Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Help pick out a bike?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Help pick out a bike?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-19, 06:31 PM
Tango16

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Help pick out a bike?

Hey guys,

Was wondering what you'd suggest.

Looking to ride approx 6mi a day on road and have the ability to take the bike out on some gravel trails on the weekends.
Local bike shop carries Trek, and Specialized... which has me looking at the Trek DS 2/3, or the Specialized Crosstrail.
Since I don't know much about bicycles... I've been looking at a lot of reviews... and was really hoping to hear from folks like you all that know much more.
If necessary, I can travel to a larger city to try to find a larger variety of bicycle if there is a better option for the price.

Edit: forgot about a REI up in Dallas... so I guess I also have access to the Canondales that they carry.

Thanks!
Tango16

Last edited by Tango16; 07-08-19 at 06:52 PM.
Old 07-08-19, 07:09 PM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
I ride Cannondale Quick but around here the big names are Trek, Specialized, and Giant. From what I have found the equivalent models across the lines of the big names can be fairly close with regards to the mechanicals. I have found that posters here have real opinions about what is good and what is not so that is for others to comment. I found that in the Quick line the models up to the four are good for light unpaved to paved. From the three on up the models are more of a flat bar road bike. Above and beyond all of this the fit is what is the most important part of the equation. If the bike fits you and you are comfortable you will ride more and enjoy your time. Try to ride them and see what you find most comfortable and if you can discern, which one has the ability to be adjusted later on as you find ways to tweak the fit just a little better.
Go test ride and see what you like, Frank.
Old 07-08-19, 07:18 PM
Tango16

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Helderberg
I ride Cannondale Quick but around here the big names are Trek, Specialized, and Giant. From what I have found the equivalent models across the lines of the big names can be fairly close with regards to the mechanicals. I have found that posters here have real opinions about what is good and what is not so that is for others to comment. I found that in the Quick line the models up to the four are good for light unpaved to paved. From the three on up the models are more of a flat bar road bike. Above and beyond all of this the fit is what is the most important part of the equation. If the bike fits you and you are comfortable you will ride more and enjoy your time. Try to ride them and see what you find most comfortable and if you can discern, which one has the ability to be adjusted later on as you find ways to tweak the fit just a little better.
Go test ride and see what you like, Frank.
Hey man, really appreciate the reply. Will definitely be doing test rides soon. More I read the more it seems that the specs don't matter nearly as much as what feels good to the rider. Only way to know is riding. Thanks again.
Likes For Tango16:
Old 07-08-19, 10:14 PM
Rollmeaway

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try the Specialized ROLL, just bought a 2019 in June and liked it so much we purchased my wife one as well!
Old 07-09-19, 01:29 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 761 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Tango16
More I read the more it seems that the specs don't matter nearly as much as what feels good to the rider. Only way to know is riding. Thanks again.
I'd say that sums it up well, yes! Test ride a bunch of bikes and see what feels the best to you. It's likely you'll narrow the wide field of choices to just one or two pretty quickly.