruit.

Amazingly enough, my new plant-based diet is very satisfying.

Old 11-26-18, 07:27 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
I am participating in the Dean Ornish cardiac rehab program. I have class tonight.

Tonight we are having a lentil chili, baked potatoe, and a salad. For dessert we are having mixed fruit.

Amazingly enough, my new plant-based diet is very satisfying.

Sounds yummy. Photos?
Old 11-27-18, 01:03 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Sounds yummy. Photos?
Here you go...

Old 11-27-18, 01:05 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Sounds yummy. Photos?

Here you go...

Old 11-27-18, 12:13 PM
KraneXL

Now that looks tantalizing. ^^

I had fresh pineapple and strawberries just last week (see smoothie). When you mentioned mixed fruit I envisioned that high school canned fruit cocktail.

Old 12-09-18, 02:05 PM
KraneXL

To challenge you a bit more, that's a whole wheat crust using my mom's decades old sourdough starter. One of my fave toppings is pesto and garlic (6 cloves).
I love those too, but I only have on clove left. I have some wheat flour in the cupboards, but I've never made dough before and I know there's a technique to preparing it. I have watch some video so it doesn't look too hard.

I'm not too sure about the sauce either since its 50/50 as to prepared or make it from scratch. I do have enough tomatoes from my garden. Maybe I should just buy it? I mean who still makes pie crusts these days?

I was going to cook a carrot cake before, but it doesn't look like my building is going to have a Christmas party but that scratch recipe is exhausting.

I prepared a buttermilk cornbread for the Thanksgiving party in my building which was simple and quick but ended up falling asleep before the event started and missed all the food. Guess that's what I get for staying up all night.
Old 12-10-18, 03:26 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

I love those too, but I only have on clove left. I have some wheat flour in the cupboards, but I've never made dough before and I know there's a technique to preparing it. I have watch some video so it doesn't look too hard.

I'm not too sure about the sauce either since its 50/50 as to prepared or make it from scratch. I do have enough tomatoes from my garden. Maybe I should just buy it? I mean who still makes pie crusts these days?

I was going to cook a carrot cake before, but it doesn't look like my building is going to have a Christmas party but that scratch recipe is exhausting.

I prepared a buttermilk cornbread for the Thanksgiving party in my building which was simple and quick but ended up falling asleep before the event started and missed all the food. Guess that's what I get for staying up all night.
My wife makes pie crust, bread, sauce, ketchup, and salsa, all from scratch. Control of ingredients is everything in food preparation. I suppose we both make everything from scratch. It takes both of us to make a lot of this stuff, mostly a combined judgement thing. She's the pie crust queen, though: whole wheat, butter, and oil pie crust which is absolutely the best crust I've ever tasted.
Old 12-11-18, 01:10 AM
KraneXL

My wife makes pie crust, bread, sauce, ketchup, and salsa, all from scratch. [color]Control of ingredients is everything in food preparation[/color]. I suppose we both make everything from scratch. It takes both of us to make a lot of this stuff, mostly a combined judgement thing. She's the pie crust queen, though: whole wheat, butter, and oil pie crust which is absolutely the best crust I've ever tasted.
How right you are. You never know what you're getting in your food otherwise. Modern appliances makes from scratch easy, but all I have at the moment is my bare hands.
Old 12-11-18, 11:19 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

How right you are. You never know what you're getting in your food otherwise. Modern appliances makes from scratch easy, but all I have at the moment is my bare hands.
Don't need modern. Use what your gramma used, because that's how you want to cook. Don't use anything she didn't use. You need a selection of wooden spoons and spatulas, measuring spoons, measuring dry and wet cups, a kneading board or counter - wood works really well. A rolling pin, preferably ball bearing. Bowls, big selection. Grater. I can't think of anything else. Oh - someone to show you how. It's kinda like the difference between having a coach and being self-coached. On your own, it's going to be trial and error. Kneaded bread dough when pinched should feel like your ear lobe. When a finger tip is inserted in fully risen bread dough, it won't bounce back, the hole will just sit here. Saute means "jumping:" when it stops jumping (sizzling) it's done. That kind of thing. There might be a local kitchen store that offers classes.
Old 12-20-18, 06:24 PM
KraneXL

Finally perfected my corn bread recipe. Have been trying subtle little tweaks and adjustment on the ingredient and upon my latest results resulted in a moist and flavorful butter milk cornbread.

I know, I know, there's a hundred different way to make cornbread. But I prefer the 50/50 ratio of flour to corn meal method. My results come from the supplementary ingredient such as whether to use butter, sweeteners, baking soda, baking power, salt, etc. and to what amounts.

Personally, I like my bread to rise so I use the maximum amount of baking powder. I also switched to a wheat flour which results in a slight robust flavor that I am pleased with. I also bought some white meal as an experiment, but have yet to test the results of that mix. When I do, I'll let you know. Stay tuned.

In other news, cooked some baked chicken last night and it is sooo good! Bought a new season Weber Roasted Garlic & Herbs, I then added olive oil, fresh squeezed lemon juice and butter to the pan. During the final 10 minutes of cooking I turned the over up to broil and that resulted in a crispy skin (I generally take the skin off, but I left it on this time)

EDIT: For phot.

Pork loan chops

Recipe

Last edited by KraneXL; 12-21-18 at 05:32 PM.
Old 12-25-18, 06:08 PM
KraneXL

I know there are 4 but I only ate 3 of them. The Granny Smith are too tart so I keep them decoration. They also last infinity. Which is another reason I'm afraid to eat them.

Red Delicious: more crispy, dense peel, very sweet flesh. The quintessential apple
Golden Delicious: mellow flesh, pear-like texture, soft peel, vanilla overtones
Honeycrisp: true to its name with honey highlights, medium texture, soft peel, sweet, very juicy. This one was organic and they spoil fast.

My Christmas dinner. Should have remember the market closes early on Christmas eve.
Old 12-26-18, 03:33 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
I try not to eat any fruit on low carbs day, but I get tired of having to throw them out ...
Simple thing that I do when fresh fruits are nearing the end of their useful "fresh" life: freeze them. They're perfect additions for a fat/protein blend that has a little bit of fruit.

Or, whenever I pick up a large amount of sale/bargain fruits, I typically freeze most of it. Have to, else it wouldn't last.

My own preferences for fruit for such blends: berries of all types, some bananas, some oranges, occasionally mangoes.

An example blend:

Avocado, whole milk yogurt (with milk/cultures only), nuts, ground flax seeds, hemp seeds, , handful of frozen fruits, juice from a couple of limes, a quality whey protein isolate powder, with a nut "milk" (ie, Silk nut/protein milk) or water. Can add a small amount of spices, if desired (ie, cinnamon, nutmeg). Depending on the amounts of ingredients, makes between 1-3 servings. Easy to alter the components to have it more fatty, more carb heavy, whatever. Great meal replacement for leaner days.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.