Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tell me about acts of heroism and kindness done by bicyclists.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 07-14-19, 06:02 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 261 Posts

I lived in a student town in the mid eighties. I and several friends rode our mountain bikes a couple times a week in the area. One morning at the end of the ride as we were coming down the street in front of the University a lady did a right turn out of a parking lot. On top of her car was here child of a few days old in one of those child carriers with the plastic handle. One of us had seen the problem before the others noticed and he sprinted up to the car prior to mom slowing down for the light. He managed to grab the kid but he couldn't make the light but avoided being hit and brought the child up to the lady who was very emotional.

I have got several ladies back on the rode by changing out there flat for the spare while out on my bicycle. I was doing rough and finish work for an electrician in a large housing project in Florida and had my cordless power tools with me in my bob. One day on the way home I saw a beamer with a flat. I crossed the rode and offered to help. The thin female with the butch and the attitude told me she was a layer and I must of done something to cause her to get a flat so I could charge her money. I called the Sheriffs department and let them know she was there. Shortly after I came home a deputy pulled up the drive. I walked out to talk to him I told him what had happened and he told me that she had chased away two toe truck operators. Ive always wondered if she would have acted that way if it had been a woman who offered to help or female toe truck drivers.
Old 07-14-19, 07:39 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
I changed a flat (bike) tire for an older (then me) guy in Brooklyn one day, when bike commuting home. He had a tube and a small pump but no clue how to use either and in any event didn’t have a tire lever. He wanted to help, so I let him for a bit, then took over and finished. I blew him away when I used a CO2 and had the tire inflated in a jiffy. I told him he should watch some You-Tubes and practice in his garage.

Also helped an an older rider who could not remember how to get his rear wheel back in the bike after a flat, that he was successful changing. He was sitting at the roadside stumped and as always I asked if he was OK. It had been years since his last flat.

Then I offered a tube to a rider stuck on the local highway service road in Long Island. He and a buddy had ridden out from the center of Brooklyn on an early April day. Mr. Bike Flat stated it was his first ride of the season and would be 50-55. His buddy had been riding all winter and suggested the route. Mr Bike Flat didn’t want the tube really, he was done and wanted a cab ride back to the City.
Old 07-14-19, 10:31 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick
One day on the way home I saw a beamer with a flat. I crossed the rode and offered to help. The thin female with the butch and the attitude told me she was a layer and I must of done something to cause her to get a flat so I could charge her money. I called the Sheriffs department and let them know she was there. Shortly after I came home a deputy pulled up the drive. I walked out to talk to him I told him what had happened and he told me that she had chased away two toe truck operators. Ive always wondered if she would have acted that way if it had been a woman who offered to help or female toe truck drivers.
Some people seem to report having more than their share of dramatic experiences with motorists and the police when cycling.
Old 07-14-19, 10:52 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
Hmmm...

I've pushed a few cars off of the road.

Probably push started a couple of cars when you could still push start cars.

Picked up my share of glass, nails, and screws off of the road.

(from a local off-street bike path a few days ago).

Oh, I found a couple of women who had lost their paddles while floating down the Willamette River, and managed to get to the bike path side of the river. I had my bike trailer with me at the time, we deflated their boats, and walked the boats to the nearest road access, about a half mile away.

So far no saving babies, but I'll keep my eyes open for babies in distress.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 07-14-19, 11:01 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
One spring day, I was out JRA on my fixed gear with bolt-on hubs, when boom! the rear tire flatted. No prob, I had my tools! Unfortunately, I had not checked to see what was in my pack...and my mini adjustable wrench rusted shut over the winter. Without the wrench, I was kinda screwed.

So, I started walking toward the nearest town, about three miles out, where I knew there was a bar and would likely be some guys with tools in their trucks. I made it about two miles, when the cavalry showed up - a lovely young couple out on their road bikes. They stopped and immediately offered to help. To make things even worse, my spare tubes were bad...and their spare was bad...and the guy literally rode back to town (the one I was heading to) to get more tubes.

So, that's a shout out to Matt and Heidi! I still hope I didn't ruin their ride, and for the past three years, I've owed them a tube.
Likes For wipekitty:
Old 07-15-19, 05:46 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,314 Times in 2,700 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick
One day on the way home I saw a beamer with a flat. I crossed the rode and offered to help. The thin female with the butch and the attitude told me she was a layer and I must of done something to cause her to get a flat so I could charge her money.
Wow! Thin, female, butch, beamer, attitude,layer.... You are lucky you came away with the jewels intact! If I am riding alone I will sometimes assist turtles in their crossing of the rode.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 07-15-19, 06:39 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Liked 15,284 Times in 7,226 Posts
I have ferried turtles, helped with flats, given directions and even trued wheels for people during my x-country tour. A few years ago, during a tour, I saved some of my food for a couple who was behind me. They had planned to camp at the same place but did not make it there before the store closed. They ended up pressing on up the road without my knowledge. Still, I thought it was a nice gesture on my part. Gave away some extra spinach to another couple a few days later. In 2000, while touring in Yellowstone N.P., I gave a German woman my ACA map that I no longer needed.

I am sure if I sat here for a while I could come up with more stuff.
Old 07-15-19, 06:45 AM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Picked up my share of glass, nails, and screws off of the road.......
...and rocks, bricks, boards, bottles, a busted-up computer screen, tree branches, garbage cans/lids, turtles, etc.etc.
Likes For Brocephus:
Old 07-15-19, 07:13 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/02/sport...ntl/index.html
Likes For bruce19:
Old 07-15-19, 07:49 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts

I have previously posted to similar threads, including this particularly “heroic” one:Life-saving cyclists”:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I’m not sure about the intent of this thread. Is it to inform us about cycling paramedics, or exhort cyclists to become roving responders?

We have cycling EMTs at major city events impassable by cars, but not on a futile routine patrol; rather on alert in ambulances to respond quickly and sometimes under dire circumstances.

I would think that stopping at a medical crisis situation could be fraught with hazards and liabilities.

Nonetheless I recognize that even in mundane situations of distress, cyclists have a unique opportunity for such “random acts of kindness.” For example…I have also returned two cell phones and one wallet lying in the street.
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I usually offer while rolling ... "need anything?" only stopping if they do. this past year, only 1 taker
Originally Posted by winston63
Yep, that's my MO in these situations. I've had a couple of people who did need help and it's: gratifying to be able to help them out.
I once posted regarding good deeds that cyclists perform as a result of their nimbleness, flexibility, and accessibility is that we are the Knights Errant of the Road
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The adjective errant (meaning "wandering, roving") indicates how the knight-errant would wander the land in search of adventures to prove his chivalric virtues, either in knightly duels (pas d'armes) or in some other pursuit of courtly love
For example…
On one of the worst winter days I have ridden by bike on studded tires, I was able to stop three different times, to push hapless drivers spinning their wheels on icy roads to get onto less slippery patches.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 07-15-19 at 08:23 AM.
Old 07-15-19, 07:58 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
still feeling guilty about not asking this guy, cuz I thought he might be a morning commuter w a simple flat (don't know why he is walking in the road & not the sidewalk). I was on a mission not a joy ride, anyway that was my reasoning

but after riding 18 miles, I was repaid via Karma, by breaking a spoke 4 miles from work & had to wait over an hour for a pickup. still got to work early so I clearly had enough time to help fix a flat. bad me

Last edited by rumrunn6; 07-15-19 at 08:01 AM.
Old 07-15-19, 08:02 AM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by Brocephus
...and rocks, bricks, boards, bottles, a busted-up computer screen, tree branches, garbage cans/lids, turtles, etc.etc.
Cobble Stone?

No, it didn't come from the road/bike lane that it was sitting in the middle of.

Tossing pallets out of the way?
Old 07-15-19, 08:05 AM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I have ferried turtles
No turtles on the road around here, but I've chased Gopher Snakes off of the road.
Old 07-15-19, 08:16 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
...If I am riding alone I will sometimes assist turtles in their crossing of the rode.
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I have ferried turtles…
When we were on our cross country bike tour we considered turtles our mascot, slow, carrying their shelter on their back, and susceptible to cars.
Originally Posted by coffeesnob
Turtles on the road”

Have you, would you stop and pick up and move a turtle that was crossing the road to ensure it's safety? Either on bike or motor vehicle
A few years ago,
One of my most heart-wrenching cycling experiences was when I saw a turtle in the road. I rode on by for several yards, not more than about 100, and decided to turn around and move it to the side of the road.

Just then, a big tan SUV drove by and ran it over, smashing it to bits. I couldn’t be sure if it was deliberate, but the SUV tires went directly over the turtle.

I certainly learned the lesson, not to hesitate, or second-guess when thinking about a good deed (”We may never pass this way again”), but man, those turtles, like the OP, should stick to the Bike Paths.
Originally Posted by Stucky
@Jim from Boston I'm not the only one who stops to move turtles?!
Old 07-15-19, 08:17 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by CliffordK
No turtles on the road around here, but I've chased Gopher Snakes off of the road.
I once startled a yellow bellied racer in SD. I also asked some hairy cows to move, but they ignored me.

Old 07-15-19, 08:19 AM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 817 Times in 420 Posts
Not especially heroic, but while on a club group ride we came across a pile of broken concrete blocks on the Las Posas on ramp to PCH. We stopped and picked up the pieces. It was somewhat self serving, since one of our riders hit a piece and flatted. While she worked on the tire, we got busy picking up concrete.

Yesterday just up the road from here is a Missile Park at Hueneme Navy Base, and we stopped there for a rest stop. There was a nice woman cyclist picking up trash around the base of a F4 mounted aircraft. She commented on what pigs some people are. We asked if maybe the birds did it? Her answer was "What kind of bird could open a heavy metal bear proof lid?"

Maybe two legged fool birds. She was almost done, but we picked up a few pieces that were left. Pigs, indeed.

Bent guard rail, concrete pieces all over.

All clean...for now.

Last edited by Slightspeed; 07-17-19 at 07:40 PM.
Likes For Slightspeed:
Old 07-15-19, 08:32 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Mitch, a former US Marine and Cat 3 champion for the state of Georgia would frequently help cyclists struggling up hills. He would ride up behind someone, put his hand on their back and pedal, giving them a push.
Old 07-15-19, 10:37 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Not necessarily heroic, but I found another riders seatbag with his Blackberry (it was a while ago) keys etc... and was able to get it back to him. Also called 911 to help a guy passed out in the grass one night, he turned out to be a regular at the ER due to alcohol.
Old 07-15-19, 10:57 AM
indyfabz

Shoed off a tweeker at the Bike Camp in Twin Bridges, MT. Others were around sleeping and he looked up to no good.
Old 07-15-19, 11:09 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
I think he wins!
Old 07-15-19, 11:17 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
The wallet things seem to even out over time. I've returned a few to the owners or brought them to the police, and one time while riding, a guy in a car who I had never seen before pulled up alongside me and called me by name. He was holding my wallet, and recognized me from the ID photo.

My biggest life-saving deed was I deterred a flock of wild turkeys from crossing a busy four lane highway by screaming a weird noise at them, so they turned around and went back into the woods. I expect my Nobel Prize any minute now.
Old 07-15-19, 11:57 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 4,497 Times in 3,009 Posts
I always move rocks off the county roads when they shred the grass so others will not hit them with their cars. But I don’t let anybody see me do this good deed because I don’t wan’t to be sued.
Old 07-15-19, 12:02 PM
55murray

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Brocephus
Yea that is my thing as well. A popular one is sections of 4X4 that fall out of trucks.
Old 07-15-19, 02:44 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
I've lost count of how many cars I've either pushed out of the road, or helped to change a flat, both while riding my bike, and occasionally while driving.

I've hauled a 2 gallon gas can a few miles to fill up and biked back to a stranded motorist (it was their gas can, obviously) maybe 3 times. Each time was never more than 3 miles or so, easy on a bike, but that's a pretty long way to walk.

I've saved a few tortoises, many snakes (I did a lot of biking in AZ), and the occasional stray cat.

Non-bike related, I've been in the 'right' place at the right time:
- A lady had a seizure in the middle of a grocery store. She cracked her head on a sharp counter as she fell. I directed the people to get me ice, paper towels, paramedics, etc. and kept her stable until the paramedics showed up.

- I've given CPR 3 times: One was a fall from a ~12 foot balcony (the balcony railing gave way while this lady was leaning on it). She lived and was ok, but lost several teeth, broke every rib on one side, her collar bone, and shoulder blade;

One was a guy at a pool that slipped on the diving board, hit the back of his head on the board, then faceplanted in the water, pulled him out, he was ok but had a mild concussion.

The other was a bad rollover accident that happened on the interstate right behind me. A white pickup rolled about 9-10 times (I watched it all happen in my rear view), the driver was ejected (no seatbelt) and landed about 70 yards from the truck in the median. A few of us stopped and rendered aid. The guy made it to the hospital, but never recovered.

I pulled a swimmer out of a lake once, before he drowned. He was going under and struggling when I got to him, about 30 yards from shore.

Last edited by Notso_fastLane; 07-16-19 at 03:37 PM. Reason: should have been "30 yards"
Old 07-15-19, 02:56 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Sometimes I'll pull for an entire 30 seconds before I hide in the back of the group for the rest of the ride.

I don't like to toss around the word "hero" lightly, but if that's what people want to call me...
Likes For ksryder:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.