Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

In need of advice.

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

In need of advice.

Old 07-23-19, 10:50 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
In need of advice.

I am riding a Cannondale Quick 3 and 7 due to a back surgery a few years ago. I would like to move to a road bike but not a model with an aggressive geometry. I would like to stay with Cannondale but am willing to test ride other brands. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Can be disc or caliper and have a budget of $1,000. to $1,500. and would be selling the Quick 7. I have had the rear cogs on the 3 swapped from an 11-32 to a 11-36 as my area has some very steep hills and I am 70 years old. The swap of the cogs was an effort to save the old knees and it made a noticeable difference. Also, if you think I am better off staying with the 3 please say so. My average speed is 11.5 and my distance is around 12. Working on making it a longer time and distance as my longer rides are 15-18 miles.
Thanks in advance for your time, Frank.
Old 07-23-19, 12:20 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
I say stick with what you have.

I think the flat bar bike is probably best. Given your back and fit issues, I doubt you will ever use the drops on a true road bike.

You could try different tires that are more road bike oriented, which may make for a faster ride.
Old 07-23-19, 12:25 PM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Originally Posted by topflightpro

I think the flat bar bike is probably best. Given your back and fit issues, I doubt you will ever use the drops on a true road bike.

You could try different tires that are more road bike oriented, which may make for a faster ride.
Been leaning that way but my memories of my old Columbia road bike, back in the 80's, have had a real pull on my mind.
Thanks, Frank.
Old 07-23-19, 01:21 PM
Money D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Specialized Diverge?
Likes For Money D:
Old 07-23-19, 01:29 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3895 Post(s)
Liked 4,822 Times in 2,226 Posts
Get a bike with headtube tall enough that you can be fitted to ride comfortably in the drops, then riding the tops or the hoods will be even more upright. Most people get fit to riding primarily on the hoods - that doesn’t have to be the case, as one should be comfortable in all positions. That’s supposed to be the advantage of drop bars!
Old 07-23-19, 01:41 PM
topflightpro

You can also put bar ends on your flat bars if you need additional grip positions.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 07-23-19, 01:56 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro

Drop bars don't have to be fit aggressively.
Likes For HTupolev:
Old 07-23-19, 02:01 PM
Helderberg

Thank you all. Are there better, less aggressive geometry wise, models of bike? I have read that, in the Cannondale line for instance, the Synapse is a less aggressive design than say the EVO. Am I correct or am I missing the point?
Frank.
Old 07-23-19, 02:17 PM
topflightpro

Yes, there are. Cannondale Synapse, Specialized Roubaix, Trek Domane are all examples of more relaxed geometry bikes you can consider.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 07-23-19, 02:17 PM
dougphoto

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
I have some back and shoulder issues, I switched to a canondale slate a few years ago and it made a huge difference to me. You don't realize the pounding road bike deal you until you ride something softer. In hindsight, I think the fat tires have more of an effect than the left fork, so I'd recommend you get something you can put fat tires on. I ride 650b 42mm slicks, they are surprisingly fast and amazingly comfortable. But I won't be winning any hill climb competitions. You should be able to get a slate 105 used with in your price range.
Likes For dougphoto:
Old 07-23-19, 02:35 PM
illdrag0n

Bikes: 2014 Focus Mares AX 2.0, 2019 Cube Litening C:62 Race Disc Teamline

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 68 Posts
Giant Defy is also one to add to the list
Likes For illdrag0n:
Old 07-23-19, 09:31 PM
bradyweb

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV Disc Ultegra | Fuji Sportif 1.5 - 2017 | Windsor Cyclo Cross Bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
The Fuji Sportif model definitely has that less aggressive geometry you are looking for. I ride the Sportif 1.5 and it has done me well, although I am now looking to get something which does has a slightly more aggressive geometry myself. The Sportif has an enormous head tube which provides a more relaxed and upright posture. Quality bike and components though.
Likes For bradyweb:
Old 07-24-19, 01:53 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Busted up back, neck and shoulders here too. At age 61 I'm doing pretty well all things considered, but my neck and shoulders haven't aged well.

If I get another drop bar bike it'll be a more relaxed endurance type geometry, bigger tires -- at least 700x28, preferably larger -- with bar tops at saddle height and drops for only occasional use.

For now I'm still enjoying my road bikes ('89 Ironman, Trek 5900) but even after months of physical therapy and lots of work on my neck, there will always be limitations. Some days 20-30 mile rides are fun, and it quickly becomes work after 40-50 miles when the neck pain kicks in.

While I also enjoy my more relaxed hybrid (currently with albatross swept bars), the advantage to drops are the versatile hand positions. Even without using the drops, there are at least three hand positions -- tops, on the hoods, and somewhere between. Most of us shift around those positions a lot. Really helps over longer rides. You might find yourself enjoying longer rides with a drop bar bike set up to accommodate your body.

An alternative? Consider switching one of your flat bar bikes to swept bars -- albatross, North Roads or similar. These are remarkably comfortable and versatile bars, with almost as many hand positions as drop bars. I enjoy my hybrid much more now than when I had riser and flat bars on it. Several other modifications too -- primarily, I switched from thumb shifters to bar-end shifters. Lots of little fit adjustments. I'm still trying to find the perfect saddle, but otherwise the bike is pleasant to ride up to 40-50 miles in a day, usually relaxed group rides around 12 mph with lots of breaks to rest and socialize. Nice change of pace from my road bikes. More fun, less competition and work.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 07-24-19, 08:41 AM
Helderberg

canklecat, I have to admit that the neck and shoulder thing is starting to be a consideration as of late. I have narrowed my bars and that has helped but when I get up to around an hour + on a ride I can feel it in my neck. The change in bars might be an alternative that I will have to look into. Thanks.
Frank.
Old 07-24-19, 08:42 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,782 Times in 3,300 Posts
Are you going to be able to devote more time to riding? A road bike isn't a fast bike as much as it really is an endurance bike. Of course like any bike you can equip it and adjust your fit to it so it leans more towards fast.

If are not going to increase the amount of time you spend in the saddle per ride, then it really is not a big deal which way you go. If you just like the looks and color of the bike, go for it.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 07-24-19, 11:10 AM
Helderberg

Originally Posted by Iride01
Are you going to be able to devote more time to riding? A road bike isn't a fast bike as much as it really is an endurance bike. Of course like any bike you can equip it and adjust your fit to it so it leans more towards fast.

If are not going to increase the amount of time you spend in the saddle per ride, then it really is not a big deal which way you go. If you just like the looks and color of the bike, go for it.
I have to be honest, that "Something Shiny" sure makes this a difficult decision to make on pure logic. I will take your advice seriously.
Thanks, Frank.