Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

How do we know when it's time to stop?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-18, 08:20 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus
I'm on the internet when I'm supposed to work. I guess the day I can retire and go on extra long trip is the day I will severely reduce my exposure to the internet :-)
This!
Old 01-05-18, 08:25 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
40 degrees (F) is roughly where I draw the line. Colder than that and I head to the gym spinning classes a couple of times per week.
It was -40 at our house this morning.
Old 01-05-18, 08:26 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
I am a lawyer by profession. I get paid for my opinion. If I ain’t getting paid, I ain’t opining.

Is that simple.
Old 01-05-18, 08:35 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Stop when you stop having fun.

If it is irritating and annoying you and just isn't fun anymore ... stop and do something else for a while.

This goes for anything recreational ... bicycle riding, posting on internet, going to the gym, knitting ...
Old 01-06-18, 09:20 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Stop when you stop having fun.

If it is irritating and annoying you and just isn't fun anymore ... stop and do something else for a while.

This goes for anything recreational ... bicycle riding, posting on internet, going to the gym, knitting ...
Seriously. You could always join a synchronized crochet’ing team.
Old 01-06-18, 10:16 PM
raceboy

Bikes: One of each: Road, Hybrid, Trekking

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 53 Posts
It's like booze or drugs. If you're asking yourself the question, it's probably time to stop.
Old 01-07-18, 06:46 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3683 Post(s)
Liked 5,448 Times in 2,769 Posts
Originally Posted by raceboy
It's like booze or drugs. If you're asking yourself the question, it's probably time to stop.
Old 01-07-18, 07:29 AM
IronM

Bikes: Fuji Transonic, Ridley Excalibur, Foundry Overland, Niner EMD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
I’m a cyclist and love to discuss cycling. In the winter, however, it’s easy to feel isolated as we’re not out with our buddies so much. I can’t (and shouldn’t) bring up cycling at work or home. So, yeah – social media can be a fantastic outlet.
Old 01-07-18, 07:38 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I ride for weight control, exercise, and the pure fun of it. I simply do not find it fun riding below the temp of 65. I have for a bike club ride, but I prefer not to. I do not like riding unless I can ride in shorts.

During the 4 rotten winter months of Nov, Dec, Jan, and Feb, I go the the club and ride their recumbent exercise machine, since I ride bents. Even with a TV on it I still have to force myself to go. But ----------- I do pretty much maintain my leg strength over the winter. It also keeps about 10 pounds of fat off over those 4 months.
Old 01-07-18, 07:58 AM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
I think It's best to stop once I've had four or five pints of beer.

My responses then are not very considered!

Old 01-07-18, 09:18 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
That's what I'm talking about. I seem to have lost the ability to clearly make my point
I’m assuming the decision will be crowd-sourced. If I become too big of an idiot and expose that fact too frequently, I assume people will yell at me. Or, I get bored with this relative to my other interests.
Old 01-08-18, 12:34 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by Gerryattrick
I think It's best to stop once I've had four or five pints of beer.

My responses then are not very considered!

Are we talking U.S. pints or British pints?
Old 01-08-18, 04:29 AM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Are we talking U.S. pints or British pints?
I'm embarrassed to say, the British version.

But I will be cutting back this year, if I can find a pub that sells beer in US pint glasses.
Old 01-08-18, 11:33 AM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
When I forget where I parked my bike.
Old 01-08-18, 12:23 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by Gerryattrick
I'm embarrassed to say, the British version.

But I will be cutting back this year, if I can find a pub that sells beer in US pint glasses.
Meh. Some U.S. pubs are trying to pass off 12 oz glasses as pints now. Depends on the alcohol content. I'll admit, 8 oz glasses are fine for the 10% winter brew I'm fond of at a friend's tap room.

Old 01-08-18, 08:38 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 139 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Is BF a twitter alternative?
I'm just one person here, by all means post whatever you want.
Old 01-09-18, 07:13 AM
Jim from Boston

Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts

I was amused that some of the replies thought it meant to stop cycling, and some thought it meant to stop posting to BF, or stop drinking. After about nine years posting on BikeForums, I have dropped off posting to the public forums. This has been a good thing for me and has freed up a lot of time, since I invested a lot of time and effort to post. I resumed a more active riding schedule this summer (though as usual too little with my busy work and family life and posting is at least vicarious cycling).

Nonetheless,I still read my favorite subforums daily, particularly posts by my many favored subscribers, as well as those I consider grumps. I still like to reply, as a PM, when I read a post that particularly resonates with me.

I have previously publicly posted to BF:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I cycle for (fun) exercise, particularly via commuting, and consider it a lifestyle. I also enjoy posting to Bike Forums as a self-proclaimed “wordsmith,” enjoying the mechanics of composing, as well as the communication…and posting is a form of escape (variety)….
Originally Posted by gerv
I often recall how BF played such a vital part in getting me out on the street and in better health....

What about you? What role did BF play in getting you out on two wheels?
I have been an avid cyclist, as a lifestyle since about 1972...I happened serendipitously on Bike Forums in 2008, and it was frankly incredible to find a community that shared so many concerns I had kept to myself as a lone cyclist.

This enthusiasm has definitely increased my enjoyment of cycling. As far as improving it, what I have gotten directly from BF are:
  • the motivation and tips to ride in rain, and wintry roads, i.e. studded tires
  • the Fifty-Plus Annual rides that motivate me to train in the nice weather
  • the safety tip to watch the front wheels of a car rather than the body or hood to anticipate what the driver is going to do
  • the opportunity to post and literally "journal" my thoughts and activities about cycling and lifestyle (even if nobody else reads them), but which I wouldn't write down otherwise
In my Introduction to BF, I wrote
I stumbled upon this Forum from another totally unrelated Blog and I was quite impressed at the volume of activity and range of interests…I have been perusing this site for afew weeks and I have had several comments to make this so I hope to make useful contributions to future discussion threads, as well as glean from the comments of others.
…I prefer more the experiential discussions on BF rather than the technical/materiel (hardware) Forums, so I daily visit General Discussion, Advocacy & Safety, Commuting, Fifty-Plus, Living Car Free, Road Cycling,Touring, and seasonally, Winter Cycling.
For me the heady days on the Forums were from about 2008 to 2016, in particular participating in the Fifty-Plus Annual Rides, which have since disappeared.

I think I have absorbed all the good advice I can for a complete and agreeable cycling lifestyle, and recently I have clicked on many fewer threads than before. In the past I have offered IMO several useful suggestions about cycling, particularly for winter and urban cycling, to multiple repetitive threads. They are usually lost in the morass of often scores of replies, both in agreement and dispute with mine.

I’m not especially motivated to read or write about rides in areas I will never visit, or bikes I would not buy.
Other cyclists’ biking stories are often meaningful to me, but usually not consequential enough for a reply. Frankly, now my main enjoyment is reading the personal clashes on the various threads, such as these current ones: "I work with a moron", or ”How often do you check your mirror?.
Originally Posted by BillyD
Anytime you have two individuals going at it for days and getting personal and disruptive and off topic . . . well it's time to say goodnight to the thread.

Closed.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 01-12-18 at 04:42 AM.
Old 01-09-18, 07:50 AM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
I've been on a number of forums and I've seen a trend. In our society, internet forums and other social media has introduced a somewhat aggressive behavior when sitting behind the safety of an anonymous keyboard, that likely would have never been exhibited before in a face to face encounter. And so, it seems there are those who get their jollies by slamming, flaming, or belittling others on forums that should be simply a meeting place to exchange information and ideas. Usually those are the ones themselves, who suffer some inferiority complex and need to tear others down.
I've seen this trending lately on BF.

I've left other forums because a a few that somehow feel they need to tear other's down, or justify their snotty behavior. No, I'm not thin skinned. Just that life is two short to have to wade through a bunch of people who seem incapable of acting and discussion in a civilized manner. I've seen too much tragedy and heartache in the lives of friends, acquaintances, and my own personal life to waste time with the drama and bad behavior of strangers on internet forums.

Last edited by WNCGoater; 01-09-18 at 12:58 PM.
Old 01-09-18, 08:40 AM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I would tend to agree. Despite I don't know how many tens of thousands of members here from around the world, I think I still get better answers from my local bike shop.

What has happened to this place is what happens to all public spaces and is not unique. People with nothing to occupy their time congregate there and cause problems, resulting in onerous rules and restrictions aimed at the mouth-breathers, but these rules only cause reasonable people to leave, and result in more undesirables accumulating and solidifying their little fiefdoms.

There are some extremely helpful and knowledgeable people here, but most have faded into the background, I'm assuming mainly because of the endless bickering, flaming, trolling, ego preening, alliances, and death by a thousand ant bites of dissenting opinions that goes on here. Bikes are supposed to be fun, and they most definitely are, but dealing with some of the toxic, over the top, wayyy overcritical people here is just too much on some days if you happen to have a regular job.

I'm not ready to flounce quite yet, not that anyone would care, but I'm beginning to understand why a lot of the better posters here are almost never seen. It's just basic common sense and wise use of your time to avoid places like this whenever possible.
Old 01-09-18, 08:51 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

I was amused that some of the replies thought it meant to stop cycling,
Yeah, hard to figure that one! Interesting to read that you have found a way to participate here that suits you better. I know you got a lot of push back due to your "unusual" posting style and extensive quoting of your own previous posts. I'm sure that did take up a lot of time!
Old 01-09-18, 10:19 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,485 Times in 1,840 Posts
Jim From Boston sighting!

Been saving that pic for a while ... Mr. "where are you from, Jim" (as he notes) hardly ever shows up any more.
Old 01-09-18, 10:49 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

That is hard core big boy riding!!
Old 01-09-18, 01:37 PM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
i know you got a lot of push back due to your "unusual" posting style and extensive quoting of your own previous posts. I'm sure that did take up a lot of time!
fya
Originally Posted by roody
...btw, off-topic, i have often noticed your clever andhelpful use of the forum's quote function. Along with your clear writing style,it makes your posts a delight to read
Originally Posted by jim from boston
hi roody,

thanks for that nice comment. Even though off-topic, i’ll take this ball andrun with it as my justification (”apologia”)…

posting has become an avocation for me. Since my job requires writing formalreports, with legal implications, i consider myself a “wordsmith,” and besidethe exchange of information and ideas, i enjoy the mechanics of writing, suchas grammar,composition, style, etc. For that addtional mental stimulation.

so with my experiences in cycling, and my frequent posting over the years,if i have replied on a recurrent topic, written to my satisfaction, i’ll justquote it. a further challenge then becomes finding the post…
Note how the quote function has eliminated all the capital letters. I have found the quote function difficult to use; it also splits quotes into separate quote boxes and eliminates spaces between words. Prior to the change that occurred on BikeForums a few years ago, those were never problems.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 01-10-18 at 05:10 AM.
Old 01-09-18, 01:40 PM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Jim From Boston sighting!

Been saving that pic for a while ... Mr. "where are you from, Jim" (as he notes) hardly ever shows up any more.
Hi Maelochs,

I don't think that is me in that picture, though I think the storefronts line Boylston St where I live.

Jim from Boston
Old 01-09-18, 01:46 PM
leftthread

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 105 Posts
When I forget where I parked my bike, I start my search under the street light and next to the keys.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.